pigs in uk

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dont know where to start.........not many of u have any idea about Pig hunting.........one dog can catch a pig this is how we here in NZ judge a good dog if it cant catch on its own its only a mutt.

kev you aint got a good dog for them then weve had plenty some inthe freezer now may have another before xmas

typical rifle man no sport in shooting game imo its alot better and enjoyable seeing a dog you brought on as a pup to do the job in hand jmo

Posted Images

Never actualy heard of any dogs KILING a wild boar; they usualy hold it or bail it until the hunter administers the coupe de grace !

Cheers.

A few real younguns get killed, but rare.

There's a lot of confusion between feral hogs/hybrids and genuine boar. There's also a lot of confusion with regards to a dog catching one and a dog killing one, two very different things. In France we hunted boar with a pack of fox terriers. They run the pig, hold it at bay and then the pig is shot. When a sounder of boars run, it's every pig for themselves. A couple of decent dogs will probably pick of young pigs or pregnant sows but don't be under the misapprehension that you won't need to get involved and administer the coup de grace. I don't care how much weight you say you can lift in your willy measuring contest, you won't be lifting the back leg of a mature boar and sticking a knife in.

I'm always amazed how people are so sure of what can and can't be done when they have no real world experience of it. Some of those giving advice have never even seen a boar in the wild, let alone run one!! I live in Sussex and we've had them here and in Kent (Biddenden, Tenterden, Romney Marsh) for years. You might not always see them but you'll certainly hear them!

Chart, I've just got my pal to read my post and he said that it does read as though I'm saying it can't be done. He said sometimes my sarcasm is lost on the slower witted. So for that I apologise. It's not what I meant but it's what I posted and you read it as. I won't change it.

If you can now apologise for trying to win the argument by lying about North Africa, then we can move on. I'd be interested to hear about Eastern Europe, 3 of the blokes that work for me are from there and all are sporting gents, maybe they'll know where you've been.

The only way you can read it IMO is your saying it can't be done. Can you tell me what is the range of size of boar you have hunted? Maybe in clear woodland with no thick stuff (maybe youve done it commercially and 'keepered' situations - not meant derogatorily sp. Id like to experience the same, but my hunting is the other end of the scale!), "decent dogs" can choose (I dont know), but cannot see dogs picking/choosing scent of an easier animal by scent.

If your worried about your dog getting hurt, you would be better going down the route of a couple of hound or hound crosses. They will bay up a boar and mostly just stand off and shout. You will be better off with a rifle with open sights or a handgun( if allowed) to dispatch it. And its within the legal framework of the hunting act in England and Wales, flushing to a gun.

Hunt/hunted a lot with mostly hounds and seen lots get on the sharp end & have dealt with pigs stopped solely by hounds. Maybe in the open hounds can dodge getting charged but in the thick of it in the thick stuff? so thick you can be a metre away from a pig hounds have stopped and only see the hounds. (I am outside of UK).

What's that hound Waz?

Stabs ive asked a couple of times and forgotten every time! LOL.

Be a good thing to let UK landowners organise/manage the boar how they see fit. Something id like to experience in the future, fcuk id be a tourist! LOL

Edited by GD Waz

The boar are around 400lbs, they aren't pigs or hogs, they are true wild boar. The woodland is old, broad leaf and the boar usually get themselves into the thickest part of it when pushed hard by the dogs. The dogs used are fox terrier types between 5 and 8 couple are normally used. Slug guns, lever guns or handguns are used to despatch the Sanglier that's held at bay. A short handled boar spear was used during one hunt, which was a centenary of something. It's a village affair with all the communes coming together, there's a big feast and festival after with all the locals there. It's not a couple of blokes out in the woods. The pigs we have in the UK, at least those local to me, are true wild boar, not feral pigs or hogs. I know the difference between the 2. In Hawaii we hunted feral pigs and they were stuck with a knife, in dense forest on the side of the mountain. These are two completely different animals.

The boar are around 400lbs, they aren't pigs or hogs, they are true wild boar. The woodland is old, broad leaf and the boar usually get themselves into the thickest part of it when pushed hard by the dogs. The dogs used are fox terrier types between 5 and 8 couple are normally used. Slug guns, lever guns or handguns are used to despatch the Sanglier that's held at bay. A short handled boar spear was used during one hunt, which was a centenary of something. It's a village affair with all the communes coming together, there's a big feast and festival after with all the locals there. It's not a couple of blokes out in the woods. The pigs we have in the UK, at least those local to me, are true wild boar, not feral pigs or hogs. I know the difference between the 2. In Hawaii we hunted feral pigs and they were stuck with a knife, in dense forest on the side of the mountain. These are two completely different animals.

Handguns?

i know few fellas that have killed wild boar around [bANNED TEXT] way ,[bANNED TEXT] dogs and the storys they told actualy catching em even seen their pics biggest being 190 lb gutted keep post on track rather than bitching it should be good atb

Yeah, pistols, usually wheel guns with a reasonable sized cartridge. Although in fairness, any calibre will do at the limited range.

Only queried it because I thought pistols were only allowed over in France for target only.

Never actualy heard of any dogs KILING a wild boar; they usualy hold it or bail it until the hunter administers the coupe de grace !

Cheers.

A few real younguns get killed, but rare.

There's a lot of confusion between feral hogs/hybrids and genuine boar. There's also a lot of confusion with regards to a dog catching one and a dog killing one, two very different things. In France we hunted boar with a pack of fox terriers. They run the pig, hold it at bay and then the pig is shot. When a sounder of boars run, it's every pig for themselves. A couple of decent dogs will probably pick of young pigs or pregnant sows but don't be under the misapprehension that you won't need to get involved and administer the coup de grace. I don't care how much weight you say you can lift in your willy measuring contest, you won't be lifting the back leg of a mature boar and sticking a knife in.

I'm always amazed how people are so sure of what can and can't be done when they have no real world experience of it. Some of those giving advice have never even seen a boar in the wild, let alone run one!! I live in Sussex and we've had them here and in Kent (Biddenden, Tenterden, Romney Marsh) for years. You might not always see them but you'll certainly hear them!

Chart, I've just got my pal to read my post and he said that it does read as though I'm saying it can't be done. He said sometimes my sarcasm is lost on the slower witted. So for that I apologise. It's not what I meant but it's what I posted and you read it as. I won't change it.

If you can now apologise for trying to win the argument by lying about North Africa, then we can move on. I'd be interested to hear about Eastern Europe, 3 of the blokes that work for me are from there and all are sporting gents, maybe they'll know where you've been.

The only way you can read it IMO is your saying it can't be done. Can you tell me what is the range of size of boar you have hunted? Maybe in clear woodland with no thick stuff (maybe youve done it commercially and 'keepered' situations - not meant derogatorily sp. Id like to experience the same, but my hunting is the other end of the scale!), "decent dogs" can choose (I dont know), but cannot see dogs picking/choosing scent of an easier animal by scent.

If your worried about your dog getting hurt, you would be better going down the route of a couple of hound or hound crosses. They will bay up a boar and mostly just stand off and shout. You will be better off with a rifle with open sights or a handgun( if allowed) to dispatch it. And its within the legal framework of the hunting act in England and Wales, flushing to a gun.

Hunt/hunted a lot with mostly hounds and seen lots get on the sharp end & have dealt with pigs stopped solely by hounds. Maybe in the open hounds can dodge getting charged but in the thick of it in the thick stuff? so thick you can be a metre away from a pig hounds have stopped and only see the hounds. (I am outside of UK).

What's that hound Waz?

Stabs ive asked a couple of times and forgotten every time! LOL.

Be a good thing to let UK landowners organise/manage the boar how they see fit. Something id like to experience in the future, fcuk id be a tourist! LOL

Hi GD WAZ

Yes They do get beat up of course, especially in thick cover, Ive lost hounds to boar both in Europe and the Americas, but as far as things go, we dont feel the need to put vests on our hounds, they are generally keen to bay a boar, nipping and biting but not full-on holding. I would however, never let my catch dogs or bully lurchers on boar without vests, they would get trashed.

I was just trying to help out the lad who seemed very nervous of letting his dog try stop a boar, for fear of excessive injury. Hounds rarely take undue punishment in comparison to most lurchers and purpose bred holders :thumbs: At no time did I mean to say that hounds wont get injured, sorry for the missunderstanding matey

mate show me a pic of a 400lbs boar. your nothing but a shit talker bud.

and mate what are they called when there under this so called 400lbs

a wild or feral male pig is a boar a female wild or feral pig is a sow simple

rpbd

Isn't a pig dog a catch dog that holds the pig till its dispatched

I carnt see how any one would take the chance with a wild boar with one dog

What's the best

American Bull Dogs ?

Pit xs

I'd think a 75 lb to 95 lb dog can hold one of them till it's dispatched

I think that's the diffrence with American bull dogs they hold the pig and don't try and fight it' you wouldn't want a dog letting go while your in range of them tusks & teeth

mate imo most dogs will lug or bail a pig (catch or bay )a pig

although i only run finder luggers and dispatch with a knife and dont see a bailer as a real pig dog lol

all dogs should have a plate on and at very least a rip colar they dont kill pigs they hold a pig till the dogman is there

best dog well that depends on terrain

in aus there is a breed called bullarab proble one of the beter know perpose breed pig dogs world wide which is a finder luger but there are hell of a lot more

some one menchend ned who has dogs called butters dogs also very good dogs

line breed bullygrays breed by peter A and rod B are also good dogs

the yanks have a dog called dogo witch are ment to be good but iv never seen one work

some better known breeds which go alright as finder luggers would be

pitbull

boxer

stag hound

wolf hound

as bailers would be

australian kelpie

ridgeback

catahoulas

best dog iv owned would be pity x butters dog x collie x australia cattle dog

atb rpbd