j j greenwood

I know they did days out for people wanting to learn about ferreting etc, but I would imagine that this is aimed more at the 'pet' type owner who wants to take a comfortable break in Scotland and do a bit of ferreting at the same time. Jim's a genuine bloke, a bloody good dog behaviourist and a top lurcherman IMO: I hope he gets plenty of custom at a time when there's not a lot of dosh about. Having said that, there's still plenty of people with money...............just not on THL LOL

Is this the same Jim Greenwood that did the 1 to 1 training with lurchers that was based in the manchester area?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sounds a good dog trainer what year did he win it , obeideince is good but natural hunting and good stile better ,eye used to obeidece train them but better with a more natura stile and not to heavy o

thats shocking, charging folk to pass on the ways of the country, be it ferreting, lamping or anything no wonder our passion is dying, an for anybody else reading this,   DO NOT PAY THE MAN FFS, GET

thought about it befor inan,, get a caravan on one of my farms,, arrive fri night lamp,,, all day sat ferreting,,, sat night lamp ,, go home sunday, so 2 nights on the lamp and a days ferreting £100

Posted Images

When i was 16 back in 1990 Plummer invited me and my old man up to Caithness for a weeks ferreting, didn't cost us a penny. Although i was young and impressionable and beleived all i was told until i got older and grew up :laugh: , even so it was a nice gesture.......As has been mentioned sometimes the best experience is learning by your mistakes :thumbs:

Go on....tell us he touched you :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:hmm:I think he left his mark on a lot of people.... :yes:

Sometimes it is what is left unsaid.

I can just remember, many moons ago, when I first went out with someone I knew to learn about ferreting etc. A year of so later I fell in with some people who actually knew what they were doing: they didn't need to kick their dogs to make them stay, nor did they practically strangle their ferrets when they picked them up for fear of them biting. These folks didn't scream at me either if I made a mistake! That first person, I soon realised, was an idiot who knew sod all, but was trying to pass on his (lack of) knowledge to an impressionable me. That idiot also almost shot my dog which was closing on a rabbit: say no more!

Yes, there are a lot of knowledgeable people out there who give willingly and freely of their time and experience, but there's also an awful lot of idiots who pass on misinformation, bad habits and downright ignorance. If I didn't know anyone and I wanted to learn about ferreting I'd sooner pay someone like Jim, whose reputation as a dog man is well known and respected, than chance it with someone I didn't know at all, even if it was for free. Times change, and with the way things are nowadays, the law etc, surely its better (if you can afford it) to spend a weekend learning how to do things properly from someone with a good reputation. Not everyone knows about THL, and not everyone would be willing to chance a weekend with someone they didn't know.

I've been invited out to various places over the years, and soon found out that certain people are happy to invite others out on their 'permission', not having any permission at all! I guess it all depends on which side of the fence you sit, what you want and what you are prepared to do to get it.

And how long your eyelashes are.

I can just remember, many moons ago, when I first went out with someone I knew to learn about ferreting etc. A year of so later I fell in with some people who actually knew what they were doing: they didn't need to kick their dogs to make them stay, nor did they practically strangle their ferrets when they picked them up for fear of them biting. These folks didn't scream at me either if I made a mistake! That first person, I soon realised, was an idiot who knew sod all, but was trying to pass on his (lack of) knowledge to an impressionable me. That idiot also almost shot my dog which was closing on a rabbit: say no more!

Yes, there are a lot of knowledgeable people out there who give willingly and freely of their time and experience, but there's also an awful lot of idiots who pass on misinformation, bad habits and downright ignorance. If I didn't know anyone and I wanted to learn about ferreting I'd sooner pay someone like Jim, whose reputation as a dog man is well known and respected, than chance it with someone I didn't know at all, even if it was for free. Times change, and with the way things are nowadays, the law etc, surely its better (if you can afford it) to spend a weekend learning how to do things properly from someone with a good reputation. Not everyone knows about THL, and not everyone would be willing to chance a weekend with someone they didn't know.

