ADVICE PLEASE

I use a 222 which is fine but as has been said, if the land is cleared for 243 then I would give it some serious consideration as you may get the opportunity to use it on deer on the estate later. This would save you the cost of having two rifles. If you are getting the 243 it would be worth getting deer put on your FAC from the start. What have you got on your FAC already?

Second that. A 243 will do everything and more than the 222, and you might as well have Deer added just in case,

, I HAVE NOW OBTAINED MY FAC,

if you have already obtained your fac surely you will have already sorted the calibre you need ?

That's what I was thinking, if he has just been granted his FAC he must have requested calibre/calibres!

:thumbs:

i asked for some advice, not the third degree. on my FAC is, .17 22.RF 22.250. AS I CLEARLY STATED [FOX ONLY] no intrest at all in deer. i dident think it was a hard question to ask. my budget is 1 riffle. so ile ask again, best calibre please up to 200mtrs with lamp and on foot as there is a lot of unaccessable land with vehicle, so the weight is also important. thanks. yis alli.

i asked for some advice, not the third degree. on my FAC.................

The only reason people are asking about your fac is because, what's the point in folk giving you advice on a good foxing caliber if its not down on your ticket for you to acquire one ,Mr arrogant .

i asked for some advice, not the third degree. on my FAC is, .17 22.RF 22.250. AS I CLEARLY STATED [FOX ONLY] no intrest at all in deer. i dident think it was a hard question to ask. my budget is 1 riffle. so ile ask again, best calibre please up to 200mtrs with lamp and on foot as there is a lot of unaccessable land with vehicle, so the weight is also important. thanks. yis alli.

Just use the 22-250 then.....................

having read all the advice offered on different calibres and carefully considering your requirements, 2 calibres better suited to your situation would be .308 or a .3006 without the added complication of a sound moderator.

alli i would opt for the 243,because in a good wind the bullet doesent move as much as the lighter rifles,hope this helps and good luck with what ever you choose,wf

having read all the advice offered on different calibres and carefully considering your requirements, 2 calibres better suited to your situation would be .308 or a .3006 without the added complication of a sound moderator.

Are you taking the piss, Alli just go with the 22/250 it's already on your FAC, but apply for a moderator.

Edited by provarmint

Careful which of the above advice you take...................... :thumbs:

222, 223, 22-250, 17 rem, 17 fireball, hornet, .243............ and a host of other unmentioned calibres will do the job just fine.....

Accuracy and ethics are far more important that calibre.

• Like 1

I dont own one but what i have seen of a .243 make's it a allrounder and more than capable of hitting target's at stupid distance's whatever it may be..a rabbit upto a deer would not be safe if the shooter is on the ball..as for speed and ricochet..can't you opt for a smaller fast balistic tip round.that flies to pieces what ever it hit's.

Millet, talking about small, fast bullets that "fly to pieces whatever they hit" leads to a dangerous mind set. If a shot is not safe with a .243, it's not safe with a .17HMR. A 17 will carry on over the hills and be dangerous at frightening ranges, so if the backstop isn't there, don't even consider the shot. As for ricochet, ANY round can ricochet, no matter how fast it flies or how easily it breaks up. Added to that, ricochet is totally unpredictable, so no round is safe from ricochet.

• Like 2

Millet, talking about small, fast bullets that "fly to pieces whatever they hit" leads to a dangerous mind set. If a shot is not safe with a .243, it's not safe with a .17HMR. A 17 will carry on over the hills and be dangerous at frightening ranges, so if the backstop isn't there, don't even consider the shot. As for ricochet, ANY round can ricochet, no matter how fast it flies or how easily it breaks up. Added to that, ricochet is totally unpredictable, so no round is safe from ricochet.

:thumbs: