pigs in uk

The boar are around 400lbs, they aren't pigs or hogs, they are true wild boar. The woodland is old, broad leaf and the boar usually get themselves into the thickest part of it when pushed hard by the dogs. The dogs used are fox terrier types between 5 and 8 couple are normally used. Slug guns, lever guns or handguns are used to despatch the Sanglier that's held at bay. A short handled boar spear was used during one hunt, which was a centenary of something. It's a village affair with all the communes coming together, there's a big feast and festival after with all the locals there. It's not a couple of blokes out in the woods. The pigs we have in the UK, at least those local to me, are true wild boar, not feral pigs or hogs. I know the difference between the 2. In Hawaii we hunted feral pigs and they were stuck with a knife, in dense forest on the side of the mountain. These are two completely different animals.

mate show me a pic of a 400lbs boar. your nothing but a shit talker bud.

and mate what are they called when there under this so called 400lbs

a wild or feral male pig is a boar a female wild or feral pig is a sow simple

rpbd

I think we're all getting mixed up and that maybe why its getting so heated. Yeeharr is talking about european wild boar, they are bigger than what you guys in oz have which, as far as I know, are descended from feral domestic pigs.

This is from wiki, not the best source i know but it gives an idea of the weights. ATB

"Adult boars measure 90–200 cm (35–79 in) in length, not counting a tail of 15–40 cm (5.9–16 in), and have a shoulder height of 55–110 cm (22–43 in).[7][8] As a whole, their average weight is 50–90 kg (110–200 pounds), though boars show a great deal of weight variation within their geographical ranges.[9] In central Italy, their weight usually ranges from 80 to 100 kg (180 to 220 lb) while boars shot in Tuscany have been recorded to weigh up to 150 kg (331 lb). An unusually large French specimen shot in Negremont forest in Ardenne in 1999 weighed 227 kg (550 lb). Carpathian boars have been recorded to reach weights of 200 kg (441 lb). Romanian and Russian boars can reach weights of 300 kg (661 lb), while unconfirmed giants reported in early Russian hunting journals have reportedly weighed up to 320 kg (710 lb).[7][8] Generally speaking, native Eurasian boars follow Bergmann's rule, with smaller boars nearer the tropics and larger, smaller-eared boars in the North of their range. Mature sows from Southeast Asia and southern India may weigh as little as 44 kg (97 lb).[8]"

• Like 1

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dont know where to start.........not many of u have any idea about Pig hunting.........one dog can catch a pig this is how we here in NZ judge a good dog if it cant catch on its own its only a mutt.

kev you aint got a good dog for them then weve had plenty some inthe freezer now may have another before xmas

typical rifle man no sport in shooting game imo its alot better and enjoyable seeing a dog you brought on as a pup to do the job in hand jmo

Posted Images

Isn't a pig dog a catch dog that holds the pig till its dispatched

I carnt see how any one would take the chance with a wild boar with one dog

What's the best

American Bull Dogs ?

Pit xs

I'd think a 75 lb to 95 lb dog can hold one of them till it's dispatched

I think that's the diffrence with American bull dogs they hold the pig and don't try and fight it' you wouldn't want a dog letting go while your in range of them tusks & teeth

mate imo most dogs will lug or bail a pig (catch or bay )a pig

although i only run finder luggers and dispatch with a knife and dont see a bailer as a real pig dog lol

all dogs should have a plate on and at very least a rip colar they dont kill pigs they hold a pig till the dogman is there

best dog well that depends on terrain

in aus there is a breed called bullarab proble one of the beter know perpose breed pig dogs world wide which is a finder luger but there are hell of a lot more

some one menchend ned who has dogs called butters dogs also very good dogs

line breed bullygrays breed by peter A and rod B are also good dogs

the yanks have a dog called dogo witch are ment to be good but iv never seen one work

some better known breeds which go alright as finder luggers would be

pitbull

boxer

stag hound

wolf hound

as bailers would be

australian kelpie

ridgeback

catahoulas

best dog iv owned would be pity x butters dog x collie x australia cattle dog

atb rpbd

The most common catch dog over the pond is the American bulldog, the dogo is a south American breed though some use the breed in the USA

I used to live in Spain and the Spanish know how to hunt Boar alright!

The size is a little different though. There are some monsters over there. I remember my pointer went off into some trees while I was walking my dogs. I thought he was after a Hare or maybe a partridge. Then he came bolting out towards me tail between the legs and following him was the biggest pig i've ever seen!

Luckily I had all the dogs with me ( Pointer, Lurcher and 2 rottweilers) They chased it over the mountain and they were gone for a good 15 mins. My Lurcher and 1 of the rottys biting at the back legs. I figured the Lurcher and pointer would be dead because it had some size tusks on it. But they all returned home. The pointer had a big gash on the belly but the rest were ok.

