First Lurcher..

Should be getting my first Lurcher in a couple of months! :D

I've grown up around dogs, both pets and working labs but have never spent alot of time or owned a Lurcher before..

I'll eventually want to use it daytime and lamping for various quarry and some of the fields round here are a fair size so I take it I'll want something with a bit of gears?

Any advice on feeding, rearing as a pup, training etc would be appreciated..

Also If there's any litters coming up in the next few months close to Suffolk but I'm willing to travell for the right pup.

Butch ;)

Hi mate

Well I will say take your time and don't rush the pup let it be a pup and allow it to develop fully before you work it.Get it around livestock and stock train it , get the recall down first as this is very important, retrieving start of short retrieves and gradually build up distance , jumping when abit older so you don't damage the pup.

It will take some time and effort but if you fully commit and focus on the pup it'll come good .

For training you want to get Purdeys progress DVD it's a great help it covers all aspects of training . If your after a copy drop mrpit a pm

atb mate hope you find the right pup for you , keep us posted on your progress

JD

Yep mate no problem I class my dogs as working companions , they work and fill the pot but go everywere we me lol I'm never without a mutt by my side.

if you drop mrpit a pm he will sort you out with a copy of the DVD it really helped me

Atb pal

JD