Advice lamping!

alright lads hows it going, where i have my permission the bunnies are like tree huggers and sit very very close to the hedgeline, id be lucky to get one sitting out. what im wanting to know is what could i do to give my dogs a better chance at them or i there nothing at all that can be done.

cheers

marc

Go at a different time. Look what way the winds blowing and approach them by walking INTO it so they cant smell or hear you. Look on bbc weather website and type in your area, look for the wind speed. If its less then 10 mph dont bother going. I like it 15 - 20 mph. A bit of drizzle helps too. Keep tight to the hedgerow and shine out into the field from the hedge. If they are lamp shy its no use shining up the field. They are going to run straight to the hedge when they know somethings up so dont light them up untill you are between them and the hedge. The moons is another important thing. If its shining stay at home, full moons are shit. You want no moon at all AND lots of cloud cover ideally. The darker and windier the better.

• Like 2

Go at a different time. Look what way the winds blowing and approach them by walking INTO it so they cant smell or hear you. Look on bbc weather website and type in your area, look for the wind speed. If its less then 10 mph dont bother going. I like it 15 - 20 mph. A bit of drizzle helps too. Keep tight to the hedgerow and shine out into the field from the hedge. If they are lamp shy its no use shining up the field. They are going to run straight to the hedge when they know somethings up so dont light them up untill you are between them and the hedge. The moons is another important thing. If its shining stay at home, full moons are shit. You want no moon at all AND lots of cloud cover ideally. The darker and windier the better.

not bein funny mate but had some good nights with the moon out u carnt stay in and keep waitin 4 the right night coz some time u will not get out 4 weeks atb

• Like 1

not bein funny mate but had some good nights with the moon out u carnt stay in and keep waitin 4 the right night coz some time u will not get out 4 weeks atb

Thats true mate. I have done too but im talking ideal conditions. And he has already said these rabbits are being awkward. I do find it better when its dark as a niggers arse! Lol!

Link to weather site i use. http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Guest borntoevade1988

go out like 1 am - 2 am in the morning if they are close to the headge cuz the later the night gets they start making they way to the middle of the field cuz they feel safer at that time for sum reason and stay tight to the headge and lamp from the headge in to the field cuz when they run they will run to the headge hope this helps

alright lads hows it going, where i have my permission the bunnies are like tree huggers and sit very very close to the hedgeline, id be lucky to get one sitting out. what im wanting to know is what could i do to give my dogs a better chance at them or i there nothing at all that can be done.

cheers

marc

hi lad try to put your self between the rabbit and the edge, when you slip the dog leave the filter on just till your dog is as close as you can then take it off rocking the lamp will help a good deal too

took a walk onto my permission yesterday with my brother to see if we could get abit of ferreting done and let the dogs get abit of a run. we did the first couple of sets and drew a blank which was strange for the spot we were in. walking along the permission we seen one bunny out. decided to walk abit to see if we could find anything new and came across two groups of kids up with ferrets, labrador, lurcher and a terrier x. the kids had around 7 rabbits with them, gutted wasnt the word. incase any of use are wondering how kids got there my permission is arond 10 min walk from housing estate

weather does pay a big part in it especially with the bunnies, i think sometimes if you change your route into a field the thing is animals get used to thing like a routine and if they know exactly where that lamps coming from there off like a flash you come through a diffedrent part of the field you can catch they by suprise doesnt always work but it does do the trick now and again, years ago my mate had some permission that held quite a few hares this 1 hare in perticular knew what way we were aproaching him from every time til this one fateful night we decided to slip the dog through the hedge after a good course he was in the bag :thumbs:

Guest born to run1083

Always stay tight glued to the hedge never walk out in the field, try and never shine in the direction your walking this will not alert them as quick that your sweeping round. That's about all you can do. To get close enough to give them a run. Also last thing might sound silly but don't be lamp happy only use it when it's really needed and never shine directly on the rabbit if you can help it put it to the side till the dogs close enough to strike at the squatter or up rabbit. penda raised a massive point about the weather but this should of been your main thought even before you left

Edited by born to run1083