I know this question has probably been asked before, but I am a novice and have a lot (approx 7 years) experience with air rifles, been clay shooting a couple of times, and want an fac for a .17 hmr. My grandfather has land and I would like to shoot rabbits and the "oppurtunistic" fox although I probably won't shoot any! I would also like to do some target shooting just at cans and paper targets etc on the same land. Does this provide good reason for an fac for this gun of this calibre? It is a 45 minute drive to the land and he would give me full permission to shoot. Also, would i be allowed to shoot at crows, magpies, squirrells etc? And would i have to declare them on the fac?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THE MAIN ONE IS CAN I APPLY FOR AN FAC WHEN I AM STILL 17 or do I have to be 18 as I am 18 in a few weeks but I am eager to apply.

Mitchell,

First of all, yes you can apply for an FAC when you are 17. You cannot buy firearms or ammunition until you are 18 but by the time you actually have it in your hands, then you should be 18 anyway.

I would say that if your grandfather is prepared to give you permission to shoot then you have good reason and when it comes to putting the reason for wanting a .17HMR on your application form, then you just need to say "Vermin Control" As for Fox, its whether your police force allows the shooting of Fox with a .17HMR, some do, some don't.

If you're planning to shoot "targets" be they paper, cans, dinner plates, whatever then you can do so on the same land as its just practice or "zeroing" the rifle which is accounted for on your FAC conditions.

"Vermin Control" covers every species you've mentioned apart from Fox which as I say, depends on your force.

SS

Thanks guys that helped a lot. Especially the advice about the birds being on the ground! It's about 40 acres I think but I'll probs only be shooting in one massive field, but it goes up and down so plenty of good backstops. Might ask neighbouring farms for permission as well.do you think they will gran permission for the land?

Mitchell,

First of all, yes you can apply for an FAC when you are 17. You cannot buy firearms or ammunition until you are 18 but by the time you actually have it in your hands, then you should be 18 anyway.

I would say that if your grandfather is prepared to give you permission to shoot then you have good reason and when it comes to putting the reason for wanting a .17HMR on your application form, then you just need to say "Vermin Control" As for Fox, its whether your police force allows the shooting of Fox with a .17HMR, some do, some don't.

If you're planning to shoot "targets" be they paper, cans, dinner plates, whatever then you can do so on the same land as its just practice or "zeroing" the rifle which is accounted for on your FAC conditions.

"Vermin Control" covers every species you've mentioned apart from Fox which as I say, depends on your force.

SS

So when I say what I'll use it for I'll say vermin control and zeroing the rifle, or do I not need the zeroing part? Also, can I put vermin control and target practice as I am joining a club and would like t do target and vermin control (once I've done a 3 month probationary period)

You dont need to put Zeroing pal, Just Vermin control. I got my Grant with only 50 achres. But it wouldnt hurt to try and get permission off the neighbouring farms.

As for putting target shooting down, i'd wait until you're a full member of the club. You can still use the rifle on the range in the mean time.

Cheers guys!

You don't really need to put target shooting down for calibers that you are asking for Vermin Control, because its accepted that you will do some target shooting and Zeroing anyway. However for anything above and beyond what your ground is passed for you would only get it if you were a member of a rifle club and would only be able to use that caliber on the range. so for example if your ground was passed up to .223 you could apply for .223 for fox control but if you wanted a .308 you wouldn't be able to get it for your ground, only the range where you were a member.