Is There A Price You Would Put On your Working Terriers (please read)

a few years ago at the welsh my missus was offered £5000 in cash for one of our bedlington bitches she refused and that bloke bugged her all year for that dog open chq and all he got the same reply the dog aint for sale and to this day when i bump into him he still asks , you still got that bitch ill give you good money for her mined , i think he s got more money than sense myself

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It doesn't matter if its a terrier, lurcher, retreiver etc with out our dogs there is little we could achieve. How do you put a price on them, people on here try to make out there just tools not worth

I have paid for dogs in the past when things have went "pete tong" so to speak. Losing a few seasoned dogs in a year is hard for any man. Sometimes you think you have it all, then on the flip off a co

if in a position were you have a good kennell of dogs your happy with then you should always be prepared that at any second you can loose a member of your team as its a dangerous job they do thats why

Guest busterdog

i offered good money to a few well known diggin lads wi real good dogs and got no offer of a dog sometimes even 2 grand dont get wat you want lol

Most of the time it's nothing to do with money mate, slowly, slowly catchy monkey. Work your dogs to the best of their ability and be seen to be right with them and you'll soon have offers of terrier pups. A little respect goes a long way "we can't keep them all".

• Like 1

Some people use there terriers for different types off hunting i.e. bushing/ratting/earthwork even RABBITING i believe. A failed terrier on earthwork may be a great bushing/ratting terrier !! One mans b&q terrier could be another mans makita. I don't know much about the bushing/ratting rabbiting end so it's just an observation. Don't want to know much about it either tbh. I'm sure if a man had a good bushing or rabbiting terrier and a fella offered him even near £500 for it he'd get his arm broke !!! That's the difference.

• Like 1

I have never and will never sell a dog ,if i trust someone enough to let them keep a work a dog of mine it would be given to them.However i do think some workers are more valuable than others. imo a terrier might be a very good worker but if there is no history in its breeding then work is all it has to offer. a terrier that works to the same standard but has a genuine history and comes from a family or line of good honest workers that are bred purely for work has far more to offer,it is far more than something to dig to ,if you use your head, have the knollege or good advice and have some luck it can set you up with working terriers for life which is obviously priceless.Its not very often such a dog has a price tag though as no ammount of money will buy the best stuff you have to earn it :yes:

I thought I was set for dogs two years ago. My buddy and I had some great dogs coming on. Long story short, 3 died within one month. 2 more over this last year. We're looking at bringing in 4 pups from outside sources and starting totally over with new stuff. I pay up $200 for a pup from good stock. I've paid $500 for a bitch that was the sister of my best producing bitch. As far as selling a top notch "finished" dog... Not happening. Alot of dogs or pups come with the agreement that you don't ever sell them or anything off of them. An agreement like that should be kept. If not under that constraint, I would sell a dog I'd brought on and put a season or two into that was really great but too small or too large for me and fit the bill for someone else. A good price for that dog would be $250 -300 depending on how much the dog had been proven. As it is though, three friends and I keep everything we've ever produced and cull anything that hasn't worked. We don't have enough good dogs to be even giving any out.

I am also of the opinion that it is ridiculous to think less of a man for selling dogs or pups. Some of my best dogs have been bought and THE BEST hunter I know sells dogs for more than I can pay and has been called a pedlar by some. But I can tell you, that guy hunts day in and day out and there has never been a year in my life since I met him that he hasn't offered me a good finished dog or pup for free.

If good dogs are priceless, then why shy from paying a price for some good stock?

300/500 not a lot for keeping all the land thats took years to get on so money worth spending if you look at it that way as well

plus you carnt work pups until 15 mths plus so thatl be a season out and could lose some land if you carnt do nothing for the keepers or farmers so think on

theres always some 1 else to drop on for them

Seems funny to me that some frown at the idea of working dogs being sold. I have never cared what a person does with their dog. They can put a skirt on it and dance around in the yard with the thing if it suits them for all I care. I have bought dogs, sold dogs, been given and, and gifted them as well. I have come to believe that you get a good dog where you find it. How you came to own the thing seems to have little to do with how well it actually works It may be free or it may cost you an arm and a leg. In either case it makes little difference. Not everything can be had for a price, but most things can. I like to believe that I would sell a great working dog, and perhaps hold the line on a great producer. But since I only have about average of either type, it is hard to know for sure. Great topic man.

• Like 1

good blood is few and far between unless your in the right crowd to a friend a dog from me is for nothing £50 a pup and a ready to go dog's price is negotible if not needed by myself i like to give a struggelar an oppotunity but there is never a guarantee with a ready to go dog and a worker from me is never for sale.

Tally ho hows that bull xs pup doing? Thats if i got the write chap

What i cant grasp is this .Those who have commented on this topic seem to be the lads that are decent dog men ,have decent dogs and know other decent dog men .Being in such a 'clique 'surely has the advantage that a mate would help out with a worker at a moments notice ,i know the lads i knock about with would as i would do the same .The loan of a worker freely is small sacrifice in the long run . The notion that a dog could be bought in the first place would set alarm bells ringing ,that anyone would contemplate selling a worker ,lend yes, but not the demon money .I personally wouldnt know where the hell to go to find anyone who would sell a working terrier .

Im a firm believer that anyone starting out has to earn the right to own a worker in the first place which im sure sorts out the wheat from the chaff .That first terrier should be given to a hard grafting newby as his,her reward,and as an example of whats expected .Just how ive been brought up i guess .Theres a well known chap who used to' specialize' in selling terriers doing a bit but look where its got him now .