I find it strange when people say Whippets have no pace !! Pace is their main attribute ! I've had a few of the Non-Ped Racing Type Whippets that took hare regularly, but I doubt if the Ped types can do it regular. Of course they will take the odd one, but can never be considered "hare dogs" ! I think it was Walsh who said a Whhippet was overmatched by a hare, and hare wasn't realy a Whippets legitimate quarry, and he was the Whippets biggest supporter, and heavily involved in the NWCC ! Great dogs, but as I said on the Whippet v Fox thread,yes they CAN do it, by why overmatch them, when there are far better dogs at the job ?

Cheers.

What do you mean by pace..not a dig im just wondering.. as folk most certainly have different veiw's and idea's..my idea of pace is a dog running at speed but not putting everything into it..and running for a long period of time covering a lot of ground with each effortless stride...i have seen the odd grey with good pace and even a whippet x grey but never a pure whippet..as i think there back's and bodies are too small..

Hi, my idea of pace may be different to some others idea , but when watching Racing Whippets we talk of early pace; finishing pace, etc. So i would class "pace" as speed, acceleration, etc. I would differ with you view of "not putting everything into it", as a dog with early pace, is, in my mind, putting its all into it. I wouldn't confuse a dog pacing itself when running, with the type of pace I'm talking about. But these are only my oppinions, and "pace" may mean different things to different people.

Cheers.

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whippet's are bunny dog's anything else they take is a bonus and shouldnt be expected regular imo

From a purely aesthetic view ,if there is a finer sight on God's green earth than a whippet in full flow behind a hare ,then I haven't seen it .

the Whippet Coursing Club must have been wasting their time for 5 decades, should of asked you before they formed   The answer is yes they can and yes they do have enough stamina and no they dont ca

They havent got the stamina for big winter hares...

they might lack top end speed,but for stamina not a hope have you owend a whippet to come up with that id think not, you might get the odd pearl that will take them reguraly,but most wont.

yes a very fine one :yes:

they might lack top end speed,but for stamina not a hope have you owend a whippet to come up with that id think not, you might get the odd pearl that will take them reguraly,but most wont.

couldnt of been that fine if you think they have no stamina,this dog could run all day and night

post-32721-076170700 1278185973_thumb.jpg

post-32721-077302200 1278185869_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

the Whippet Coursing Club must have been wasting their time for 5 decades, should of asked you before they formed

The answer is yes they can and yes they do have enough stamina and no they dont catch as many as other sighthounds

try watching this to see a whippets stamina

I said they dont have stamina for big winter hare's , and i stand by my word's take a whippet to the fens and put it behind a big winter hare and see what happens :yes:

i have and thats why im commenting

Hi, my idea of pace may be different to some others idea , but when watching Racing Whippets we talk of early pace; finishing pace, etc. So i would class "pace" as speed, acceleration, etc. I would differ with you view of "not putting everything into it", as a dog with early pace, is, in my mind, putting its all into it. I wouldn't confuse a dog pacing itself when running, with the type of pace I'm talking about. But these are only my oppinions, and "pace" may mean different things to different people.

Cheers.

:victory:

couldnt of been that fine if you think they have no stamina,this dog could run all day and night

No good on the fens for winter hares thou...He was a cracking ferret,lamping dog he died in october broke his neck lamping ...

No good on the fens for winter hares thou...He was a cracking ferret,lamping dog he died in october broke his neck lamping ...

yes the dog above was a cracking ferreting dog had an exellent nose,good lamp dog to,not a great hare dog caught a few,but he had bags of stamina just lacked abit of top end speed.sorry to hear about your dog pal.

No prob's i suppose he died doing what he enjoyed id put a pic up of him but cant work it out :huh: i did try him on hares but they just burned him out :yes: thats why im saying they have no stamina for big strong winter hares ;) ive a saluki greyhound dog now bred out of khan .

Guest born to run1083

the Whippet Coursing Club must have been wasting their time for 5 decades, should of asked you before they formed

The answer is yes they can and yes they do have enough stamina and no they dont catch as many as other sighthounds

try watching this to see a whippets stamina

I said they dont have stamina for big winter hare's , and i stand by my word's take a whippet to the fens and put it behind a big winter hare and see what happens :yes:

A whippet has been ran and killed well on the fens been seen by quite a few aswell, I havnt been lucky enough to have seen it up there tho but the whippet I saw could catch winter hares in big enough fields

Pace in my eyes is flat out top end speed, whippets supposedly are the 2nd fastest breed though this is disputed as I've also heard the saluki is faster than a greyhound

No chance the only other animal that can accelerate faster than the greyhound is a Cheetah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound

I'm sure the Guinness book of records stated that the saluki reached the highest top speed, I can't believe but if they said so...

Pace in my eyes is flat out top end speed, whippets supposedly are the 2nd fastest breed though this is disputed as I've also heard the saluki is faster than a greyhound

No chance the only other animal that can accelerate faster than the greyhound is a Cheetah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound

I'm sure the Guinness book of records stated that the saluki reached the highest top speed, I can't believe but if they said so...

on the same article it says The Greyhound holds the record for fastest recorded dog, but over what distance???

• Like 1