a friend of mine just got a licence for a .22 rimfire and we have been doing a bit of rabbit shooting but were wondering would a.22 rimfire be powerful enough to kill a fox cleanly or would it be to light

Edited by dgill

There's been a lot of debate on this subject here and on other forums, and the simple answer would be, 'yes a 22 rf is powerful enough to kill a Fox cleanly' (and many other larger animals, for that matter) . But there is a 'but', and that 'but' is that range and accurate shot placement are much more vital than with larger, centrefire calibres.

I assume your friend is thinking that he may like to have a go at Foxes, and if so it's important to remember that the ideal outcome of every shot should be a quick, clean kill. If in doubt, don't shoot.

I've killed many foxes with my 22rf just comes down to knowing you distance and bullet drop and placement of shot.

i take shots out to 60yards normally but have taken longer but need to know your gun as said above,i always shot them between the eyes or nice neck shot drops them stone dead on the spot :thumbs:

Do not shoot foxes with a .22 rf unless at close range. What ever people say it is just NOT a suitable calibre for fox, there is far more chance of wounding the fox and much better calibre's out there suited to the job.

Also check the wording on the firearms cert does the .22 section give permission for fox?

Also check the wording on the firearms cert does the .22 section give permission for fox?

I had this discussion with basc regarding a .22 hornet and fox is covered under vermin. Certain police forces have made this condition on your ticket up and tell you that it has to say fox, if they decided to take you to court for shooting a fox because your ticket only says vermin the first thing they would have to do is define the meaning of the word vermin, a fox is vermin, it would be thrown straight out of court.

I aren't saying a 22 rimmy is suitable for fox, but it could be capable with the correct person pulling the trigger within a suitable range.

Edited by THE GRIFF

I had this discussion with basc regarding a .22 hornet and fox is covered under vermin. Certain police forces have made this condition on your ticket up and tell you that it has to say fox, if they decided to take you to court for shooting a fox because your ticket only says vermin the first thing they would have to do is define the meaning of the word vermin, a fox is vermin, it would be thrown straight out of court.

I aren't saying a 22 rimmy is suitable for fox, but it could be capable with the correct person pulling the trigger within a suitable range.

Yep I hear what your saying but my local police force are clear no .22 rf or HMR is permitted for fox, I will let somone else go to court and potentially lose the fire arms ticket to argue if a fox is classed as vermin....

Atb

Do not shoot foxes with a .22 rf unless at close range. What ever people say it is just NOT a suitable calibre for fox, there is far more chance of wounding the fox and much better calibre's out there suited to the job.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: ...as the man says it can do the job but would not be the preferred choice for the simple reason of animal welfare. I have seen foxes run on when shot with bigger calibres, so I would imagine the number of runners you would get would be significant to say don't use a .22rf . There are people who maybe shoot very well with them and have a very high success rate but we all have a bad shot now and again and the margin for error with .22rf is far greater.

Hi

This one pops up slot on this forum and produces good debates, I have rimfires and cf on my cert which states vermin and fox,first of all I do think it is enough to kill a fox at close range but unless it was licking the end of the barrel I wouldn't shoot,we may shoot straight 99% of the time but like said you can get runners with the centrefires so a badly placed shot with the rimmy is bad news,just get a bigger cal for that job, we should all shoot to kill with a humane dispatch in mind.if were going to do a job let's do it propperly

Atb 223

Hello:

The .22RF is ok as long as it's only 50>75 yards, but really it's not enough gun.

If it's what you can get where you have permission, then OK.

I have lots of rifles, and plenty of land, but I can only carry one at a time, so I still shoot the odd Fox with my 22

but only at a push.

My 22,250 is what is needed, no runners from that 'bad boy' , maybe keep a magazine of high velocity CCI's

in the back pocket just in case?