Sea fishing help anyone?

Me and a mate are going to Scarborough in early January and have agreed we want to try do a bit of fishing but iv never sea fished before and as iv had my course gear nicked il have to buy some. What would anyone recommend? Beachcasting or fishing from a pier? We will only be a it for a day so just catching something is top priority. Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers. Lee.

Take a tripout with Paul on Sea Otter II, from Whitby. he can provide all the gear and bait you'll need - cod off the wrecks and you'll be fishing within 3 miles of theport, not a 2 hour steam before you start fishing. WRAP UP WARM and be prepared to get wet, whether you go from the shore or boat - getting caught in the rain is likely!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for replies iv been doin some reading up and had some good advice from whitbyseaanglers.com forum. Iv got a combo 12 ft rod and reel with line off ebay and iv spoke to Coso's tackle shop in Scarborough whos gonna sort out my rigs and bait for a session. Now iv decided what im doing im just itching to get out im like a kid at christmas lol. Going on 23rd so not long now, and iv been told theres chance of half decent cod from pier this time of year. Cant wait!

Atb Wally