Couple weeks back while hauling slab wood into camp I came onto this yearling moose. She’s quite weak from the winter ticks that have infester her. They jump on in the fall, come spring they fill with blood, drop off and go through their life cycle. There will be as many as 15,000 one report said.

This Is a common problem with our moose, but this year seems to be worse than most. All the moose seem to be heavily infected. Between the ticks and stress of the winter, I doubt this one will make it much longer.

The ticks are about the size of a mans thumb nail.

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

Not trapping related, but thought this may be of interest to you.

WELL HORNBLOWER ,

ITS AN INTERESTING FACT ....... IVE FOUND ANIMALS OF ALL TYPES WHICH ARE IN POOR CONDITION ALMOST ALWAYS HAVE LARGE INFESTATIONS OF LICE , FLEAS , WORMS ETC ........... ALWAYS WONDERED WHEATHER CERTAIN INDIVIDUAL ANIMALS ARE PRONE , OR WHEATHER ITS DOWN TO THE LACK OF VITALITY ATTRACTING THE PARASITES ?

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :big_boss:

Did you shoot it mate? Im afraid i would have done. cant bear to see animal in that condition.

Many years ago, when i was fishing mad i was sat under a long sandy cliff and happened to take a walk and saw this poor juvenile sand martin with its head full of ticks. huge "blue" things they were. I tried to grab it but it was too fast for me. I tried a few times, but wasnt quite quick enough. thinking back now i wonder would it have been better for me to have dug it out and killed it?? its enough to make your skin crawl. :icon_eek:

Did you shoot it mate? Im afraid i would have done. cant bear to see animal in that condition.

Many years ago, when i was fishing mad i was sat under a long sandy cliff and happened to take a walk and saw this poor juvenile sand martin with its head full of ticks. huge "blue" things they were. I tried to grab it but it was too fast for me. I tried a few times, but wasnt quite quick enough. thinking back now i wonder would it have been better for me to have dug it out and killed it?? its enough to make your skin crawl. :icon_eek:

No I didn't kill it. Probably would have been the best thing for it, but she's still eating, and if most of the ticks drop off maybe she has a chance, but i doubt it! Trouble is where having a late spring and still another month till new green growth will apear. Food they eat now has little norishment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/hor...er/IMG_0945.jpg[/img]

Not trapping related, but thought this may be of interest to you.

Excuse my ignorance,but,is this all ticks that have fallen off?Sorry if it is a stupid question. :hmm:

Yes, Those are ticks you see in the picture. Sh's still loaded with thousands more. Notice the dark patch on here rear. That's a cluster of them. They like the form there and down the legs as well.