There is a fair chance of me moving to a cottage with 6 acres later in the year. With 6 acres what would be good to grow / keep? Was thinking a few hens and ducks for eggs. Then maybe some sheep & goats for food and alpaca's for the fun of it. Also planning on growing a few veg. Is all this do able on 6 acres?

Cheers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

grow an acre of cannibis an retire

And thats very cheap, a place just down the road from me with 6.5 acres, bungalow and 2 poly tunnels sold for over £600k.   We gave up looking for a place to live on with land just silly money round

if i can raise 60,000euro i can probably buy out my mothers share of my parents house 3bed bungalow, 2reception rooms with 6.5acres + stables, sheds, stream, 200yard driveway. 1.5miles from a village,

There is a fair chance of me moving to a cottage with 6 acres later in the year. With 6 acres what would be good to grow / keep? Was thinking a few hens and ducks for eggs. Then maybe some sheep & goats for food and alpaca's for the fun of it. Also planning on growing a few veg. Is all this do able on 6 acres?

Cheers

You havnt even scratched the surface for a 6 acre holding. I have 4 acres and have 4 breeding sows, a jersey cow which I breed every year, 1.5 acres of fodder crops, beet, swedes, carrots, kale, tic beans, oats and barley. Wheat. 2 acres of quality grassland and a half acre veggie plot and orchard with bees and poultry. I also keep goats for milk and meat. Alpaca's for wool and selling stock at extortionate prices. I rear lambs at times just for meat.

If you want a hand with planning or just a bit craic give me a shout

That sounds great, cheers! I didn't realise I would be able to do so much! The Alpaca's seam to be fetching silly money, is there much money to be made from selling the wool? How long did it take you to get it all up and running?

Yes wool is very good quality from the alpaca, very soft. I spin my own wool, to sell, my partner also knits and crochets various items. I wouldnt expect to make too much just selling the fleeces but its better than nothing. It took me 3 years to establish a good breeding stock of animals. I rotate my grassland with my arable, so that the productive quality remains peak. I grow green manures on fallow overwintering land and turn it in in the spring. I also keep gypsy cobs that pull trailers, and timber etc

Ive got a small business on the side that keeps me above water, and also selling stock that is surplus to my requirements.

If I didnt have the business, I would have thought about boarding kennels, maybe a small campsite, or selling more craft works like chairs, wicker baskets, fish traps, traditional animals and bird traps, wooden toys etc

I hadn't really thought of boarding kennels. I worked on a plant nursery for 6 years when younger and considered growing some plants to sell at car boot sales / farmers markets etc. Whilst making money isn't the priority, I would like to cover my costs of feeds etc for animals when everything is set up and running. How many hours a week do you spend working on the smallholding?

grow an acre of cannibis an retire

thats the best pound per acre

Need abit of knowledge to grow that stuff outside in this country,

Cheers fd.

Not really for me that - I want to be able to relax whilst I'm at home, not fearing for a knock on the door off the old bill!