Semi Auto .22 v Bolt action .22?

Hi guys, just wondering really why there seems to be a big price difference between semi auto and bolt action .22lr's on the second hand market? Any info on the subject would be great? Are bolt action generally better? Surely they can be more accurate or have greater range?T

Hi guys, just wondering really why there seems to be a big price difference between semi auto and bolt action .22lr's on the second hand market? Any info on the subject would be great? Are bolt action generally better? Surely they can be more accurate or have greater range?T

range is the same, the bolt action does have the edge on accuracy, semi autos are cheaper to manufacture as there is no bolt. a new bolt alone for say a cz is over £100.

It is down to personal preference. But a bolt action will be slightly quiter as you will not have the bolt moving like semi auto . On the other hand you can take more shots quicker without taking your eye off the target. Like there are 2 rabbits next to each other take one out then the other. You normally have to train yourself not to empty the magazine at one rabbit. The only thing is the type of ammo you use. If fed Winchester Super X they jam every now and again and are very dirty, if fed CCi goes like a dream no issues. I have a Ruger 10/22 semi auto it is absolutely brilliant and it is over 15++ years old and still going strong. For me personally it is a semi auto all the way.

I had a Remington 597 and it was accurate enough and it looked the part, it was just totally unreliable, it jammed at all the wrong times! IE any shot on live quarry! I tried it clean, dirty, inbetween and with all sorts of ammo. Winchester seemed to be the best in this rifle, but they are all different.

Anyway, I traded it in and now have a bolt action Anshutz and I love it! I think it is more accurate, aye feeding rounds is slower, but hopefully I will be killing with the first shot!

For me, bolt action all the way....too many rabbits etc escaped with the semi auto......

Hi:

Personally I prefer a bolt, as has been said Semi's are a bit unreliable in terms of cycling, but this is I believe because most of use subsonics and moderators

and the reloading mechanism doesn't like and wasn't designed (in most cases) for the lighter recoil of the lower power subsonic shells.

I have owned quite a few different .22's over 30 odd years, and had two different Semi's, and both worked fairly good if I used HV ammo.

As for accuracy I didn't think there was much in it, true my later bolts are more accurate, but I'm sure that's more to do with expensive rifles and scopes than the 'nut & bolts'

of the basic designs.

At the end of the day it's up to you, but for your average .22 user I reccomend a CZ Varmint with a decent 'airgun' scope! Not much to beat it as it is right up there with

the 'best' kit.

AF

range is the same, the bolt action does have the edge on accuracy, semi autos are cheaper to manufacture as there is no bolt. a new bolt alone for say a cz is over £100.

yes, what he said :yes:

• Like 1

Used a 10-22 for a while but using it everyday for work it just kept filling with crap and then would jam up switched back to a bolt anschutz and love it that said now cz do the shorter barrel on their .22's I reckon I would have had one of their synthetic ones :thumbs:

Used a 10-22 for a while but using it everyday for work it just kept filling with crap and then would jam up switched back to a bolt anschutz and love it that said now cz do the shorter barrel on their .22's I reckon I would have had one of their synthetic ones :thumbs:

ive got the nickel synthetic cz it had a 20 inch barrel, just had it cut down to 16 inch best thing ive had done, bob on in the motor now no more yoga moves to turn it around :laugh:

Depends what you are doing,most of whats been said is correct you do have a accuracy difference,bolt is more accurate however I would pick the gun for the job,as there is not much in it,If your permission has lots of live stock,as in horses cattle, spooky animals go for the quieter bolt action if not then it wont make not much difference,keep the semi auto clean and use good ammo you will be fine,and thats the trick with a semi auto is consistant pressures from the amunition buy quality stuff, I am just thinking of buying a pump action to try,If I can find one as these I think may be a good compromise between the two,

Depends what you are doing,most of whats been said is correct you do have a accuracy difference,bolt is more accurate however I would pick the gun for the job,as there is not much in it,If your permission has lots of live stock,as in horses cattle, spooky animals go for the quieter bolt action if not then it wont make not much difference,keep the semi auto clean and use good ammo you will be fine,and thats the trick with a semi auto is consistant pressures from the amunition buy quality stuff, I am just thinking of buying a pump action to try,If I can find one as these I think may be a good compromise between the two,

a gunshop local to me has just had an old remmington pump action one handed in, its got the old popup leaf sight on the back.

So bolt action it is then by sound of it! Next question! I have seen some CZ Brno's for around 300 second hand, and Brno's for between 100 - 200. Can someone explain the difference? Would there be a world of difference between and Anschutz, Ruger and CZ? there seems to be plenty to choose from. Thaks for the info, Tim.