golf course

They aint easy but they can be caught. You need a clever dog for golfys. A dog that can remember the lay out of the place, where the rabbits will be and where they will run to when the light goes on and uses that knowledge to good effect. You still wont get big bags on golfys but it can be bloody good fun.

Do you honestly believe that a Lurcher, (or any breed of dog, for that matter), can show that degree of intelligence.... Remembering the lay of the land, where the quarry will be and where it will run to ???? I despair at some of the things that are said on this site at times !

Cheers.

I like a lot of what you post, and agree with most of it, but recently you've been a bit of a miserable b*****d. No offence intended, just pointing it out.

The lad made a sensible enough point, day time or night time, if you work the same land enough, some dogs DO, start to learn the patterns, in what the quarry does, and you will see those dogs moving to cut off the quarry from where they know that it is fleeing to, rather than just running after it.

I used to go lamping golf courses with a lad and his half x collie / grey, by no means a fast dog, but the rabbits pretty much always ran from where they were sat out, to the same warrens in the rough margins, and rather than run to the rabbit, she would run a line, that would take her, to where the rabbit was going.

As for 'any dog' (other than lurchers), sheep dogs do it all the time.

It's memory, not some kind of ninja sixth sense.

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you honestly believe that a Lurcher, (or any breed of dog, for that matter), can show that degree of intelligence.... Remembering the lay of the land, where the quarry will be and where it will ru

You could say that of any place matey.........where does it end? Do I not run on a southern golf course?.........or in cumbria because of the odd boulder?.........or maybe I lay off in the Cotswolds

Turbo bunnys on them, show a good dog up most of the time

Well my saluki collie grey,,, was hoovering them up 3 weeks ago 1st night out of the season caught 7 out of 8 runs in about 20 mins was absolutely delighted and went for a strike on the 8th and got fkd by summit in the rough dont know what it was but it sent him flying thought he had broke his leg at first turns out just a sprain.. but only just starting to walk on it without hanging it up vet reckons 3 mts rest thats his season goosed. pleased am not relying on just 1 dog!!.. said dog is getting an hour in the pool every week split to 2 half hrs to help strengthen his wrist.hopefully he might get a few days ferreting feb time

Well my saluki collie grey,,, was hoovering them up 3 weeks ago 1st night out of the season caught 7 out of 8 runs in about 20 mins was absolutely delighted and went for a strike on the 8th and got fkd by summit in the rough dont know what it was but it sent him flying thought he had broke his leg at first turns out just a sprain.. but only just starting to walk on it without hanging it up vet reckons 3 mts rest thats his season goosed. pleased am not relying on just 1 dog!!.. said dog is getting an hour in the pool every week split to 2 half hrs to help strengthen his wrist.hopefully he might get a few days ferreting feb time

some dog there 7 out 8 runs on golf course and just missed the last

They aint easy but they can be caught. You need a clever dog for golfys. A dog that can remember the lay out of the place, where the rabbits will be and where they will run to when the light goes on and uses that knowledge to good effect. You still wont get big bags on golfys but it can be bloody good fun.

Do you honestly believe that a Lurcher, (or any breed of dog, for that matter), can show that degree of intelligence.... Remembering the lay of the land, where the quarry will be and where it will run to ???? I despair at some of the things that are said on this site at times !

Cheers.

I like a lot of what you post, and agree with most of it, but recently you've been a bit of a miserable b*****d. No offence intended, just pointing it out.

The lad made a sensible enough point, day time or night time, if you work the same land enough, some dogs DO, start to learn the patterns, in what the quarry does, and you will see those dogs moving to cut off the quarry from where they know that it is fleeing to, rather than just running after it.

I used to go lamping golf courses with a lad and his half x collie / grey, by no means a fast dog, but the rabbits pretty much always ran from where they were sat out, to the same warrens in the rough margins, and rather than run to the rabbit, she would run a line, that would take her, to where the rabbit was going.

As for 'any dog' (other than lurchers), sheep dogs do it all the time.

It's memory, not some kind of ninja sixth sense.

my 3/4 cross in the pic does the same. land he has worked in the past, and not just golf courses his strike rate is far superior to new land. the collie x , you either love em or you hate,,,,,, i just love seeing there brains kick in and this exceeds the need for pace and sometimes misalligned courage that can get them into troble. oh and by the way this just my opinion. happy days

some dog there 7 out 8 runs on golf course and just missed the last

I know got him back end of last season so didnt do much with him but was very impressed first 2 looked like a challenge but after that well couldnt beleive it for not being worked fit walked up to where he bent and couldnt see nowt but honestly looked like he had hit fkn fence or summit was quite worried thought he was a gonna!!! if this hadnt happened we could have easily had an hour or 2 there..his only real fault is hes an absolute cnt in the kennel whines and chews fk out everything yet in the house completely chilled. and no bother whatsoever so hes in here now.. which goes against everything and my other 2 dogs but hey ho!! :icon_redface::whistling: hes making a canny pair of slippers when i cant get out :thumbs:. unfortunately my pup has made too big i think and struggles to get down to bunnies but should manage bigger stuff easily i think.

ive got permission on a few little golf courses.. I lamp them to see where there going..and keep an eye on em for ferretting when the cover has died down a bit more.. Dont tend to catch many on there..just the odd unlucky one.. I saw a hare go across me the other day a dusk.. it wasnt just going fast..it was like the road runner bleep bleep.. i dont think i have ever seen a dog that would have stood a chance at catching that.

Cheers.

got 2 here that can :victory: work the land often enough, it sinks in

running a dog on a golf course with all the pot holes and hidden obsticles is just plain stupid,do you not value your dogs more,a disaster waiting to happen

You could say that of any place matey.........where does it end?

Do I not run on a southern golf course?.........or in cumbria because of the odd boulder?.........or maybe I lay off in the Cotswolds on that rocky sandstone that litters the fields.

Do you swerve the big open fields of the south because there has been no rain for months or its frozen?

Maybe I give it a miss on the edge of forestry blocks in case dog gets taken into the trees?

They are no more dangerous to graft a dog than anywhere else imho.

Back to the topic, I would say you have to use your noodle on golf courses......you wont be getting any big bags but you will get some running and some catches for your dog as long as you are not asking the impossible of the animal........its very easy to sicken a dog on those places too.

In reply to CPs comment, I have seen dogs that know where the quarry wants to get to and I am sure you have too matey, also if a dog is taken to a place regularly some will get to know the places it is most likely to get a run.......so I have to disagree with you on that one :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

Good topic , as i am still novice on running dogs some of the threads posted, i read i think god my dogs must be crap lol , we dont have golf courses , but we do have very short pony paddocks , and very fast rabbits , both dogs have had the odd rabbit from these fields but also a lot of misses , i much prefer the cattle fields , but i do walk the local ones in the day light if possible and any rabbit holes out in the field , i stick branches in them , i no you cant avoid all dangers but i do try and run them as safe as i can .

I have permission on 2 golf courses and walk on another and used to get a good/average number till they started thinning out due to me but i couldnt keep them under control as one is a pga course and they simply stated if i didnt do the job n get rid best i can they will let someone capable do it. I only lamped them so i could say bout day time on the course and my dog is a 27 inch bullx. I know ppl will doubt me but id b happy to put the proof in the puddin or cud even get baked up by a cple members on here.

Yes i do agree they go like shit but i take my dog a walk round another place that is all hills n my god u wont believe how fast those rabbits motor up/down and across them good test for any dog