I've been invited out to various places over the years, and soon found out that certain people are happy to invite others out on their 'permission', not having any permission at all! I guess it all depends on which side of the fence you sit, what you want and what you are prepared to do to get it.

And how long your eyelashes are.

thats me and you both knackered then inan lol.

yeh ,, you cant get on the site,, it must be wrote down wrong,,,, does seem alot of £££££££££££, but it does say bed brecky and evning meal in a 4 star place,, so thats going to be £150 for 2 nights,,, still gives him £200 clear,, he might get more takers droping the price ,,, and buying a carravan, and putting folk up in one of them

tomo theres a fortune out there for you .with the rabbits you got at your disposal .you could earn thousands mate.

Yea Doris, that's him. He won the NLRC field trails when that was on the go. One of my mates put the land up for the final, so got the see Jim and his dog work. He says him and his dog worked great as a team, but he did say he had a strange lamping style?? I personally have never seen his dogs work, but I've seen his country show display where his dog fetches a bowl and egg from his ruck sack! Lol

sounds a good dog trainer what year did he win it , obeideince is good but natural hunting and good stile better ,eye used to obeidece train them but better with a more natura stile and not to heavy on sit stay , doesnt work when youre out at nite sit stay but a clever understanding of game and a bit obeidence does work , dont like a dog that looks at owner before cachting or told to go like a dog who thinks for his self a bit

• Like 4

ye obeidence good fun but in the real nitty grity of hunting etc cachting allsorts its the dogs ability 2 go feild after feild out the beam etc i think you can curb a dogs natural hunting stile giving them to many commands ,i hardly talk to a dog on a nite unelss time to high tail it lol for pastures new ,but the sit and stayers they lavish in finger tip control but doesnt make it a good hunting dog

• Like 1

sounds a good dog trainer what year did he win it , obeideince is good but natural hunting and good stile better ,eye used to obeidece train them but better with a more natura stile and not to heavy on sit stay , doesnt work when youre out at nite sit stay but a clever understanding of game and a bit obeidence does work , dont like a dog that looks at owner before cachting or told to go like a dog who thinks for his self a bit

1 of the best posts i ever read on thl :D:victory:

good post whin .ive never been one to shout sit or stay especially when im out at night .one thing i do like em to do is jump into the boot a bit sharpish .especially when your in a hurry .

• Like 1

ye i can write when i want to lol but scared for them bad boys sniffing about to pounce like the hyenas they are , saw dogs trained to a high standard done it my self but what happens after a few years of hard hunting they start looking at you rather than knowing there self ,as the rely on you not there own natural ability , which is no good if the qaurry is 200 yards away high tailing it ,and that big white ass is bounding away in the distance with a 70 quid bounty on its tail in the old days before al the ban ,l i like to bring them up to think there invicible but im still the boss when the crunch comes, but only for real crisis ,i like a dog with the attitude itll run were ever you put it ,not look at you and say what do i do next which i have saw and owned ,no good in the long haul,

• Like 1

i remember a guy with a black lurcher he one it with a david james type colie lurcher old kizzy was eleven then so took a vid for me old mate for memorys sake the same bitch took 37 rabbits round wentworth on shitty land in the bad storm of 87 thats alot of rabbs tomo in an area full of dog men and poachers, ye lucky to have a good memory like the first time i saw the original tor with owner d bird ,like the time we went to the working lurcher dog assosaition i ended up in the stoops estate , with a mr s vickers we got prettty drunk well he, as i was up on my toes as it was a rough pub, that was a laugh old Chalkie was there that nite ,so was several otheres but alas we were never cute enough for the enemy , were you there in the early ninties when we tried to keep the hunting going etc , was it called the assosaition of running dogs or lurchers , hope jim greenwood does well burt adjusts the prices

• Like 1

I'm so glad and thankful to the old boys who allowed me to tag along as a kid to ferret or lamp ect. The thought of having to pay for an education in something which has been there for free to learn for anyone who is interested seems strange to me. Get out there and do it thats how you learn, you may not have field trial dogs, so what. Catahing a rabbit aint rocket science.......