Rabbiting dog

Later on in the year (Octoberish) i will be looking for another lurcher pup (DOG) :D At the moment im running a

27" Grey/Deer/Saluki/Whippet (dog) and also have a JRT x Patt (bitch) for bushing. So what im looking for is something that will make around the 22" mark, that is explosive off the mark and is fiery but not aggressive with my other dogs.

A while back i put a whippet across my 23" Bull X. I`ve been out lamping & ferreting with two of the pups that mates have had, and i`ve found them to be crackin little workers quick of the mark, good with other dogs, but game enough if needed.

HPIM0064family-1.jpg

Dam. Bull X center. Dog pup Left. Bitch pup right.

Yis Mars.

Nice Dogs Mars. Mate has 2 Bull/Grey X Whippet pups.The Dam the Bull/Grey had determination and would go through anything to get her kill,But she is a bit to stocky and lacked a bit of fire on the turn,The pups have resulted in good all rounders with stamina to burn and have accounted a good haul of rabbits.I think people under estimate the Stamina levels of a Whippet or Greyhound.

Greyhounds being the ultimate coursing dog,Far superior to any Lurcher,As seen in the Waterloo cup.And some of the greyhounds having good race careers as Marathon dogs,No Stamina would soon show on the track.I am considering using a whippet or greyhound on one of my col/grey in the summer and am seriuosly considering a straight greyhound over her.Whippet/Greyhounds are ultimate race dog built for speed.I think after 1/4 of deerhound,Collie,Bed,Kelpie,Bull etc they lose it as a race dog.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THATS A STRANGE COMMENT, ABOUT GREYHOUND BEING THE BEST COURSING DOGS. THEY MAY WELL BE THE FASTEST DOG ON EARTH. BUT THEY ARE BY NO MEANS THE BEST COURSING DOG, AS HAS BEEN PROVED OVER THE YEARS BY CROSSING THEM WITH SALUKI'S AND OTHER BREEDS .

IN OTHER WORDS A LURCHER IS THE BEST COURSING DOG.

BUT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL POST.

I HAVE A LITTLE KELPIE X WHIPP GREY 3/4 THATS COMING ON A TREAT AT THE RABBITS 22" 43 LBS OF ROCK HARD MUSCLE REAL QUIK OVER THE SHORT DISTANCES.

BUT WEATHER THESE CROSSES ARE FOR EVRYONE IM NOT SURE :blink: TOMO

That true Tomo if your dog pleases you in your work thats all that matters.A Whippet/Greyhound or each will catch there quarry as fast as they can,A saluki likes to course behind abit.Just my opinion.A touch of collie or bedlington is good for abit of nose/Brains.But as I say if your dog works for you thtas all that matters.My 2 Coll/Grey crosses work well.

Guest buster

Later on in the year (Octoberish) i will be looking for another lurcher pup (DOG) :D At the moment im running a

27" Grey/Deer/Saluki/Whippet (dog) and also have a JRT x Patt (bitch) for bushing. So what im looking for is something that will make around the 22" mark, that is explosive off the mark and is fiery but not aggressive with my other dogs.

:laugh::laugh: ...Getting back on track!.... Never mind chasing plastic bags.. :black eye: :laugh: . 'Explosive off the mark' is what you need combined with intelligence of course!...Those two attributes are very high on the list imo for a good rabbiting dog. No good having a dumb dog that can't work out what the underground noise means and then being too slow off the mark.. :tongue2: ..

Get ready!

21stApril2007003.jpg

Go!

21stApril2007004.jpg

WELL DONE MATE :thumbs-up: :clapper:;)

Gotcha!

21stApril2007005.jpg

Ready again!

21stApril2007006.jpg

Alfa4096copy2Small.jpg

:)