Retrieving problem

Hi all,

I have a 2 year old lab dog who has a bit of a problem with retrieving. He has a good nose and has no problem in marking and picking the bird but is reluctant to give it to hand. He stops about 2/3 yards away from me and runs round holding it but will not come in and release. he is not heavy mouthed. ive tried getting down on my knees with open arms and my back up a wall, also tried walking away and towards him but he still stays 2/3 yards away from me as if to say i fetched it im keeping it attitude. ive been told to try a treat for him when he returns but also been told this will make him drop the bird waiting for his treat, I dont know what to do next, any help will be greatly received

PS he also does this on dummies aswel as warm game, he has only been out in the field approx 8 weeks so dont think he is to young as dogs a lot younger retreive dummies with no problem

many thanks chunk

I had this same problem very early on. Max would mark and retrieve beautifully but then run around me in circles at top speed with the dummy in his mouth! I found the best way to stop it was to restrict his choices. We did ALL our retrieve training on a 4ft wide footpath with stock fencing either side every day for about 2 weeks.

If your dog still stops out of reach then you need to turn around and call it into heel. Try not to turn around to check if its following just keep walking and calling "heel". Once the dog is walking beside you gently take the dummy from it's mouth and then praise it.

Hope this works for you, atb.

novice speaking here :D

Couple fo things I've done, the first was to refuse to throw his ball or dummy until he gave it to me. I did this in the garden where there were no distractions. If he dropped in on the floor I would just take a few steps backwards and tell him to bring it back to me again until it ended up in my hand, the other thing was walk away as he was retrieving like mooch said he got next to me I gently take the dummy from him. I think soemtime if it looks like we're snatching from them they don't want to give it up.

Put the dummy in his mouth and hold it there gently telling him "hold" command, only briefly and then release it and praise. Repeat about 5-6 times do this every day until he will sit infront of you holding it until you say "dead" or what ever command you use. Then send a short retrieve and when he comes close give him the hold command and praise him for holding it when he gets to you. Works for me.

Edited by Rhodey
  • 2 weeks later...

Long rope attached to his collar. Throw the dummy shorter then the rope. Then reel him back to you with the rope take the dummy off him and give him plenty of praise. TIP When making a training lead it takes about 5 time more rope then you think it will!

its always the last few feet some dogs have a problem with, its the coming into your space area,

i try making coming in and making contact with me as the start of any exercise and throughout with the dog, i get the dog to actually put his paws on my chest

dogs which have be told off for jumping up or have experienced negative associations in your space can take work to bring round,

hand feeding is a good way of overcoming tension in the mutt it brings the dog up close and personal in what is a very sensitive act for the dog,

lowering your height for the final bit of the dogs retrieve, can make you more approachable but i would work on making the dog coming into your space as a very positive thing,

get him to make contact with you for him to get something from you, getting to hunt , getting food, basically anything he wants he must make contact, jumping up and giving me a dummy from his mouth might be a bit excessive for some but it leaves the dog at complete ease in your space

its a very frustrating act ,best of luck whichever way you approach it,

its a bit late to be starting off or is this a "late training problem/late starter"?

its all a big game to the dog, if the best game is "chase" then he will try to get you to chase him.

if the best game is "pull of war" then he will bring the dummy to your hand ( do this with a dummy/ rope toy not game!!!) the release command ( dead) should be firmly in place ( at which point the dummy is thrown again/game put in the bag and the dog praised to death!!!).

i would rather do this than the "forced retrieve" on a table, the dog brings because it wants to...........................

waidmannsheil!!!

its a bit late to be starting off or is this a "late training problem/late starter"?

its all a big game to the dog, if the best game is "chase" then he will try to get you to chase him.

if the best game is "pull of war" then he will bring the dummy to your hand ( do this with a dummy/ rope toy not game!!!) the release command ( dead) should be firmly in place ( at which point the dummy is thrown again/game put in the bag and the dog praised to death!!!).

i would rather do this than the "forced retrieve" on a table, the dog brings because it wants to...........................

waidmannsheil!!!

Hi, I havnt owned the dog from a pup i got him at about 18 months and the problem came with him im affraid. Theres was one or two little problems that i am gradually getting sorted but wasnt sure about this one but will try what you say

many thanks chunk

Long rope attached to his collar. Throw the dummy shorter then the rope. Then reel him back to you with the rope take the dummy off him and give him plenty of praise. TIP When making a training lead it takes about 5 time more rope then you think it will!

Do this........... :thumbs: Use a washing line for a lead.