lesson for thoughs who dont use a locator

No offence :laugh: I'm just saying that your post is aimed at people who don't use locators, 'Im telling you'........ It's upto individuals if they use one or not. I've said it all before on another thread- I couldn't give a monkeys about if I

Come away with 1 rabbit or 100. People ferret for different reasons and you 'telling them' that they will come unstuck doesn't go down well.

remember to Put the batteries in your collar before you tell us

We wish we had a locator because a locator with no batteries is like having no locator at all.

Don't take it personal, its a forum, and everybody has their own view. When I was a kid it was a collar and string, but I never needed that really, and my ferrets now are no problem, but I always collar them because I can. I have to dig now, but years ago I would have sat around a lot more.

Each to their own mate.

I've just got my locator fixed to find out the collar is fcuked and need

To fork out for a new one...... I think locators are great, exactly what your saying is right about rabbit numbers, less waiting and quicker to move on but people that cant afford a locator or cant afford repairs etc shouldn't sit at home watching tv, they should get out ferreting because at the end of the day: A LOCATOR IS A LUXURY AND NOT A NECCESITY :thumbs:

Nobody can disagree with that.

Not taking it personal mate, just statements like ' ferreting without a locator is like lamping without a lamp' :laugh: :laugh:

And statements like I bet they had more rabbits without a locator than with, are just bollocks , thats not personal either , its ridiculous.

I've been ferreting since I was at school 50 years ago , so I have some experience of both disciplines and I am still learning.

By the way Magwitch, Jaimie , Fieldsportsman and myself had 32 the other day ,and 30 a few days earlier, so maybe we are doing something right?

well said

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The start of this thread was about the batterys going in a collar,Yet the guy got his ferret back.To try and say that if you aint got a locator there is no way of getting your ferret is bull,and if yo

Agree with most things you say . . . . . . but not going ferreting because you cannot afford a locator, or suggesting that one does not value ones ferrets if one doesnt use one . . . . . . is bollocks

No offence I'm just saying that your post is aimed at people who don't use locators, 'Im telling you'........ It's upto individuals if they use one or not. I've said it all before on another thread-

Been ferreting 27 odd years never lost a ferret, can't afford a locater and don't think I'd buy one even if I could.

Does that mean I don't care for my ferrets or shouldn't be ferreting, like feck does it.If my ferret kills just give it a squeak and out she toddles, if she's stuck behind a rabbit I'll block her in and get her in the morning.......simples.

• Like 2

Maybe put it this way -

A locator is not a neccessity, but it IS a neccessity of you wish to be throughly efficient in your ferreting.

thats whats wrong with this internet lark mate, imo it all gets too technical, whether its lurchers, ferrets, whatever, hows it bred, what colour, how many, blah blah blah, what happened to just gawn oot with your ferrets and dogs and just enjoying it :thumbs:

first bit of commonsense ive read on this topic :thumbs: :thumbs: :laugh:

a locator in my eyes is a must, u can see if the ferret is moving around and if stops moving after a while theres a dig on, why wait ages for a ferret that wont come out till hours later because its ate and fell asleep

That's upto you mate but I'll never believe a locator is a 'must'.

How are you going to dig through rocks, under concrete, rubbish tips/ piles..... Your not.

its handy to have one

But not a necessity. Yawwnnnn zzzzzzzzz

i will hav a go at digging thru anything, i enjoy digging, and digging throught rubbish tips and such i just wouldnt ferret it simple as

Edited by inan

Been ferreting 27 odd years never lost a ferret, can't afford a locater and don't think I'd buy one even if I could.

Does that mean I don't care for my ferrets or shouldn't be ferreting, like feck does it.If my ferret kills just give it a squeak and out she toddles, if she's stuck behind a rabbit I'll block her in and get her in the morning.......simples.

Edited by inan

And how exactly will you now if she is stuck behind a rabbit , or where that rabbit is,if you have no locator?

Well i wouldn't exactly would I but I'd bet a pound to a penny she'd be down there somewhere and if the need arised I trench the warren and retrieve her, though in 27 years I've never had too so why would I change now?

Cant afford a locator work harder to afford one or dont go ferretting .

Thats my opinion i saved up and now got 15 mk1 3 clicker boxs all though saving and working hard.

A ferret may cost a tenner but ever one of ours is worth as must a s a good lurcher as I see so many poorly handled ferts I then realize how goods the missus is at caring and training our ferts.

ATB Cookie

Agree with most things you say . . . . . . but not going ferreting because you cannot afford a locator, or suggesting that one does not value ones ferrets if one doesnt use one . . . . . . is bollocks!

We are now in the 21st century our predcessors use to work without such technologly but we now have the chance to increase the chance of retriving a lossed ferret with £200 or cash FACT.

I feel that if a hunter can afford a computer and internet connection then his priorty is not with his ferrets as I would willing give up my luxuries in life to fund a must have tool in todays modern ferreting world.

And to say I talking bollocks just no need just say you disgree with my statement.

ATB Cookie

I say that you are talking bollocks my friend, because you are indeed talking utter bollocks.

It's simple.

I wasn't talking about any members of THL and the choice of luxuries in life vs a ferret locator blah blah blah. Imagine a young lad just starting out, around 14. Able to get out and about himself, owns a couple of ferrets that he looks after very well. He's keen as hell and loves to get out whenever he can, he has been gifted a few nets off older folk, or maybe there were his dads old ones. He borrows a spade, maybe has a wee marking mongrel if he's lucky, or one that he can borrow, maybe not. But what he can't afford is £200 for a disco carrot, and he doesn't come from the kind of family who give £200 xmas presents. He is smart with what he ferrets, and how he ferrets, and he has some great sport. He has never lost a ferret.

Would you look down on him, from perched upon your quad, and tell he he obviously doesnt care about his ferrets and should stop going ferreting.

No, because he is the future of the sport, and alot of us at one point.

Oh, and i hate folk who say 'FACT' at the end of a statement as if it some how makes that statement an actual fact. :blink: What's that all about?

• Like 2

yes, because squaking is really going to get your ferret out if its stuck down a hole inside the warren, which is 10ft down.

And how exactly will you know if she is stuck behind a rabbit , or where that rabbit is,if you have no locator? If you had one you could dig to her, and fetch her out could you not ?

How about if she is trapped in a shaft and can't climb out ? Even the ferrets most receptive to squeeks wont be coming out then will they? And, you won't have a clue where it is will you? But perhaps, you employ a type of ferret telepathy?

Simples? I quite agree.

Why would you prefer to take a day off work to retrieve a ferret next day ,you could have taken home that day,IF you had a locator with you ?

Would that not save coming back the next day, and the possibility she has moved off her kill and is now a couple of acres away somewhere else?

That would be very popular on a game shoot, or poultry farm.

I've met a few pro ferreters whose living is taking rabbits, ALL employ locators.

yes, because squaking is really going to get your ferret out if its stuck down a hole inside the warren, which is 10ft down.

Listen mate I understand because of a locater you got your ferret back today, I've never used and NEVER lost a ferret and if she was stuck I'd retrieve it by whatever means..........if you're that concerned about my ferts then buy me a locater. :whistling:

Cant afford a locator work harder to afford one or dont go ferretting .

Thats my opinion i saved up and now got 15 mk1 3 clicker boxs all though saving and working hard.

A ferret may cost a tenner but ever one of ours is worth as must a s a good lurcher as I see so many poorly handled ferts I then realize how goods the missus is at caring and training our ferts.

ATB Cookie

Agree with most things you say . . . . . . but not going ferreting because you cannot afford a locator, or suggesting that one does not value ones ferrets if one doesnt use one . . . . . . is bollocks!

We are now in the 21st century our predcessors use to work without such technologly but we now have the chance to increase the chance of retriving a lossed ferret with £200 or cash FACT.

I feel that if a hunter can afford a computer and internet connection then his priorty is not with his ferrets as I would willing give up my luxuries in life to fund a must have tool in todays modern ferreting world.

And to say I talking bollocks just no need just say you disgree with my statement.

ATB Cookie

I say that you are talking bollocks my friend, because you are indeed talking utter bollocks.

It's simple.

I wasn't talking about any members of THL and the choice of luxuries in life vs a ferret locator blah blah blah. Imagine a young lad just starting out, around 14. Able to get out and about himself, owns a couple of ferrets that he looks after very well. He's keen as hell and loves to get out whenever he can, he has been gifted a few nets off older folk, or maybe there were his dads old ones. He borrows a spade, maybe has a wee marking mongrel if he's lucky, or one that he can borrow, maybe not. But what he can't afford is £200 for a disco carrot, and he doesn't come from the kind of family who give £200 xmas presents. He is smart with what he ferrets, and how he ferrets, and he has some great sport. He has never lost a ferret.

Would you look down on him, from perched upon your quad, and tell he he obviously doesnt care about his ferrets and should stop going ferreting.

No, because he is the future of the sport, and alot of us at one point.

Oh, and i hate folk who say 'FACT' at the end of a statement as if it some how makes that statement an actual fact. :blink: What's that all about?

Edited by inan

Listen mate I understand because of a locater you got your ferret back today, I've never used and NEVER lost a ferret and if she was stuck I'd retrieve it by whatever means..........if you're that concerned about my ferts then buy me a locater. :whistling:

Edited by inan

And how exactly will you know if she is stuck behind a rabbit , or where that rabbit is,if you have no locator? If you had one you could dig to her, and fetch her out could you not ?

How about if she is trapped in a shaft and can't climb out ? Even the ferrets most receptive to squeeks wont be coming out then will they? And, you won't have a clue where it is will you? But perhaps, you employ a type of ferret telepathy?

Simples? I quite agree.

Why would you prefer to take a day off work to retrieve a ferret next day ,you could have taken home that day,IF you had a locator with you ?

Would that not save coming back the next day, and the possibility she has moved off her kill and is now a couple of acres away somewhere else?

That would be very popular on a game shoot, or poultry farm.

I've met a few pro ferreters whose living is taking rabbits, ALL employ locators.

Firstly I'm not a pro ferreter.

Secondly I don't work.

Thirdly I've never lost a ferret.

I once trenched a fox earth about 35 foot following the tube into a mountainside retrieved terrier and fox, going 10 foot for a fert is childs play, now run along and preach to somebody who actually gives a feck. :thumbs: