Can you give human painkillers to dogs ?

I just got a saluki cross and he has been neglected, he had an op in the vets today to have two big blood filled lumps drained from his ears. He is no in his kennel under a heat lamp but is whinning and in pain. Any idea if I can give him human painkillers like tramadol. he is on antibiotics and has a penicillin jab. Will our painkillers hurt him

• Like 1

I just got a saluki cross and he has been neglected, he had an op in the vets today to have two big blood filled lumps drained from his ears. He is no in his kennel under a heat lamp but is whinning and in pain. Any idea if I can give him human painkillers like tramadol. he is on antibiotics and has a penicillin jab. Will our painkillers hurt him

dont give him anything else, he as got enough in him with the above.If you did vou will upset is guts. If next time you need to give for pain relief , and he as nothing else in him ,give him a (asprin) 1 day. I give my dog if he as cuts or bites, my vet said they are ok for dogs and he does the greyhounds in w-ton track, had him for 20 years a very good vet. :yes:

• Like 1

Never use paracetamol, can give long term liver damage.

Asprin used sparingly as already said.

Chances are your vets will have given him a long acting painkilling injection after surgery, so wait till the day after before giving anything.

He will probably be whining because of the anaesthetic, it can do that to some dogs :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

iberprofen is poisous to dogs and tramadol is to strong it will damage the dogs liver , 250ml amoxacillin is ok or as said asprin in small doses give with food go on line and get some proper vet meds but if in doudt ask the vet or somebody who knows whats what or you will do more harm than good

• Haha 1