More grub for xmas

Guest reload

Having been on the lookout for a roe doe for a week or two and not getting one in the right situation...'typical'...Sunday it turned out just right :D A lovely health Doe taken within a few hundred yards of it breaking cover. Being a lone hunter generally I find myself using my knowledge of each area of wood to make the quarry break where I want them. Quite often I find they break cover where you have just been, so I often double back to catch them sneaking out.

I know quite few hunters find beating the cover out...the preferred method....but the group hunting experience is not for me. So what tactics do you find best on your own??

Edited by reload

Guest lazylurchers

Good one Reload.

My Method, as i am nearly always on my own or with my other half is always having my pack with me.

I just let the dogs work away quietly and do their thing. :D

My red dog is a real thinker and knows the score all too well. Unfortunatly he has feet trouble so I am at a bit of a loss these days. :D

[Yes well done mate i mostly go out aloan as most people know i use a rifle but this was not always the case. My brother still hunts with a dog as he is a bad lad and the cops wont let him have a gun. Anyway it seems to me that there are a lot of dog men out there that are missing the point of hunting as a teem and how this can help there success rate. I am quite sure if a good lurcher man took the same time as a rifle man to study there quarrie and study stalking tech there success rate would treble. As you say ful load its about getting in the right situation and that can be helped by knowing youe quarrie and stalking very close. I must admit it is harder to get a dog in real close to a deer that is only yards from cover but i have seen a few animals took in this manner and it is realy exciting stuff.

So get the learning head on and the next time you see that deer out in the park dont just let the dog go think could i get my dog in a beter position his success my depend on it. PS MERRY CHRISTMAS :p

Wireviz, well yes that my point I hunted this land for many years....so knowing the area and the deer holding places sure increases you catch rate and your ability to select(as best you can with a dog) your deer. And if you get close and use a special product sprayed on to you and your dog called FIELDCRAFT ;) it sure makes the job quicker and more enjoyable B)

The 'pheasant' beating method just aint my cup of tea!! Maybe you catch more game.....but the stalk is the buzz for me, more often than not I watch the deer and dont even run em :haha:

Edited by reload