How old should my dog be before i start taking it out coursing ? :)

I got a pup last year and it took it's first fox at 6 months so it's all down to the dog I think atb

no adult teeth at that age and neither the jaw power to kill properly ,why did i join this site :hmm:

numbers are an average every dog is different.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

at least 8 years old and before 2004

No wonder theres so many ruined dogs haha   some of you lot are a joke

People on her have there pups out ferreting at 8 weeks and lamping by 10 weeks so give it 15 weeks and let her go doubled up then 17 weeks single.You have world better by 9 months and people looking s

My dog is 5 months old and he comes lamping but only to watch, and learn the etiquette needed but he's not never off the lead unless we're done on that's field in that case il let him off throw a rabbit for him get him retrieving it for me then just before next gate back on the lead so we can continue lamping. At 5 months my pup I would say mentally is ready but physically no so will be a little while longer before he runs the real thing to much growing left to do. Patience will pay off

patience mate, this is my first pup so im no expert, but the first time i took her lamping at 7month i knew she wasnt ready. mentally and physically. it was just my inexperience. so i did nothing more for a few months and shes grown and matured and is now flying on the lamp. as for daytime weve been out once and we blanked but this is her first season so im not expecting to much. if you know your dog you will know when the times right.. atb lad

a good stock man dog man will no his dogs pups and rate them when he thinks there ready , for game ive always believed that if a dog was born in summer the first 8 or 9 months should be traing obeidence and out in the feilds rabbiting learning about gam eetc before the next stubbles are cut than tallyho on the hares etc pre ban

• Like 2

My lurcher pup is 6 month old, I go out with couple of my friends and there lurchers just for him to watch, learn etc. he then gets to see the other dogs chase and catch rabbits and gets shown the rabbits when caught! He's very keen when shown a rabbit

My dog is 5 months old and he comes lamping but only to watch, and learn the etiquette needed but he's not never off the lead unless we're done on that's field in that case il let him off throw a rabbit for him get him retrieving it for me then just before next gate back on the lead so we can continue lamping. At 5 months my pup I would say mentally is ready but physically no so will be a little while longer before he runs the real thing to much growing left to do. Patience will pay off

i did exactly that last night aswell, my pup is getting the idea of what the lamp is all about now and is dyeing to have a run on them, but as you said the patience will pay off hopefully

I got a pup last year and it took it's first fox at 6 months so it's all down to the dog I think atb

If it was legal you would be a proper feckin div to slip a dog on a fox at 6 month's old :yes:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: I bet the same dog got sold on later that year :tongue2:

• Like 2

If it was legal you would be a proper feckin div to slip a dog on a fox at 6 month's old :yes:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: I bet the same dog got sold on later that year :tongue2:

No she is still with us best dog I've seen for her size here pups are now 8 months and killing them single handled :D

• Like 1

My dog is nine month old, but he still is only watching the ferreting nets,he has had a couple of short runs on lamp, but wont get any thing proper till next yr depends on the maturity of the dog, asked the same question myself a lot of conflicting opinions,358a7bb3.jpg this is him watching the nets,a job he truely loves

No she is still with us best dog I've seen for her size here pups are now 8 months and killing them single handled :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: can I buy a litter then as I'm sick of my curs :cray::victory: