Rottweiler x Greyhound

I was always wondering about this cross, has anyone ever heard anything or came across (seen work) this type of lurcher, but i thought a rottweiler x greyhound could work, with the gameness of the rottweiler pace and agility and drive of the greyhound and intellginece between the two could make a good working dog, whats your thoughts on this cross, any pictures or info please provide in this thread, no slanging match or piss taking!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once had a litter of this cross, or rather a Rottie to a lurcher. It was a long time ago, I knew of a good bitch that I would have loved to own, then i heard she was for sale and snapped her up. She

Depends who you know Dan mate But most of the bully lads have sense and say nothing

you ever worked\owned a rottweiler?

There's a bloke up my street with a Rotti x Grey, he took the last pup from a litter as a pet as apparently the breeder couldn't find any more working homes! This dog is nuts, full on dog aggression it does flips on the end of the leash, but it looks like it could bring down a shire horse but too heavy for most quarry I'd guess.

Just don't know why people try to reinvent the wheel.

What's a rotty x grey gonna do that a well bred bul x or deer x or alaunt x gonna do?

Rottys are awesome dogs in the own rights, as are dobermanns - ive got 2. But FFS they have no place in the lurcher world.

My doberman bitch is tenacious, she would course anything, she is agile, fast, Heart of a lion, good feet, she would tackle anything from a rat to a bull, she is obedient.

Would I bring her into the lurcher world? No! A) she isnt a worker and B) Because there are already lurchers out there that are faster, more heart, more agile, better feet, more obedient etc.

So why breed a litter that don't have the best chances of making out and out workers and risk ending up in a dogs home as mongrels?

Just my take on it. There are plenty of good lads on here with dogs that would make light work of anything you want this rotty x grey to do so I would be looking there.

All the best.

Gaz

• Like 1

I once had a litter of this cross, or rather a Rottie to a lurcher. It was a long time ago, I knew of a good bitch that I would have loved to own, then i heard she was for sale and snapped her up. She was as good as I thought but as the weeks went on she started banging on weight and slowing up, she was pregnant! I went back to the seller and was told the father was his other dog, good enough he was too, though very disappointed, I settled on having the litter.

When they were born, I knew sommat wasn't right. So back to the seller and, with some 'gentle persuasion' found out that the bitch had been lined by the nieghbours Rottie!!

They went in the Echo for £15 each (they were still well reared and I don't belive anything living should be 'given' to strangers) and I stated the cross, as I didn't want any combacks. I did consider keeping one beautiful racy looking bitch but hardend my heart and let her go. Most went to people who were looking for cheap guarding type dogs but two went to folk who wanted to take a chance and graft 'em so I asked for some feedback later.

Neither turned out worth a carrot, both ended up too heavy to gallop and though they did catch a rabbit or two both were 'very dodgy' around both dogs and people, one turned out to be an escapologist and would feck off to hunt but it wasn't too fussed on what it hunted, from bunnys to dogs with the odd horse thrown in, it settled on a chain as a guard and so did the other!

All in all i'd sum up and simply say... Don't fecking bother!!

There are enough decent dogs out there without these efforts! Rotties have been out there a long time, i'm sure someone would have tried them before and found, as I did, they are not worth a fecking carrot...!

;)

• Like 2

I once had a litter of this cross, or rather a Rottie to a lurcher. It was a long time ago, I knew of a good bitch that I would have loved to own, then i heard she was for sale and snapped her up. She was as good as I thought but as the weeks went on she started banging on weight and slowing up, she was pregnant! I went back to the seller and was told the father was his other dog, good enough he was too, though very disappointed, I settled on having the litter.

When they were born, I knew sommat wasn't right. So back to the seller and, with some 'gentle persuasion' found out that the bitch had been lined by the nieghbours Rottie!!

They went in the Echo for £15 each (they were still well reared and I don't belive anything living should be 'given' to strangers) and I stated the cross, as I didn't want any combacks. I did consider keeping one beautiful racy looking bitch but hardend my heart and let her go. Most went to people who were looking for cheap guarding type dogs but two went to folk who wanted to take a chance and graft 'em so I asked for some feedback later.

Neither turned out worth a carrot, both ended up too heavy to gallop and though they did catch a rabbit or two both were 'very dodgy' around both dogs and people, one turned out to be an escapologist and would feck off to hunt but it wasn't too fussed on what it hunted, from bunnys to dogs with the odd horse thrown in, it settled on a chain as a guard and so did the other!

All in all i'd sum up and simply say... Don't fecking bother!!

There are enough decent dogs out there without these efforts! Rotties have been out there a long time, i'm sure someone would have tried them before and found, as I did, they are not worth a fecking carrot...!

;)

But that is a rottie cross with a lurcher not a greyhound, greyhound having a lot more speed than your average lurcher so maybe they would of turned out racier if the rottie lined a greyhound? Still who is going to take this gamble and be landed with unsellable pups? an idiot.

If anyone wanted to do this they should cull all but one pup.

I do think that looking at some heavy bull crosses that work on less agile/fast quarry a rotty/grey could physically do the same job, mentally who knows?