bloody raging

well just back in from a mooch around a few fields , took old bitch and young dog out , well the took off after a rabbit lol, but the little bast ard grabbed hold of a sheep , to say i was raging is an understatement, if he continues like this theres not another thing i will do , but the inevitable, cant have my dog grabbing sheep or permission will be taken away

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To all the people reccommending putting a dog in with 4 or 5 sheep...... you could, depending on the dog, end up with a very different scenerio... like 4 or 5 dead sheep !!!.   Cheers.

A lot of people talk a lot of utter kak about dogs and sheep. The only thing you can do now is shoot it bla bla..........inbred c**ts! Iv had dogs do it and iv cured them of it. I cant be the only one

Whatever

Posted Images

bit help for yer mate. :thumbs: ..had similar thing with my dads old alsation crossHeinz 57.!!!...(old school worker from stanhope, weardale)..he attacked a few ewes on permissioned land one summer evening whilst on a walk near the willington..me dad lost his temper with rex and took it to me granpa's farm for a bit scowling off the old fella as he was the only one that knew the dog inside out.....he put him in a pen with five or six big heavy type sheep and the bloody dog didnt know what had hit him,,,cried and yelped like a puppy then was let out after a bit of butting...dog went in the opposite direction next time we went near the field and would shake on demand once a wooly even so much as peered over at him.bit severe at 9yrs old but i remember the racket :huh: ..grandad said an old sheepdog fella told him that trick,,also worked with goats and old bred pigs..herding dogs dont like the shoe on't other foot....rip grandy Joe

• Like 4

A lot of people talk a lot of utter kak about dogs and sheep. The only thing you can do now is shoot it bla bla..........inbred c**ts! Iv had dogs do it and iv cured them of it. I cant be the only one. Get in touch with jim greenwood, he will tell you what to do and it WILL work. Jim is a proper dog man, not just some prick with a keyboard.

• Like 7

Dog just needs sorting out, unless it keeps doing it then the final step needs taking.

Main problem is some folk put too much faith in the dog before its stock broken, they need breaking on there own, not around other dogs. You need to be on top of them and nip it in the bud at the first sign of interest.

• Like 3

Exactly mate prevention always better than quer I've learnt my lesson the hard way could be the best worker in the world but if it isn't broken to sheep it's no good to me farmers need to feel confidant and safe with you and you mutt if thay don't you don't get or keep permission the farming community is a verry tight one and word soon gets around good or bad I'm verry lucky to have a lot of permission and would never as sacrafise it for anything that's why if someone new comes out with me the first question I always ask is the dog stock broken if not the answer from me is sorry mate atb chris

Instead of tryng to bolt the door after the horse has bolted, all you lads with young dogs in the maiking - go and see a sheep farmer in the next couple of months. They will be lambing soon - depending on when they tupped. We have lambs now, we always have some early ones, but then lamb through to March. On the hills they will be tupping around now, so lambing come April.

Get a young dog and shut it in a sheep trailer with an old ewe that has lamb(s) at foot - she will be so protective over those lambs that she will take the dog on and sort it out. This is a well known sheep breaking method. I can walk my dog off the lead through a flock, and she comes in the lambing pens with me.

Go and give your farmers a hand to shift the stock about, take the dog and use the time to both forge stronger friendships, rain your dogs and do some useful work on the farm.

• Like 3

As a farmer....... WTF were you doing running a dog in a field with sheep?

Why not? I've run dogs in fields which contain sheep for years. Dog ignores sheep and pursues quarry. No hassle - no problems. If you're running dogs up here and your only gonna run them in fields/land without sheep you'll be pretty limited - not to mention foxhound packs which hunt in sheep country all over the UK. I've ran dogs through livestock with numerous farmers/shepherds in tow!!! As long as they're not heavily pregnant or have lambs at foot there's no problem and to be honest the sheep will, by and large, ignore the dogs!!!! The guy who started this topic is a proper and dedicated dogman - the dog made a mistake. It's a pup and my betting is he'll have this sorted out in no time and that it won't happen again. :thumbs:

• Like 1

lamb chops i wouldnt complain but under supervision lol,not on his own accord , there were a few poor miners who at one time lik3ed amixed bag , lol best way a good row if they even turn the head at them then work them on long leash if they make a put a good row again it can be easily stopped mate, elecy collars handy to or a tough ram etc