lesson for thoughs who dont use a locator

Been ferreting 27 odd years never lost a ferret, can't afford a locater and don't think I'd buy one even if I could.

Does that mean I don't care for my ferrets or shouldn't be ferreting, like feck does it.If my ferret kills just give it a squeak and out she toddles, if she's stuck behind a rabbit I'll block her in and get her in the morning.......simples.

yes, because squaking is really going to get your ferret out if its stuck down a hole inside the warren, which is 10ft down.

Listen mate I understand because of a locater you got your ferret back today, I've never used and NEVER lost a ferret and if she was stuck I'd retrieve it by whatever means..........if you're that concerned about my ferts then buy me a locater. :whistling:

Not concerned about your ferrets, just the legacy of prehistoric claptrap you are imparting to the next generation.

Mate give it a rest will you, I've helped loads of youngsters out in this game.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The start of this thread was about the batterys going in a collar,Yet the guy got his ferret back.To try and say that if you aint got a locator there is no way of getting your ferret is bull,and if yo

Agree with most things you say . . . . . . but not going ferreting because you cannot afford a locator, or suggesting that one does not value ones ferrets if one doesnt use one . . . . . . is bollocks

No offence I'm just saying that your post is aimed at people who don't use locators, 'Im telling you'........ It's upto individuals if they use one or not. I've said it all before on another thread-

Cant afford a locator work harder to afford one or dont go ferretting .

Thats my opinion i saved up and now got 15 mk1 3 clicker boxs all though saving and working hard.

A ferret may cost a tenner but ever one of ours is worth as must a s a good lurcher as I see so many poorly handled ferts I then realize how goods the missus is at caring and training our ferts.

ATB Cookie

Agree with most things you say . . . . . . but not going ferreting because you cannot afford a locator, or suggesting that one does not value ones ferrets if one doesnt use one . . . . . . is bollocks!

We are now in the 21st century our predcessors use to work without such technologly but we now have the chance to increase the chance of retriving a lossed ferret with £200 or cash FACT.

I feel that if a hunter can afford a computer and internet connection then his priorty is not with his ferrets as I would willing give up my luxuries in life to fund a must have tool in todays modern ferreting world.

And to say I talking bollocks just no need just say you disgree with my statement.

ATB Cookie

I say that you are talking bollocks my friend, because you are indeed talking utter bollocks.

It's simple.

I wasn't talking about any members of THL and the choice of luxuries in life vs a ferret locator blah blah blah. Imagine a young lad just starting out, around 14. Able to get out and about himself, owns a couple of ferrets that he looks after very well. He's keen as hell and loves to get out whenever he can, he has been gifted a few nets off older folk, or maybe there were his dads old ones. He borrows a spade, maybe has a wee marking mongrel if he's lucky, or one that he can borrow, maybe not. But what he can't afford is £200 for a disco carrot, and he doesn't come from the kind of family who give £200 xmas presents. He is smart with what he ferrets, and how he ferrets, and he has some great sport. He has never lost a ferret.

Would you look down on him, from perched upon your quad, and tell he he obviously doesnt care about his ferrets and should stop going ferreting.

No, because he is the future of the sport, and alot of us at one point.

Oh, and i hate folk who say 'FACT' at the end of a statement as if it some how makes that statement an actual fact. :blink: What's that all about?

I would not look down on anyone ,but I would hope that if a youngster was starting out today, he would get better guidance about the sport of rabbiting than some of the posts on here suggest would be the case.

When I was a kid, old poachers said feed ferrets on bread and milk,, if they are savage ,snap off their eye teeth, if you get a lay up ,use a big old hob as a liner ferret to move the pug off its coney, thankfully we have moved on,well most of us have.

Not being funny mate, but you reply to my perfectly resonable post with a load of shit.

Where did anyone talk about feeding ferrets bred and milk, snapping their eye teeth etc

You can 'guide' a young kid to get a locator all you like, but if he cant buy one, he cant buy one. And in my opinion, that shouldnt stop him ferreting, or in fact ferreting successfuly.

What terrible advise would one gleen on here out of intrest?

Been ferreting 27 odd years never lost a ferret, can't afford a locater and don't think I'd buy one even if I could.

Does that mean I don't care for my ferrets or shouldn't be ferreting, like feck does it.If my ferret kills just give it a squeak and out she toddles, if she's stuck behind a rabbit I'll block her in and get her in the morning.......simples.

And how exactly will you know if she is stuck behind a rabbit , or where that rabbit is,if you have no locator? If you had one you could dig to her, and fetch her out could you not ?

How about if she is trapped in a shaft and can't climb out ? Even the ferrets most receptive to squeeks wont be coming out then will they? And, you won't have a clue where it is will you? But perhaps, you employ a type of ferret telepathy?

Simples? I quite agree.

Why would you prefer to take a day off work to retrieve a ferret next day ,you could have taken home that day,IF you had a locator with you ?

