gamekeeping as an occupation

Guest little_lloyd

Im intrested in keeping and want to become a keeper :D Dont have good GCSES :(

Might approach some keepers around my area to see if i can do some work exprience etc. Any suggestions etc would be great :D

as you say get out and do some helping out, never known a keeper turn down free help, i dont have any gcses and i still managed.. get some info on courses from your nearest agricultural collage... good luck mate...

There are many routes into the Gamekeeping industry but by far the best is via a keeper, at this time of the year a keeper will be glad of a helping hand, but be aware he will be working very long hours and will expect you do do quite a bit. If you say you will be there then be there you will not get two bites of the cherry!. Many Colleges are running Gamkeeping courses be sure to ask what the lecturers have done Gamekeeping wise in the past as many are teaching from books with no actuall expierince of the trade. There is an NVQ in Game and wildlife management that you can do at work, this is based on you getting evidence that you can do the work of an underkeeper, you will be asked to show your competance by getting photo's tape recordings video footage and witness testimony saying that you can do the job properly so no real need for fantastic GCSE's. You will also be able to get qualifications in "Skills for Life" if you go down the NVQ route.

Start beating, and you should get to know the keeper, I will be asking if hes interested in unpaid work experiance soon, as I need part time work on a collage course im in. Although hes a crazy old bugger! He must be in his late 60's and cant hear a thing, nice guy though :good:

You will not get any beating this time of year. Show the Keeper you are interested in his or her work offer to do some of the carrying for them. I had 20 odd years in the game and take it from me when you are incubating and rearing a little bit of help will not go forgotten. Little Lloyd where abouts in Glos are you?

There are plenty of colleges that have gamekeeping courses, I know that Hartpury college in gloustershire has gamekeeping courses read it in the shooting times. Sparshot and a few others in the south. In scotland there are a few to The north highland college, oatridge in fife, the borders college. I did 4 years at the north highland college. Get info from these colleges they will help and may get you a placement. Dont worry about your gcses if you need help the colleges will provide help.

Im going to merrist wood collage down south. Doing countryside and enviroment management. Looks a alright course, I will do the first year and see what I think of it, if its good I will stay on :victory:

Not really sure what I want to get into afterwards, 'Keeping, General grounds keeper, gardening anything really as long as Im outside and not stuck up in an office :no:

Guest little_lloyd

Yeh illd love to go on that kind of course :D True as long as your out and about working in nice countryside rather than an office would suit us all to the ground!

Sparsholt is the place to go if you can get in. As I have said in the previous posts ask what "Gamekeeping" past experience the lecturers have had. When you go back to hartpury ask the Gamekeeping staff what have they done regarding "Full time" Gamekeeping. You may be supprised how little they have done. I know of one college lecturer that has never even been on a shoot but still teaches game and shoot management. At Hartpury ask the short old timer who does part time National diploma lecturing his name is Phil Willis he will give you contact details for Robin at Tortworth est, the estate is just outside Thornbury. Phil is the chap to talk about keepering with he has had a life time of experience.