Roost Shooting with a very generous member

Hi all,

I thought I'd drop a line or 3 about a fun-filled pigeon shooting trip I had with Paulus on sunday.

Although I've been out a couple of times before with him, this was the first time I'd been out with him and a new gun for the day - Elmer Fudd.

Paulus had responded to EF's request to go out shooting and even magnanimously offered to loan him his trusty 20ga O/U and supply the necessary carts and coach from the side as required. Furthermore, Paulus himself wouldn't be doing any shooting himself, but would be there as picker up too! He used Flash, his working lurcher who really knew his job (s) for picking up and retrieving.

What a true gent, whichever way you look at him!

We ventured to the roost in Pauls permission by his 'dog van' as transport and got there a couple of hours before sunset. We chose a dog leg in the wood on the leeside, where the birds would be heading into roost, being sheltered from the powerful prevailing winds.

With the wind averaging 25mph and gusting to nearly 40, the pigeons were coming in high and FAST! Like blue/grey missiles which made for very challenging shooting. A couple of other shooters were doing the same but on 'their' side of the wood which only added to the speed of many of the birds we saw.

In fact, every now and then we'd see or feel the patter of lead falling!

Sometimes I have the luck of the devil and ended up in a decent spot in the corner of the dog leg of the wood; little warning as to when the birds came over but at least I was getting some fairly regular shots.

After I'd got my eye in (inevitably missing the first few missiles) I adjusted to the crazy speed and height of the birds and started connecting pretty regularly - even managing a decent left n right (or 'up and under' as I shoot o/u guns) which I was very chuffed with.

EF (Gary) actually managed to connect with a bird pretty early on (3rd shot I think), which was no mean feat given his limited experience of shotgunning. His limited experience showed when I spotted some tell-tale yellow 20g carts that he'd dropped on the way to the wood - he'd put a cartridge belt on upside down! (sorry Gary - pulling no punches lol!)

Sadly for Gary 'his' birds were fewer coming over than for me and his first bird was also his last of the day. I realised by the end that Gary had ahd fewer shots than me so I offered to trade places, but luck didnt hold and light faded all too fast.

The bag may not have been huge - 14 birds, but what a crackin' afternoons sport!

We left the wood 15 minutes before sundown to allow the birds to settle for the night. If you don't do this, they will abandon their roost, and you effectively kill it off as a roost for quite some time.

Once we got back to Pauls wagon (looking out for dropped carts on the way lol) I reflected on just how good a job Pauls dog, Flash had done in retrieving. It didn't seem to matter how deep the undergrowth was in the wood, Flash was quick in tracking down the fallen birds. He was good on double drops too - marking the 2nd bird as he picked the first.

Paul managed a couple of pics when the opportunity presented itself:

5mzw4y.jpg

vewt3r.jpg

250id74.jpg

fa6e5v.jpg

and possibly my favourite pic - Flash following the snowy falling trail of feathers to help him pinpoint the bird:

2qa4jz6.jpg

So, great thanks and appreciation to Paulus; a proper stand-up guy :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my favorate photo he dropped it and was left with a mouth full of feathers

should have gone to specsavers its a dog always a use for the old ones

Posted Images

well what can i say nerves and inexperience with a two year plus absent from the gun showed Sunday :icon_redface: . I have broad set of shoulder to take mate!!! :thumbs: , but i thank Paul for the offer and hopefully will get out again...might take the air gun or nick you spot Duncan? :boogy: .

As Duncan has alluded to the dog, flash, what a performer and retriever. Phenomenal working dog with true class a credit to Paul and his experience as trainer.

In my deference and Paul will vouch i definitely hit two more one we though would come down, but opened its wings and off it went.... :censored:. But i had a great time and Paul and Duncan both seem very nice guys.

Thanks Guys :thumbs:

it was a good afternoon, could have been better, but circumstances dictated otherwise, its always abit funny when you first meet someone off here not knowing what to expext but i have to say gaz aka mr fudd is a sound lad.

it was a good afternoon, could have been better, but circumstances dictated otherwise, its always abit funny when you first meet someone off here not knowing what to expext but i have to say gaz aka mr fudd is a sound lad.

Thank you very much mate and back at you mate... I had a very good day out and you permission is amazing. Top member and top offer thank you once again mate.

Many Thanks

well what can i say nerves and inexperience with a two year plus absent from the gun showed Sunday :icon_redface: . I have broad set of shoulder to take mate!!! :thumbs: , but i thank Paul for the offer and hopefully will get out again...might take the air gun or nick you spot Duncan? :boogy: .

As Duncan has alluded to the dog, flash, what a performer and retriever. Phenomenal working dog with true class a credit to Paul and his experience as trainer.

In my deference and Paul will vouch i definitely hit two more one we though would come down, but opened its wings and off it went.... :censored:. But i had a great time and Paul and Duncan both seem very nice guys.

I know mate; at the heights they were coming in sometimes you can hit them and its just not hard enough! That's why I upped my chokes a notch each - even then, I had a few fly on a bit too far for any dog to retrieve. Still, if it was too easy, it'd be boring! Nice meeting you too Gary - good luck with your sgc :)

I know mate; at the heights they were coming in sometimes you can hit them and its just not hard enough! That's why I upped my chokes a notch each - even then, I had a few fly on a bit too far for any dog to retrieve. Still, if it was too easy, it'd be boring! Nice meeting you too Gary - good luck with your sgc :)

Its Gaz mate :yes: ... cheers last semester now.