Would that not save coming back the next day, and the possibility she has moved off her kill and is now a couple of acres away somewhere else?

That would be very popular on a game shoot, or poultry farm.

I've met a few pro ferreters whose living is taking rabbits, ALL employ locators.

Firstly I'm not a pro ferreter.

Secondly I don't work.

Thirdly I've never lost a ferret.

I once trenched a fox earth about 35 foot following the tube into a mountainside retrieved terrier and fox, going 10 foot for a fert is childs play, now run along and preach to somebody who actually gives a feck. :thumbs:

Edited by inan

Some people on here think they're gods gift to ferreting.

Why do pro ferreters use locators? Because it adds rabbits to the bag. That's their fecking job. Out to catch rabbits and eliminate the problem that somebody has.

There's s difference between somebody ferreting for a job and somebody ferreting for fun. I've never had any problems without using a locator, once I find the time to get my collar fixed I will use one. It's not a big deal. I

Know people who have dug down 7ft to a collar and no ferret. That's £££ sitting 7 foot below ground, who's wasting time digging then? Lol

Loads of you's must think your above others because you've got the latest mk3 with various collars and like to tell us how hard you've worked for them. I sit in the fence on this debate. I prefer a collar but if you don't have one for whatever reason then oh well.

Some ridiculous comments coming out, at the end of the day. Who gives a sh!t what you've got, how many more rabbits you get than me or how you've got the best gear. I know people on here who use them, don't use them and it's irrelevant to the outcome. Everybody gets out, does some ferreting and it doesn't matter what you bring home for the freezer.

You can pull situations out of thin air....... What if a burrow collapsed, what if your ferret found 10kg of chicken wings and ferret kibble with a water bottle 8foot underground..... Blah blah blah.

Next you's will be knocking us for not using duracel batteries in the locator.

• Like 2

'Veedublee' timestamp='1325200799' post='2409470']

Why do pro ferreters use locators? Because it adds rabbits to the bag. That's their fecking job. Out to catch rabbits and eliminate the problem that somebody has.

There's s difference between somebody ferreting for a job and somebody ferreting for fun. I've never had any problems without using a locator, once I find the time to get my collar fixed I will use one. It's not a big deal. I

Know people who have dug down 7ft to a collar and no ferret. That's £££ sitting 7 foot below ground, who's wasting time digging then? Lol

Loads of you's must think your above others because you've got the latest mk3 with various collars and like to tell us how hard you've worked for them. I sit in the fence on this debate. I prefer a collar but if you don't have one for whatever reason then oh well.

Some ridiculous comments coming out, at the end of the day. Who gives a sh!t what you've got, how many more rabbits you get than me or how you've got the best gear. I know people on here who use them, don't use them and it's irrelevant to the outcome. Everybody gets out, does some ferreting and it doesn't matter what you bring home for the freezer.

You can pull situations out of thin air....... What if a burrow collapsed, what if your ferret found 10kg of chicken wings and ferret kibble with a water bottle 8foot underground..... Blah blah blah.

Whats the bad mood for mate ,its only the internet The Master might take you under his wing on Saturday on your doorstep :laugh: And again on the fourth a good two hours away and show you why you need a locator :laugh: . Working different ground each week Feck knows what to except but i know one thing for sure there wont be a post or picts on here

Thats my opinion i saved up and now got 15 mk1 3 clicker boxs all though saving and working hard.

A ferret may cost a tenner but ever one of ours is worth as must a s a good lurcher as I see so many poorly handled ferts I then realize how goods the missus is at caring and training our ferts.

ATB Cookie

Agree with most things you say . . . . . . but not going ferreting because you cannot afford a locator, or suggesting that one does not value ones ferrets if one doesnt use one . . . . . . is bollocks!

We are now in the 21st century our predcessors use to work without such technologly but we now have the chance to increase the chance of retriving a lossed ferret with £200 or cash FACT.

I feel that if a hunter can afford a computer and internet connection then his priorty is not with his ferrets as I would willing give up my luxuries in life to fund a must have tool in todays modern ferreting world.

And to say I talking bollocks just no need just say you disgree with my statement.

ATB Cookie

I say that you are talking bollocks my friend, because you are indeed talking utter bollocks.

It's simple.

I wasn't talking about any members of THL and the choice of luxuries in life vs a ferret locator blah blah blah. Imagine a young lad just starting out, around 14. Able to get out and about himself, owns a couple of ferrets that he looks after very well. He's keen as hell and loves to get out whenever he can, he has been gifted a few nets off older folk, or maybe there were his dads old ones. He borrows a spade, maybe has a wee marking mongrel if he's lucky, or one that he can borrow, maybe not. But what he can't afford is £200 for a disco carrot, and he doesn't come from the kind of family who give £200 xmas presents. He is smart with what he ferrets, and how he ferrets, and he has some great sport. He has never lost a ferret.

Would you look down on him, from perched upon your quad, and tell he he obviously doesnt care about his ferrets and should stop going ferreting.

