Ferret vets out to make ££££

Dropped my wee pet Jill at her new home yesterday. Lady was telling me about how she went to get her ferret castrated and the vet refused to do it, coming out with a load of reasons/ health implications why they wouldn't do it and then said he would only give the implant. Now bearing in mind castration is a one off payment of let's say £56 and this implant is £50ish, takes 4 weeks to kick in and needs replacing every 18 months or so. Vet them came out with how he wanted to sedate the ferret to do it bumping the cost up to £105!

That's £105 every 18 months!

Then there's the vaccines...... Vets was telling her how canine distemper is this and that..... There's no vaccine for ferrets and the one they use for ferrets isn't licensed for them. They can't make their mind up whether it's a half vial dose or a full one....... £30 per ferret every x amount of years.

Seems to me like vets are clicking onto the fact that ferrets are becoming popular amongst working people and a huge surge in pet homes too. They obviously know that every ferret keeper ether has- all hobs castrated, jills spayed, a vasectomised hob or has to visit the vets for a Jill jab.

So they bump the prices up.....

And these people who keep ferrets in the house as pets, I've seen

9 in one house! Have all of them neutered, vaccinated and now the implant.

Vets seem to be raking it in at the cost of ferret owners.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they're probably all countdown viewers, they've heard making words out of your posts is more difficult that the puzzles on the programme

now whilst i dont like giving vets money,,,lets look at it properly,,, you guys above complianing about £95.......   here you have a person thats spent 7 years at vet collage, to qualify,,,and is no

Whins a legend in a crisp packet the other ones a legend in Tesco's Car park

Not everyone was brought up as a naturlist, a man about the

Countryside, catching rabbs with their sluki x's and eating coal oh great whin.

Why does my dog interest you so much?

You want to

Stop worrying about me and my dogs :thumbs:

Knob

Can't pm you or I wouldn't of.

You just reply......"Oh is that the fact, well i cant afford that so i'll just hit it on the head.....thanks anyway!!!".......the c**ts will sort it then!!!

• Like 1

I done a fair bit of rescues for a local animal charity over here.....rescues and stuff like that for them. Now these are a registered charity and have over 200 cats and dogs in there sanctuary. The cost of vets in Ireland is through the roof, now some of the vetsthey were using were charging them full price for ll the animals that they brought to them. I contacted a vet with a dog that had a serious eye infection out of hours and explained the situation and that i was doing this on behalf of the charity. He took the dog in for me out of hours and treated the dog. He then gave the dog the snip whilst he was in there and boarded him for a week till we found a home for him. He charged the charity 1/4 of what our normal vets would charge!!!!

Now i know vets have to make a living, but there are vets out there that wil charge through the nose. I like the vet i contacted and actually asked if he could run me through emergency first aid for animals. I went to his clinic and by christ i came out of there with an amount of knowledge that was unreal....no charge for doing it, excellent advice and a small booklet that he made for me and some equipment to help me and the charity out in rescues.

He then said he would do all our work ...emergencies, neutering, spaying and anything that was needed at discount rates .......and the man stuck to his word. I rang him on numerous times day and night and the guy was a legend ....never a brush off always in depth replies and always willing to come out if needed.

Believe me theres not many like that now-a-days. And a damn fine vet too.

Shop around dont be given bull from the vets.......they think there elitists in some respects .......theres always one that will offer a good service.....finding them is the hardest part.

youre a project lol rake aboot was one for a while but hees coming on, had a few others but you seem a good sorts, a bit daft but i like the daft ones lol

i learn from whoever wants to teach me, never know enough. but you go on and on about my dog. theres just no need for it. :yes:

you pass on the dog and your a cnut....

you pay the £££ at the vets and stick by the dog and your a mug....

which is what you are implying :blink:

Edited by Veedublee

Seems to me like vets are clicking onto the fact that ferrets are becoming popular amongst working people and a huge surge in pet homes too. They obviously know that every ferret keeper ether has- all hobs castrated, jills spayed, a vasectomised hob or has to visit the vets for a Jill jab.

So they bump the prices up.....

Just going to pick up on that one..

I don't think ferrets are becoming more popular among working people. :no: When I was a kid there used to be a lot more ferrets about round here. Ferrets were kept almost exclusively by ferreters until quite recently so it's the increasing pet market which is driving the prices up IMO. :yes:

Also, while people like to think of old ferret keeping practices as outdated and better off left in the past, not all old time ferreters treated their animals as tools fit to be dispensed with. While it's true that things like sops, cat food and tiny rabbit hutch type accommodation are gladly frowned upon, ferreters who knew the score and cared about their animals often self medicated their ferrets and knew how to deal with minor ailments, injuries and afflictions themselves, so there wasn't a lot of money to be made at the vets by treating them. It swings in roundabouts though because vets seldom had to treat ferrets, you were lucky if you could find a vet who knew a lot about them. :thumbs:

now whilst i dont like giving vets money,,,lets look at it properly,,, you guys above complianing about £95.......

here you have a person thats spent 7 years at vet collage, to qualify,,,and is now doing a very delicate operation on an animal.. i bet from walking in the practice to leaving , you were there an hour.... then there anasthetic,,, then post care anibiotics..........

now take you averge contractor,, plasterer,,plumber, sparks, fitter,, whatever, i bet theres very few on here charging less then £30 an hour,,, in fact last time our car was at garge im shure it was £70 ish an hour labour,,,, i have had our washer mended twice in the last 5 years,, both times it cost £65 , thats for him coming out changing a small componant and gone all in 15 mins

now this vet aint just changing a spark plug, or a tap,, or laying a brick,, this person is doing an operation on a living breathing animal,,,,, mending it if you like...........now most things in life i would have a go at,,,, but not surgery ....

basicly what im saying is think about what a vet is doing for your animal,,, befor you start to think feck thats alot of money

• Like 2

ifi had my time and in my twenties i would open a vets practice still could when i think about it not a bad earner from what i hear on hear guys, a nice smal practice charge ferret owners hamsters discouts whippet as there never out of the vets acordinaly lol , mat e the minuts you saw how fine it was as aworking dog did you not think could be a vet bill in the making ,i no your not clever dog wise hunting wise but hopefully you learn and realise if your goung go hunting you need a robust dog

if i thought about money mhirn wouldnt a had a cesarain , lana pins in her leg, sol put down after a nite of surgery, luke put to sleep etc dew claws taken off , kelt put down humanely , as they were all 400 plus most of them i neve rmoan i qeustion things and make an agreement