Out today

Went out today on the part of the shoot that very rarely gets checked. Its used for the rough shoots and is left quiet and well alone. After a few weeks of blanks i wasnt very hopeful and after checking about a half dozen places with no success we were starting to think 'another one of those days!'

Come to a spot in a plantation, about 3pm ish, thick with cover so i wasnt to hopeful. The holes had a very large amount of spoil outside them but looked shallow so i guess it must be a pretty ranbgey place. My bitch was whining on the lead so i let her go. After about 2 mins she was baying nice and steady and as i started to get a mark the numbers started getting lower and lower until i was right above the action with a mark of 0.4. I left her for a bit as she seemed to be going back and forward a bit. After clearing the brambles out of the way i gave the ground a smack with the shovel and they moved to the other side of the earth. I left them alone for about 10mins or so and it all went quiet....next thing my brothers screaming and hollering trying to grab hold of a nice dog fox which had bolted out of the tiniest of holes. Brilliant! My bitch was still in and baying at another part of the earth so i dealt with the fox and my brother tried for a mark but for the next 20mins they were going round and round only stopping for long enough to get a mark.

It was starting to get dark in the woods under the trees so i made the decision that if i caught a glimpse of the bitch i would grab her out as we were on the other side of the estate and had means of digging in the dark. Cleared it with my brother who is the keeper and when she was seen at a net grabbed her and left one to ground for another time.

Cheers and a few pics

bearcopy.jpg

102_0858.jpg

The apprentice, my brothers 8 month old black bitch

102_0860.jpg

Well done men and dogs :thumbs: going with the pic, did you shoot the fox to despatch it?

Yes mate i use a .410 for dispatch. No messing with that at point blank. Used my boot to keep its ivorys under control and dispatched

Edited by OldNog
  • Like 1

well done mate, i had a walk today, first earth......big dog fox....dob done, home for 1pm :)

good stuff! My sort of day that haha

yeah deffinatly! there was still 3 earths to check, but sod it im not out to dig hundreds and a cuppa with the keeper was calling :)