The Spanish hunt them with packs of about 20 dogs. Big dogs. And they have to stitch the dogs up there and then when they go out.

This is what they use..

big_332.jpg

Sorry I know this thread isn't about Spanish Boar

Isn't a pig dog a catch dog that holds the pig till its dispatched

I carnt see how any one would take the chance with a wild boar with one dog

What's the best

American Bull Dogs ?

Pit xs

I'd think a 75 lb to 95 lb dog can hold one of them till it's dispatched

I think that's the diffrence with American bull dogs they hold the pig and don't try and fight it' you wouldn't want a dog letting go while your in range of them tusks & teeth

mate imo most dogs will lug or bail a pig (catch or bay )a pig

although i only run finder luggers and dispatch with a knife and dont see a bailer as a real pig dog lol

all dogs should have a plate on and at very least a rip colar they dont kill pigs they hold a pig till the dogman is there

best dog well that depends on terrain

in aus there is a breed called bullarab proble one of the beter know perpose breed pig dogs world wide which is a finder luger but there are hell of a lot more

some one menchend ned who has dogs called butters dogs also very good dogs

line breed bullygrays breed by peter A and rod B are also good dogs

the yanks have a dog called dogo witch are ment to be good but iv never seen one work

some better known breeds which go alright as finder luggers would be

pitbull

boxer

stag hound

wolf hound

as bailers would be

australian kelpie

ridgeback

catahoulas

best dog iv owned would be pity x butters dog x collie x australia cattle dog

atb rpbd

The most common catch dog over the pond is the American bulldog, the dogo is a south American breed though some use the breed in the USA

The size is a little different though. There are some monsters over there. I remember my pointer went off into some trees while I was walking my dogs. I thought he was after a Hare or maybe a partridge. Then he came bolting out towards me tail between the legs and following him was the biggest pig i've ever seen!

Luckily I had all the dogs with me ( Pointer, Lurcher and 2 rottweilers) They chased it over the mountain and they were gone for a good 15 mins. My Lurcher and 1 of the rottys biting at the back legs. I figured the Lurcher and pointer would be dead because it had some size tusks on it. But they all returned home. The pointer had a big gash on the belly but the rest were ok.

The Spanish hunt them with packs of about 20 dogs. Big dogs. And they have to stitch the dogs up there and then when they go out.

This is what they use..

big_332.jpg

That an Alano?

No, it's a Perro de presa Canario (a Canary Dog). They cross them too normally with mastiffs. I seen a guy that had one nearly as big as a Great Dane. The muscle on it was unreal and one of the toughest looking dogs Iv'e ever seen. They are a hard dog to handle and have been known to kill grown men.

No, it's a Perro de presa Canario (a Canary Dog). They cross them too normally with mastiffs. I seen a guy that had one nearly as big as a Great Dane. The muscle on it was unreal and one of the toughest looking dogs Iv'e ever seen. They are a hard dog to handle and have been known to kill grown men.

its a good looking presa alot better then ones ones i've seen over here.

Never actualy heard of any dogs KILING a wild boar; they usualy hold it or bail it until the hunter administers the coupe de grace !

Cheers.

A few real younguns get killed, but rare.

There's a lot of confusion between feral hogs/hybrids and genuine boar. There's also a lot of confusion with regards to a dog catching one and a dog killing one, two very different things. In France we hunted boar with a pack of fox terriers. They run the pig, hold it at bay and then the pig is shot. When a sounder of boars run, it's every pig for themselves. A couple of decent dogs will probably pick of young pigs or pregnant sows but don't be under the misapprehension that you won't need to get involved and administer the coup de grace. I don't care how much weight you say you can lift in your willy measuring contest, you won't be lifting the back leg of a mature boar and sticking a knife in.

I'm always amazed how people are so sure of what can and can't be done when they have no real world experience of it. Some of those giving advice have never even seen a boar in the wild, let alone run one!! I live in Sussex and we've had them here and in Kent (Biddenden, Tenterden, Romney Marsh) for years. You might not always see them but you'll certainly hear them!

Chart, I've just got my pal to read my post and he said that it does read as though I'm saying it can't be done. He said sometimes my sarcasm is lost on the slower witted. So for that I apologise. It's not what I meant but it's what I posted and you read it as. I won't change it.

If you can now apologise for trying to win the argument by lying about North Africa, then we can move on. I'd be interested to hear about Eastern Europe, 3 of the blokes that work for me are from there and all are sporting gents, maybe they'll know where you've been.

The only way you can read it IMO is your saying it can't be done. Can you tell me what is the range of size of boar you have hunted? Maybe in clear woodland with no thick stuff (maybe youve done it commercially and 'keepered' situations - not meant derogatorily sp. Id like to experience the same, but my hunting is the other end of the scale!), "decent dogs" can choose (I dont know), but cannot see dogs picking/choosing scent of an easier animal by scent.

