Deer management groups??

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Job ??? that would be novel for you...hahahahahahaha

Looked into the WLDMG, but was outside the catchment area,, TBH you will find they rely on people wanting deer shot as vermin,,,,very few and far between,, most want to sell the stalking and see the deer as an asset,,,even if the landowner doesn`t ,the leaseholder does.

Deer Management.. shooting problem deer and maintaning healthy poulations,, very different to managing for stalking profit,, which is what most stalking is all about.

There are situations where the landowner wants rid, and a dmg, move in and share stalking,, but the minute that same stalking can be sold,, it will. It relies on people not wanting to make a profit from the deer.

My opinion of dmg`s,,, sure there will be others

Personally I have had no connection with Deer Management groups , I understand the principal as to how they work ,were a group of individuals who become members are placed into a position to carry out a deer management service where such is needed by private individuals or forest enterprises.

Most members of these groups pay a joining fee to be part of the group and in most cases the scheme works, however there are others that do not work.

As Stated I am not involved in a DMG and neither do I have any wish to be.

My advice would be to join a syndication with a good reputation with a good track record in providing a surfeit of stalking with results, and I most certainly would make a few calls to the membership of these syndicates for there views before parting with brass. If those that are offering syndication are not prepared to give you a list of current members to verify credence then steer away, and that’s the best bit of advice I can give as its a situation of buyer beware I am afraid.

I hope this helps

Stu

Edited by Caprelous

Yup Stu thats how I view it,,

Of course getting reasonably priced stalking is not easy,, Syndicates are now seriously expensive,, most I have looked at work out at around 150 quid a roe shot,, if yer lucky,, so I can see how this seemingly cheap stalking would sound appealing

There is still stalking available in syndication in Scotland for £500 region and less in some circumstances but would be members now need to have DSC2 or working up to it which seems to be a condition thats implaced by most forest enterprises on the lease holder. There are some who dont but not many and if SNH get there way it will become an insistance in Scotland although at the moment this criteria is being fought hard against by such shooting representative bodies like B.A.S.C etc personally I feel its only a matter of time and it will come,If you think I am being defeatist in my view , you may be right but we can but hope it dosent come into play as its going to create a shortage of qualified DSC2 stalkers which meet that criteria .At present there are only just over 3000 throughout the whole country that have it , some of those are retired stalkers and a majority are either profesional stalkers working for the forest companies etc but in my view there will be a definitive shortage of deer controlers qualified if these Scottish laws come into play which means the deer arnt getting controlled and culled but those are my views, I may be wrong in my views of course. :hmm:

Other issues in the Forest companies cutting back on staff or placed on other duties only puts more pressure or lack of it in controlling deer numbers which will spiral out of control in the end the deer will suffer as more mouths compete for the food present which finishes up with weaker animals etc

Regards

Stu ;)

Edited by Caprelous

The recent groups that have been set up in the central belt of Scotland did so because of the WANE BILL .They were able through the groups system to represent a large amount of the local deer managers and this gave them credibility. They also started an education system of there own and were able to offer Lev one DMQ at cost. The collaboration of the groups along with the support of the Barony collage resulted in a good number of members passing the Lev qualification . Educational days were put together for practice with experts for the governmental departments. These groups are the way forward and do not cost any more than there insurance this is mandatory but i think we all need insurance. The groups were not put together to get cheap stalking of any kind and are not run by managers that take stalking for them selves.!!

Do you have a lot of members who actively participate in your group David ?

Maybe you could send a list of the members to the original postee then he can contact them to see if its worth while involving in the DMG scheme.

Thats what I would do Beddywhip likewise if applying for syndication membership.

Cheers Stu

ile pay my money ,weel go hungry tho if your the manager , lol, i like all this deer managment sounds real cosy and together like , did you not learn with your pheasant traps your jacket etc who benefits out these clubs lol be careful and make sure its a fair split

Stuart we have meetings twice a year and a web site conntact any one can enquire but i cannot pass out other members details that would not be correct. We are area specific so if some one wanted to come along they would need to be from the south lanarkshire area or with in a 10 k boundry over lap.