rabbit numbers in parts of the UK

with the number of rabbits falling how do you lads start young dogs off and what would you run ?

iv got a young one just now, pretty much starting her off in same way as normal. Although the rabbits are harder to come across. other than that she is just running alongside the older one when he out looking for the rabbits big cousins :thumbs:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I doubt it helps when somewhere gets labeled as 'the place to go, to get massive bags' and every one and their brother is up there after them. You hammer a population from every angle and it will soon

i agree, everyone calls this place "the rabbits by me" every man round here knows there were loads, but it went shit, be lucky to see one rabbit, morning day or night lol eventually people stopped, bu

Sounds like paradise mate lol

with the number of rabbits falling how do you lads start young dogs off and what would you run ?

iv got a young one just now, pretty much starting her off in same way as normal. Although the rabbits are harder to come across. other than that she is just running alongside the older one when he out looking for the rabbits big cousins :thumbs:

yeah im ok still ave a few running about not as many as last year, i work some keepered land and he's not to botherd about rabbits but we have had mixy this year .

Rabbit numbers deffinately low. VHD has hit here and hit them hard. first saw the effects of the desease about 10 years ago where my uncle is keeper. We could go anywhere on the estate and get the dogs enough running in a couple of hours. There were rabbits everywhere and I mean a lot. Then the desease arrived and virtually wiped them out. Only picking up odd ones that had blood coming from their noses but they dissapeared and 10 years on they havent come back. There are odd rabbits around but nothing like there was. The last couple of years its hit my local ferreting ground with the odd pocket missing it but it is only time! The desease can lie dormant on the ground for 8 months and be carried on the moisture in the air. I know the rabbit is a survivor but I cant see them bouncing back after this. It was reported early last year that it had arrived in Scotland and that the wild rabbit population could be reduced by up to 90% If youve got good numbers enjoy it while you can. I know I was spoilt for choice and didnt think it would end .

Its internal bleeding mate sometimes blood coming out of nose and arse. I was working on a farm last spring. On the track up to the farm every morning there were rabbits. Then one day I was on the scaffolding and spotted a rabbit huddled up and not acting right so I went to inspect. It had no heat in its body and blood coming from the formentioned places so I did the decent thing. The next day there were no rabbits on the lane and the farmer says he hasnt seen any since. I think it can take up to 48hrs to kill them.

Its internal bleeding mate sometimes blood coming out of nose and arse. I was working on a farm last spring. On the track up to the farm every morning there were rabbits. Then one day I was on the scaffolding and spotted a rabbit huddled up and not acting right so I went to inspect. It had no heat in its body and blood coming from the formentioned places so I did the decent thing. The next day there were no rabbits on the lane and the farmer says he hasnt seen any since. I think it can take up to 48hrs to kill them.

man made or nature ?

I'm not sure think it originates from China. Its been around for years yet it gets mentioned very little amongst the hunting fraternaty. I believe its much worst than mixy. Google it theres plenty on the net about it. I know rabbit numbers fluctuate and its sometimes down to different things, but when they've had VHD you will know.

well from last winter to this winter, its over turned completely...theres another place, with lakes and a field near by, and the banking on the otherside of the field i counted 18 holes i could see,more in the thick cover probably, in about 25 yrds, and theres shit loads of signs that the rabbit is about, the otherside of the field is a forrestry commision thing...and when i say field, its about a quarter of size of average football pitch lol..but that place and the other place could only be shot over really but then its a public place so no shooting really...not ideal for dogs, although my bitch has run at a few and just missed but shes a big bitch,,youd probably have some fun with a whippet on that small piece of land...other than that its dead for rabbits..not alot about..not that i have come accross anyway

Edited by robwelsh