If your worried about your dog getting hurt, you would be better going down the route of a couple of hound or hound crosses. They will bay up a boar and mostly just stand off and shout. You will be better off with a rifle with open sights or a handgun( if allowed) to dispatch it. And its within the legal framework of the hunting act in England and Wales, flushing to a gun.

Hunt/hunted a lot with mostly hounds and seen lots get on the sharp end & have dealt with pigs stopped solely by hounds. Maybe in the open hounds can dodge getting charged but in the thick of it in the thick stuff? so thick you can be a metre away from a pig hounds have stopped and only see the hounds. (I am outside of UK).

What's that hound Waz?

Stabs ive asked a couple of times and forgotten every time! LOL.

Be a good thing to let UK landowners organise/manage the boar how they see fit. Something id like to experience in the future, fcuk id be a tourist! LOL

waz can you empty your pm box please need to speek thanks

The boar are around 400lbs, they aren't pigs or hogs, they are true wild boar. The woodland is old, broad leaf and the boar usually get themselves into the thickest part of it when pushed hard by the dogs. The dogs used are fox terrier types between 5 and 8 couple are normally used. Slug guns, lever guns or handguns are used to despatch the Sanglier that's held at bay. A short handled boar spear was used during one hunt, which was a centenary of something. It's a village affair with all the communes coming together, there's a big feast and festival after with all the locals there. It's not a couple of blokes out in the woods. The pigs we have in the UK, at least those local to me, are true wild boar, not feral pigs or hogs. I know the difference between the 2. In Hawaii we hunted feral pigs and they were stuck with a knife, in dense forest on the side of the mountain. These are two completely different animals.

mate show me a pic of a 400lbs boar. your nothing but a shit talker bud.

and mate what are they called when there under this so called 400lbs

a wild or feral male pig is a boar a female wild or feral pig is a sow simple

rpbd

I think we're all getting mixed up and that maybe why its getting so heated. Yeeharr is talking about european wild boar, they are bigger than what you guys in oz have which, as far as I know, are descended from feral domestic pigs.

This is from wiki, not the best source i know but it gives an idea of the weights. ATB

"Adult boars measure 90–200 cm (35–79 in) in length, not counting a tail of 15–40 cm (5.9–16 in), and have a shoulder height of 55–110 cm (22–43 in).[7][8] As a whole, their average weight is 50–90 kg (110–200 pounds), though boars show a great deal of weight variation within their geographical ranges.[9] In central Italy, their weight usually ranges from 80 to 100 kg (180 to 220 lb) while boars shot in Tuscany have been recorded to weigh up to 150 kg (331 lb). An unusually large French specimen shot in Negremont forest in Ardenne in 1999 weighed 227 kg (550 lb). Carpathian boars have been recorded to reach weights of 200 kg (441 lb). Romanian and Russian boars can reach weights of 300 kg (661 lb), while unconfirmed giants reported in early Russian hunting journals have reportedly weighed up to 320 kg (710 lb).[7][8] Generally speaking, native Eurasian boars follow Bergmann's rule, with smaller boars nearer the tropics and larger, smaller-eared boars in the North of their range. Mature sows from Southeast Asia and southern India may weigh as little as 44 kg (97 lb).[8]"

lol mate have you read yeehars post start to finish he talks nothing but uter shit in 95% of them im not disagreeing that they dont get over 400lbs live iv seen heaps of photos of them taken with 2 dogs

mate iv herd of pigs taken in aus up and around the 2 tonner witch is 200kg or 440lbs but my best are just over 1 tonners and thats live weight not box weight so proble not even real tonners lol

as far as i know it take 5 generations born i captivity for something be called domistic and vise versa for it to be called feral or wild again

bigest pig i know of was taken by a 11 year old kid in 07 or 08 that poped up in piging mags it was just over 1050 lbs ill dig up a pic for ya

like i was saying in the post u pulled out if its male not a sucker and wild its a boar (wild boar) like wiki said lol

and imo yeehar is just a net hunter that looked up wiki as well and has had f**k all to do with hunting pigs with dogs or proble at all let alone a 400 pounder

and like i said yeehar put you money were your fingers are and lets see these 400 pounders

This is what they use..

big_332.jpg

lol yeah mate spanish know how to hunt pigs mate lol

using bandogs and 20 of them lol

what a joke tell that to a real pighunt

That's photoshopped mate that would weigh at least 2 tonne not half a tonne

mate its not fotoshopped trust me it was well looked into when it came out and every pig hunter i know was talking about it for ages after it came out.

most people tell you they have 200kg pig running around you go out and get it and most of the time you weigh them and its 80 odd kg they look heaps bigger then they weigh i have no dought in my mind that is what a 450kg pig looks like