Tumbler/Norfolk Lurcher?

my dad says he used to have a small whippet / greyhound in the early 80's he said it was a scratch dog but it used to turn its head all the time when it was passing other dogs so it kept getting barred from racing so he worked it and it became a tumbler...

he says what he means is a tumbler was a style of running and not a type of dog

every catch the dog made was nearly always from the side of what ever it was chasing and it threw itself at the rabbits and hares and tumbled over coming up with it in its mouth..

so tumbler was a term for the way it striked really he said the dog would hang back about 2 or 3 yards when running then put a very quick burst of speed and throw itself at whatever it was after when the hare or rabbit slowed for a ditch dyke or fence .. he said it caught loads of stuff but nearly everything was tumbled

and it often had to catch the same thing twice because it dropped it when tumbling..

i think it might just be a slang term or a description from when he was younger cos when i am out with my mates and one of our dogs falls over when striking we just rip each other cos it blanked on the strike

Lee

• 9 years later...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No room with you and Rudeboy?

spoke to burrel once....... for a day ...that was enough ... im sorry but he spoke absolute bollox....admittedly the two rough coated  hounds  in his motor were beauty's... but he proceded t

? Well, I've never owned a Smithfield Collie,..but back in the day,..I found a rangy heavy -coated Herder, working on the South Downs. I was visiting a traditional Sheep Fair at Findon in Sussex,

Posted Images

On 04/03/2012 at 08:28, Saiger said:

my dad says he used to have a small whippet / greyhound in the early 80's he said it was a scratch dog but it used to turn its head all the time when it was passing other dogs so it kept getting barred from racing so he worked it and it became a tumbler...

every catch the dog made was nearly always from the side of what ever it was chasing and it threw itself at the rabbits and hares and tumbled over coming up with it in its mouth..

so tumbler was a term for the way it striked really he said the dog would hang back about 2 or 3 yards when running then put a very quick burst of speed and throw itself at whatever it was after when the hare or rabbit slowed for a ditch dyke or fence .. he said it caught loads of stuff but nearly everything was tumbled

and it often had to catch the same thing twice because it dropped it when tumbling..

i think it might just be a slang term or a description from when he was younger cos when i am out with my mates and one of our dogs falls over when striking we just rip each other cos it blanked on the strike

Lee

Is Jeff still breeding and has anybody on here got his stuff

Don’t know if Jeff is still breeding but see people peddling pups under his banner local to me they got a couple of bitches they alternate breeding litters out of it’s been going on the last few years…. Good luck to em 

• Like 1
On 18/01/2012 at 15:15, smallfoot said:

My mate bought a pup well 6 months now

From darlington area I think

It's saluki grey with tumbler in it

Black rough coated nice little dog

Think The tumbler comes from collie ?

Them darlo boys tell you out to sell a dog ?

• Haha 3
13 hours ago, Marvel said:

Is Jeff still breeding and has anybody on here got his stuff

I mo few lads running his stuff and ones 9 see look good anufe ,Geoff talks alot but I always found him to be ok and he's far from stupid like some think .

His steamer dog cracking looking juckel ,not see it work .

On 04/03/2012 at 08:28, Saiger said:

Lee

Tumbler is a way it runs a rabbit etc ,instead of running behind it will use its brain and cut the rabbit ,hare off but any lurcher shouldhunt like this anyway. .it as nothing todo with it turning its head like some track dogs .they is only one true tumbler and that's a duck dog in Canada ?? so I believe, 

On 18/01/2012 at 19:28, Top Lamper 2k10 said:

i have a smithfield cross laguna whippet had him eight years now bin the best lurcher ive owned ive just lined my saluki grey cross whippet n im keepin a pup back and im not bothered wat people think about the smithfield breed coz my dogs done everything i wanted him to and if the pup turns out half as good as him i will be very pleased

Any pics ?

41 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

I no ew lads running his stuff and ones i see look good anufe ,Geoff talks alot but I always found him to be ok and he's far from stupid like some think .

His steamer dog cracking looking juckel ,not see it work .

? Well, I've never owned a Smithfield Collie,..but back in the day,..I found a rangy heavy -coated Herder, working on the South Downs.

I was visiting a traditional Sheep Fair at Findon in Sussex, and I saw this strange critter in the back of a pick up.

The good old boys that owned him said he was just a roustabout, rough and ready farm dog, and that similar types used to be common,.but were no longer kept.

They called him a Blue Shag...

I used the dog across my Mercedes bitch and produced a quite amazing litter...

Exciting days.?

Connie 9 months.....

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 7