Talking to farmers

Hello folks,

this is really something that is hot on here, from what i can see permissions are the top topic of a lot of the posts ( annoying people take the mic out of people asking for permission on here it seems logical to me :hmm: ). Thus my question is how best is it done letters, fryers, business cards or face to face. All seem to have down sides. Number of land owners have looked very worried or very disapproving at me when i have gone face to face. So how would you approach and what would you say to introduce your self face to face. I ask more because i have dyslexia, and although i don't let it affect me verbally i can struggle when in certain situation i.e asking for permission.... I have also tried to join local gun clubs and have been looking at possible doing an fire arms awareness course to give me more clout when speaking to land owners...

Kind Regards

Elmer Fudd

• Like 1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello folks,   this is really something that is hot on here, from what i can see permissions are the top topic of a lot of the posts ( annoying people take the mic out of people asking for permissi

Hello folks,

this is really something that is hot on here, from what i can see permissions are the top topic of a lot of the posts ( annoying people take the mic out of people asking for permission on here it seems logical to me :hmm: ). Thus my question is how best is it done letters, fryers, business cards or face to face. All seem to have down sides. Number of land owners have looked very worried or very disapproving at me when i have gone face to face. So how would you approach and what would you say to introduce your self face to face. I ask more because i have dyslexia, and although i don't let it affect me verbally i can struggle when in certain situation i.e asking for permission.... I have also tried to join local gun clubs and have been looking at possible doing an fire arms awareness course to give me more clout when speaking to land owners...

Kind Regards

Elmer Fudd

hi buddy

some prefer F2F and some prefer letters with stamped address envelope enclosed!

with proof of shooting insurance! and waver of liability disclaimer.

I send letters my self and have done very well from them,and also have been recommended. if you want a copy PM me your email and I will send them to you.All you have to do is edit the required details :thumbs:

regards

Davy

face to face is best. go dressed smart casual. knock on the door and say'' hi,, i'm just in the area trying to acquire some land to shoot over,,pest control. and was wonderin if you have anyone takin care of it.. '' wait and say what farmer say's''' and take it from there.even if they turn you down thank them for there time and ask if you can leave your contact details should things change. dont be put off by a few knockbacks, lol. i have alot of very good land all over the north. just by knockin on doors,

best of luck to you..

i was out knocking on doors the other week i dressed smart and i must have went round about 30 farms asking for permission i ended up getting it of 1 farm and a golf course you get alot of knock backs but its does pay off sometimes im off out again next week for the day asking for permission again hopfully ill get somemore atb and good luck finding permission :thumbs:

Below is a Post I made on the International Falconry Forum a few years back because the issue of permissions is always a hot subject. Although this is aimed at gaining permission for Falconry the principles are exactly the same, just amend it to suit your own area of field sports.

This has come up time and again on the forum so I thought I would start a thread and explains some of the do’s and don’ts, and How I go about asking

Once you have found a farm that looks promising never decide to take a stroll around without permission. If you have a car, go on your own and drive slowly into the farmyard, keep your music off and try not to run over any of his dogs or chickens etc. If you have to open any gates on the way in close them straight away.

Wear country clothing, and try to avoid anything camo. I wear a pair of jeans or Moleskins with Wellies and a tatersall shirt and it its cold a Barbour jumper or a Green Deerhunter jacket and a cap. NEVER turn up in your latest Chav gear, and avoid smoking. I'm not suggesting you need to wear "branded" clothes, I'm just stating what I wear.

Knock the door, unless you see someone in the yard, and remember your manners! Start with the usual “Good morning, sorry to bother you, is this your farm?” assuming it is, introduce yourself, I usually say something like “My names Simon Rees and I fly and hunt with Birds of Prey, I was wondering if you would allow me to fly my birds on your land?”

If you have a bird with you, leave it in the car, along with any dogs you might have.

Tell them what quarry you are after, Crows are always a good bet as farmers hate them as well as magpies. if it’s a sheep farm ask them do they get problems with the crows during lambing. (They usually do). I usually don't mention rabbits unless they do. Once the conversation gets going about your birds as it usually does, tell him that your bird will also take rabbits.

If you have any neighbouring farms already remember to name drop, even if you only just picked up the next farm along, as farmers will usually agree if one of their farmer friends has given you permission nearby.

If you have liability insurance tell him about it!

Make sure you ask if anyone else hunts/shoots etc on his land, this is very important!!

Most importantly be prepared for an hour of chit chat, some farmers like to talk as they don’t get out much….. Agree with everything they say even if they are talking a load of old pants! Make sure you ask them how many head of cattle or sheep they have and how long they have farmed there etc etc. They like people who show an interest!

Try to ensure them that you are responsible and ask where various gates are etc, where their boundaries are and if there are any areas they wish you to stay away from.

Finally tell them that if its ok with them, you will pop back in the week for a walk around with the bird In order to get to know the layout etc.

Thank them very much and leave the same way as you arrived.

When you next turn up make sure you give them a knock so that they know you are about.

Its not rocket Science, but farmers can be a strange bunch!

Probably the most important thing when you are talking to them is ask them who’s farms border theirs, and what the names are of the farmers. Its so much easier when you visit the next farm and ask for the farmer by name and tell him that you fly your birds on farmer “Giles” land next door.

Remember a Bottle of whisky at Xmas and a box of chocolates for his wife goes a long way in keeping a happy relationship!!!

Hope this helps people who are a little unsure of where to start.

Hello Mate,

I generally go around and talk to the land owner face to face and just ask them if they have any pest problems? or if they all ready have people doing pest control on there land? but I take a letter with me as well with all my details on and explaining what I want to shoot on there land etc, and then just as I finish talking to them I ask them if they would mind taking a few minutes to read it after I leave rather than put them on the spot and expecting them to make a decision there and then. This has worked reasonably well for me in the past :thumbs:

ATB Si

Mine have all been obtained through yell.com, google and leaning over the fence, literally! Got my first farm permission by googling and yell.com. Then when happily on it I noticed that there were rabbits in the paddock land on the farm next door, so hoyed myself round, introduced myself to the owner, who said, glad to meet you, course you can, now get to work! (Literally) The last one was the bit of woodland when I heard the owner going round on his ride on mower, so I managed to climb up and look over the fence, said hello, introduced myself and got the roost shoot!

I do the same as previously written, Always go face to face once you have one farm in the area you can usually end up getting most of them. I got one farm over my way then started asking overs and they were all happy to let me on apart from the odd hobby farmers bloody city folk they can be a tough cookie as they have no real clue!

Just keep at it mate you need to put the work in to get the rewards, It will all come together soon enough.

Aye dont be shy mate, I was like that when i first started getting round asking for permission i were 13 used to turn up on my push bike spent days and days just riding round areas knocking on doors thats where alot of my permission came from, after a while i have had phone calls offering new permission which is always good!

thanks mate nice to know im not the only one starting off who has felt like this. Ill keep plugging away and onward... big shame is i used to be allowed on a nice 400 acher site by me then thing when wrong with the gf and i was blanked. so hence getting my own permissions now... women!!!! haha

regards

Gaz