Threadmills

for greyhounds or lurchers? most lurchers are gettin worked this time of year to be fit enough, greyhounds we use them once every day (evenings) except days there trialing or been galloped.. if the dogs comin back from injury give at least 2 weeks road work to have a decent level of fitness before put on a threadmill..

So would you say that the mill plays a big part in the overall fitness or could ya do without??

Trained greyhounds for over 20 years and never had a treadmill, if the weathers bad get their jackets on and get them out

it won't do them any harm. That said I only ever had 3-4 dogs at one time so maybe a treadmill would be an advantage if you had a lot of dogs. One downside is that dogs don't get the mental stimulus on a treadmill that they do when out walking the roads and fields.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So would you say that the mill plays a big part in the overall fitness or could ya do without??

of course u can certainly do without but it is a help for fitness and conditioning.. but by no means would i substitute the mill for road work altogether,, just as an extra to build fitness, i would always walk the dogs before putting them on the threadmill.. ive had hounds here who would come back from walks and jump straight on the walker, some dogs love it..

• 2 weeks later...

Treadmill is a excellent tool in getting a dog fit

Incline electric mills are perfect for building endurance in a dog & like stated all ready they get to love them.

Fitness is based on recovery the fitter you are the faster you recover' dogs as well as humans have muscle memory and long walks build muscle endurance which for a GH I think it's important to mix endurance with explosive power plus it's easier on a dog than road work it's a good way to build up a dog before the hard work starts and it's good to warm a down on after a hard work out.

• Like 2