Oh, and i hate folk who say 'FACT' at the end of a statement as if it some how makes that statement an actual fact. :blink: What's that all about?

I would not look down on anyone ,but I would hope that if a youngster was starting out today, he would get better guidance about the sport of rabbiting than some of the posts on here suggest would be the case.

When I was a kid, old poachers said feed ferrets on bread and milk,, if they are savage ,snap off their eye teeth, if you get a lay up ,use a big old hob as a liner ferret to move the pug off its coney, thankfully we have moved on,well most of us have.

Not being funny mate, but you reply to my perfectly resonable post with a load of shit.

Where did anyone talk about feeding ferrets bred and milk, snapping their eye teeth etc

You can 'guide' a young kid to get a locator all you like, but if he cant buy one, he cant buy one. And in my opinion, that shouldnt stop him ferreting, or in fact ferreting successfuly.

Edited by inan

Whats the bad mood for mate ,its only the internet The Master might take you under his wing on Saturday on your doorstep :laugh: And again on the fourth a good two hours away and show you why you need a locator :laugh: . Working different ground each week Feck knows what to except but i know one thing for sure there wont be a post or picts on here

Edited by inan

ferret may cost a tenner but ever one of ours is worth as must a s a good lurcher as I see so many poorly handled ferts I then you say . . . . . . but not going ferreting because you cannot afford a locator, or suggesting that one does not value ones ferrets if one doesnt use one . . . . . . is bollocks!

ATB Cookie

It's simple.

How about giving us your methods of retrieving that laid up ferret?

I jumped a fence last week to to a wee burrow and hopefully add a few rabbits quickly to the bag :whistling: And the jill killed at eight foot :laugh: .What would be worse getting caught on the wrong side of the fence ? :boogy: Or at the bottom of a eight foot hole ? :censored:

I got back over the fence ferreted my round the burrow on my permission and a hour and a half later the jill surfaced . You dont need a locator but there bloody handy

ATB Cookie

ATB Cookie

It's simple.

How about giving us your methods of retrieving that laid up ferret?

inan, i don't want to argue with you, and i NEVER said i didn't use a locator. I just tried to make the point that there are occaisons in todays world where some one goes ferreting without a locator, and it's ok, and doesn't mean that they don't care about their ferrets blah blah blah.

• Like 1

And how exactly will you know if she is stuck behind a rabbit , or where that rabbit is,if you have no locator? If you had one you could dig to her, and fetch her out could you not ?

How about if she is trapped in a shaft and can't climb out ? Even the ferrets most receptive to squeeks wont be coming out then will they? And, you won't have a clue where it is will you? But perhaps, you employ a type of ferret telepathy?

Simples? I quite agree.

Why would you prefer to take a day off work to retrieve a ferret next day ,you could have taken home that day,IF you had a locator with you ?

Would that not save coming back the next day, and the possibility she has moved off her kill and is now a couple of acres away somewhere else?

That would be very popular on a game shoot, or poultry farm.

I've met a few pro ferreters whose living is taking rabbits, ALL employ locators.

Firstly I'm not a pro ferreter.

Secondly I don't work.

Thirdly I've never lost a ferret.

I once trenched a fox earth about 35 foot following the tube into a mountainside retrieved terrier and fox, going 10 foot for a fert is childs play, now run along and preach to somebody who actually gives a feck. :thumbs:

I think I kind of knew the answer to your first two replies. Today we were on a hilly bank of sand ,holes everywhere and many very deep ,you could be trenching that for a week. Child's play it would not be. No one is preaching to you ,because you obviously know all the answers, with your "by whatever means, " which we are still waiting to be enlightened about.

Mate you're full of it.

No mate you're full of it, just because I don't ferret for a living dosen't make me any less of a ferreter and just because I don't work dosen't make me any less of a person.

Your little sand hills must be bigger than our mountains..........no mate I don't know everything and I'll repeat to you again I'VE NEVER LOST A FERRET IN 27 YEARS, when I do you can take great pleasure in saying I told you so until then wind your feckin neck in.

I wouldn't lose my ferret in sand as we just have plain old welsh earth in these backward valleys. :thumbs:

The start of this thread was about the batterys going in a collar,Yet the guy got his ferret back.To try and say that if you aint got a locator there is no way of getting your ferret is bull,and if you dont know the old ways after 50 years of ferreting,No point asking on here about them.Ferrets can get lossed with or without them.

• Like 4

NO, he doesn't post pics on here, too many doughnuts, and wanabees , he puts them on other sites.

What's that meant to mean?

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

Lets just get back to ferretting and enjoying our sport yes we all may have diffrent opinions on this subject.

With strong views of the rights and wrongs of collar use or non use .

Lets just crack on ferretting .

Happy hunting Cookie

• Like 1

Lets just get back to ferretting and enjoying our sport yes we all may have diffrent opinions on this subject.

With strong views of the rights and wrongs of collar use or non use .

Lets just crack on ferretting .

Happy hunting Cookie

:thumbs: