Just wondering if anyone can help, is there a proper form

to apply for an open licence, or do you have to put it down

as a variation on a FAC application form, and if that is the

case where the hell do you put it?

It is the same form you fill in for a FAC.Is it a new application for a FAC?

You fill in the form as you would for a FAC and where it asks you where you are going to use it you put a small statement in like "On land where I have the permission to shoot with that class of firearm from the person who owns the shooting rights or from whom they may be leased"

All you need to do is book a few stalks on different estates and the issuing police office should give you an "open ticket" but apparently down south it is more difficult to obtain for new FAC holders it isn't as difficult up here .

Good luck :victory:

Guest baldie

Must be different up in scotland, there is no such thing in england and wales.You write a letter basically, stating which land you already have, and a "good reason" for wanting an open certificate, such as regular requests from farmers to shoot lamb killers etc, but beware....you MUST have the documentary evidence to back this up, such as written permission, they wont take your word for it. Open tickets used to be granted fairly easily at the first renewell, not any more, as all tickets are classed as "semi open " now ie the holder can shoot on any land where they have permission, and the land has been passed by the police. It used to be that your passed land, was actually written on your ticket....not any more. If they do give an open ticket, you will only get it for the category of firearm you currently posess, whether its rimfire, .22 centrefire, or fullbore. What this means is, if you have a .222 and they give you an open ticket, and you then apply for a .308, it wont be open, unless any of your pieces of land are passed for fullbore, or will pass.

You must also be getting through quite a bit of ammo too, as they will look at this.

Must be different up in scotland, there is no such thing in england and wales.You write a letter basically, stating which land you already have, and a "good reason" for wanting an open certificate, such as regular requests from farmers to shoot lamb killers etc, but beware....you MUST have the documentary evidence to back this up, such as written permission, they wont take your word for it. Open tickets used to be granted fairly easily at the first renewell, not any more, as all tickets are classed as "semi open " now ie the holder can shoot on any land where they have permission, and the land has been passed by the police. It used to be that your passed land, was actually written on your ticket....not any more. If they do give an open ticket, you will only get it for the category of firearm you currently posess, whether its rimfire, .22 centrefire, or fullbore. What this means is, if you have a .222 and they give you an open ticket, and you then apply for a .308, it wont be open, unless any of your pieces of land are passed for fullbore, or will pass.

You must also be getting through quite a bit of ammo too, as they will look at this.

Thanks for that Baldie, I'll send them a letter with the application form as I'm putting in for a variation anyway, want to change my mod so thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.

rat

It is the same form you fill in for a FAC.Is it a new application for a FAC?

You fill in the form as you would for a FAC and where it asks you where you are going to use it you put a small statement in like "On land where I have the permission to shoot with that class of firearm from the person who owns the shooting rights or from whom they may be leased"

All you need to do is book a few stalks on different estates and the issuing police office should give you an "open ticket" but apparently down south it is more difficult to obtain for new FAC holders it isn't as difficult up here .

Good luck :victory:

Thanks Scotrat

All i done was sent a letter requesting an open ticket even though i have 30 plus farms to shoot on it was refused , i was informed that it had to be my main job of pest control before they granted an open ticket before my first renewal , as my renewal was only 12 month away i left it , when my renewal finaly arived i was granted an open ticket

All i done was sent a letter requesting an open ticket even though i have 30 plus farms to shoot on it was refused , i was informed that it had to be my main job of pest control before they granted an open ticket before my first renewal , as my renewal was only 12 month away i left it , when my renewal finaly arived i was granted an open ticket

i just renewed my tickets , i do full time pest control and they still would issue an open ticket, the officer said all land had to passed as safe for that type of firearm, i only had to phone up and they could check there and then if the land was passed

I was speaking to a wildlife manager telling him about our discussion on this forum.

He deals with the police the length and breadth of the country.English police forces are forcing these so called conditions on people but they have no right to.He explained they can put conditions on NEW certificate holders as they are unproven to be safe with a gun/rifle.But they cannot inforce these conditions indefinately especially if you have fullfilled their expectations.As for not having an open certificate for a pest controller that is a winable 1 straight off as they cannot be seen to limiting your employment rights and as a pest controller you would do an indepth risk assessment prior to shooting an unknown farm I know if I am asked to shoot a farm for the first time I go during the day and identify the safe shooting areas.Has a pest controller to call the police everytime a job comes in what if you can't get the cheif cunstable have you to let work go by.IT IS YOUR RIGHT TO EARN MONEY honestly kick up a fuss and don't be scared of them they can't take your ticket off you for questioning them and tell them you are going to appeal and involve your shooting organisation

It just happens I have a boy from Hatton Derby wanting to come up to stalk up here,I gave him letter stating I was giving him permission to come up and got the usual telephone call from derbyshire constabulary.It turns out yep they gave him a .243 and .270 but when he sent me a copy for the lease purposes it said "on land where the certificate holder has permission and the local cheif cunstable has passed the land for that calibre of rifle" words to that effect.

We are now dealing with Derbyshire police to have this removed as I have too much ground for the police to go around passing fit for firearms use.This boy has passed the NGO marksmans course and DSC1 and several other courses.

It just seems to be an English police thing and the sooner BASC and the NGO get to grips with this the better.

I was at a meeting of SGA recently and the police are wanting to bring allsorts of conditions that will hurt alot of law abiding FAC holders and its all down to the recent spate of Airgun attacks again the FAC holders will pay for reprebates and scoundrels.

I was speaking to a wildlife manager telling him about our discussion on this forum.

He deals with the police the length and breadth of the country.English police forces are forcing these so called conditions on people but they have no right to.He explained they can put conditions on NEW certificate holders as they are unproven to be safe with a gun/rifle.But they cannot inforce these conditions indefinately especially if you have fullfilled their expectations.As for not having an open certificate for a pest controller that is a winable 1 straight off as they cannot be seen to limiting your employment rights and as a pest controller you would do an indepth risk assessment prior to shooting an unknown farm I know if I am asked to shoot a farm for the first time I go during the day and identify the safe shooting areas.Has a pest controller to call the police everytime a job comes in what if you can't get the cheif cunstable have you to let work go by.IT IS YOUR RIGHT TO EARN MONEY honestly kick up a fuss and don't be scared of them they can't take your ticket off you for questioning them and tell them you are going to appeal and involve your shooting organisation

It just happens I have a boy from Hatton Derby wanting to come up to stalk up here,I gave him letter stating I was giving him permission to come up and got the usual telephone call from derbyshire constabulary.It turns out yep they gave him a .243 and .270 but when he sent me a copy for the lease purposes it said "on land where the certificate holder has permission and the local cheif cunstable has passed the land for that calibre of rifle" words to that effect.

We are now dealing with Derbyshire police to have this removed as I have too much ground for the police to go around passing fit for firearms use.This boy has passed the NGO marksmans course and DSC1 and several other courses.

It just seems to be an English police thing and the sooner BASC and the NGO get to grips with this the better.

I was at a meeting of SGA recently and the police are wanting to bring allsorts of conditions that will hurt alot of law abiding FAC holders and its all down to the recent spate of Airgun attacks again the FAC holders will pay for reprebates and scoundrels.

interesting stuff, if you shoot on the ground with a 243 or 270 ,then surely the ground will have bin passed already,all the officer said to me was to ring up and they could tell me there and then if the ground is passed, it used to state on my certificate ,that i could use it on ground where i had permission to use that caliber of firearm , i just assumed that the permission was off the landowner ,not the police, dunno if this is the case

Guest baldie

Scotland has a more sensible approach to open tickets, mainly because they are used to dealing with visiting shooters, and there are a lot less people per acre up there, therefore more safe land.

I had to prove i was in full time pest control to get mine, otherwise i would have had to wait for the first renewal, and i constantly had to badger them. I said i was not willing to have a separate land check for every job, when it came up, in lambing season, and they understood....eventually.

interesting stuff, if you shoot on the ground with a 243 or 270 ,then surely the ground will have bin passed already,all the officer said to me was to ring up and they could tell me there and then if the ground is passed, it used to state on my certificate ,that i could use it on ground where i had permission to use that caliber of firearm , i just assumed that the permission was off the landowner ,not the police, dunno if this is the case

Just checked mine and it actually says.....'named farm' and on any other land which the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearm from the person by whom the shooting rights are owned or from whom they may be leased or otherwise obtained.

So the permission to shoot must be from the land owner/shooting rights lease holder.I must just say that I have never had any bother at all from Avon and Somerset police.....maybe I'm lucky,but I doubt it on recent form.

Guest baldie

Thats an open license martin.Providing it then DOESN,T say "on land, and zeroing on ranges deemed suitable by the chief of police for that area, where the land is situated, and over which the holder has lawfull authority to shoot", which would mean, its "semi open" or restricted. Time there was a radical sorting out of firearms law, its a bloody joke.

Moley man all my ground has never been passed by the police.How can the police keep a record or even go and inspect every part of the countryside.

So that means if you get a job in from somebody who wants you to shoot a few marauding muntjack or Red deer you have to call the police and they'll tell you if you can shoot on that land.I wouldn't put up with that I'm sorry the farmer has the right to protect his crops and it doesn't matter what the police say. Aslong as you are safe enough to shoot it doesn't matter what calibre of rifle you shoot with.I have a piece of ground 33 acres I shoot red deer on, ok after a risk assessment I decided the best way to shoot it would be to put up high seats ensuring a safe suitable back stop at all times.

If it is private ground and you can ensure the bullet is not going to leave the boundary you can shoot I'm afraid.

Conditions are fine when it comes to someone picking up a rifle for the first time I don't dispute that but when it comes to putting conditions on licences of people who use it for work they have not got that right and it will be removed if you stand up to them.Don't be scared of them they are only pen pushers half of them haven't even fired a gun let alone have any experience with firearms.They follow guidelines and all it needs is a bit of grit and determination "my wife says it being head strong" and the condition will be removed.

Moley man all my ground has never been passed by the police.How can the police keep a record or even go and inspect every part of the countryside.

So that means if you get a job in from somebody who wants you to shoot a few marauding muntjack or Red deer you have to call the police and they'll tell you if you can shoot on that land.I wouldn't put up with that I'm sorry the farmer has the right to protect his crops and it doesn't matter what the police say. Aslong as you are safe enough to shoot it doesn't matter what calibre of rifle you shoot with.I have a piece of ground 33 acres I shoot red deer on, ok after a risk assessment I decided the best way to shoot it would be to put up high seats ensuring a safe suitable back stop at all times.

If it is private ground and you can ensure the bullet is not going to leave the boundary you can shoot I'm afraid.

Conditions are fine when it comes to someone picking up a rifle for the first time I don't dispute that but when it comes to putting conditions on licences of people who use it for work they have not got that right and it will be removed if you stand up to them.Don't be scared of them they are only pen pushers half of them haven't even fired a gun let alone have any experience with firearms.They follow guidelines and all it needs is a bit of grit and determination "my wife says it being head strong" and the condition will be removed.

just saying what i was told, my licence ain,t back yet , so i dunno what its going to say on it, the officer certainly wasn,t trying to lay down the law , he was just telling me what was what , i also asked him a few other questions that i didn,t have the answers to , but i have now ;)

Guest colin_y

Hi,

I am new on here but have had some experience regarding the topic.

I have attached a PDF file from BASC that helps in filling out the FAC application form. Copy it word for word in the relevant areas and you cannot go wrong.

I have recently found that all communication with FLO is better done after talking to the legal department in whatever shooting organisation you are a member of.

If you are invited to an informal meeting take along your representative. Solves a lot of issues there and then. The Police have their job to do but must apply the law "as it is" and not as they think it should be.

Hope this helps

CWY