Pup training, going from dummy to real?

What's the best way to get a pup going from rabbit skin dummy to a dead rabbit retrieve? Just tried her and she doesnt want to know, just rags the rabbit about. Then I tried to go back to the dummy and she just looked at

Me like 'what the fcuk is that!'

Called it a day to do some more another day.

She was retrieving the dummy perfect up

Until today.

Tied rope

Round the dead rabbits legs and tried to

Encourage it over. Is this right and what's the way to go

About it. Cheers

Throw it somewhere where she's not meant to go get it, if she's anything like mine she'll appear with it 10 minutes later, seriously try playing with it with her and when it has her undivided attention throw it a small distance for her, then if she gets the picture, increase the distance and so on.

She's mad for the rabbit mate. Her attention won't stray from the rabbit in my hand, she's runs Over to it (only a few metres with her leg) and grabs it and rags it about.

It's like she's too interested in the rabbit that she won't listen to me.

She's mad for the rabbit mate. Her attention won't stray from the rabbit in my hand, she's runs Over to it (only a few metres with her leg) and grabs it and rags it about.

It's like she's too interested in the rabbit that she won't listen to me.

Walk away from her then, if she's that engrossed in the rabbit, when she notices your further away she'll bring it with her to you and when she does take it of her and praise her,

i would go back to the dummy and the fur dummy and keep going intill she fully understands the fetch comand then keep changing what you send her for eg a teddy, keys, a bottle, peasant wings, then eventually she will understand that what ever you send her to retrieve she will bring back. then just send her to retieve cold game and if she fully understands what is required of her it should be plain saling :-/

alex

the problem is when you start with a dummy they get use to it, weight,texture ect. then when you move onto the real thing its different hence the problem. i only ever use the real thing from the start, even better if its still warm. bin the dummy and keep going with the real thing but keep the sessions short. all will come good in the end :thumbs:

never use a real rabbit nowadays get them fetching dummies fresh skins ,then let them see a few netted rabbs then let them out on lamp seeing a few real rabbs ,once there between 8 or 9 months , old ,minute they catch walk backwards and call there name if the ground work has been done [bANNED TEXT] sheel fetch back if not fresh rabbit with string on it so she has to come back ,to have a perfect retreiver alot of time has to be spent on them one to one ,if you want them to fetch perfect take them away from weere they no like a corridor and throw rabbit , and say fetch minute she has grabbed get down and call her quick easy done with the good colie type ive had a bit harder with some saluk types etc , its not natural for ahunting dog to give his master the catch unles in them some do some well has to be trained , whipps are usaly good fetchers just to small in mouth sometimes

never use a real rabbit nowadays get them fetching dummies fresh skins ,then let them see a few netted rabbs then let them out on lamp seeing a few real rabbs ,once there between 8 or 9 months , old ,minute they catch walk backwards and call there name if the ground work has been done [bANNED TEXT] sheel fetch back if not fresh rabbit with string on it so she has to come back ,to have a perfect retreiver alot of time has to be spent on them one to one ,if you want them to fetch perfect take them away from weere they no like a corridor and throw rabbit , and say fetch minute she has grabbed get down and call her quick easy done with the good colie type ive had a bit harder with some saluk types etc , its not natural for ahunting dog to give his master the catch unles in them some do some well has to be trained , whipps are usaly good fetchers just to small in mouth sometimes

good post, until the last bit, to small in the mouth for what, retrieving rabbits????