Thinking about a R10 mk 2

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks for the reply raider! the shortening and blueprinting only cost an extra £190?! bloody hell thats pretty good especially when you consider it has a lifetime guarantee.

How long did all that work take?

mine took just over a week mate

Should there be problems with leaks etc these will be sorted as a matter of course. Incorrectly shortened barrels and major parts damaged beyond repair will be quoted for separately. The majority of the work in a Blueprint Tune is outside the scope of work that can be done in production. Over and above standard “tuning” many components are modified or replaced entirely. These changes have come about as a result of my developing modifications since the R10 was first designed which are not suitable for production but benefit the rifle considerably. The list of these improvements for the R10 grows almost daily so from 1/4/11 the cost of a Blueprint Tune on an R10 will be £125 +20% VAT + £22.50 net return Special Delivery post and packing. I am a Registered Firearms Dealer with the West Midlands Police so have no worries about the legality of my working on rifles sub or above (FAC) rifles .

Work involved:-

Barrel crowned and breech modified for better feed of pellets into the rifling.

Pellet probe modified for better feed.

Magazine slot bridging tray modified.

Oversize main holding down bolt for breechblock made and fitted giving greater rigidity.

Hammer tube honed, hammer modified and special synthetic spring guide made to fit the individual spring chosen for your rifle.

Exhaust valve seat recut.

Exhaust valve modified and different stem seal/bearing fitted in enlarged housing.

Low pressure secondary chamber dimensions altered.

Buddy bottle valve seat recut, valve modified and matched to individual rifle. “O” ring replaced with JB long life seal (used for the past 15 years on my S10s etc).

Regulator block modified internally.

Regulator internals modified and then balanced to the individual rifle so giving peak performance in terms of shot count and consistency making the rifle quieter to shoot in addition to getting the best accuracy out of the BSA hammer forged barrel. The anti tamper cap is fitted on the regulator after work is completed to avoid possible confiscation or worse should the rifle be tested by the authorities and the regulator pressure altered.

The sear surfaces in the trigger are honed, springs altered and sideplay in the trigger itself removed by fitting an oversize pivot pin. The linkage and magazine indexing system is modified to reduce the effect of drag on the underside of the hammer which causes variations in velocity. The latest self indexing magazines are a vast improvement in this regard and the old indexing system can then be dumped – praise be! The first system for magazine indexing fitted to the R10, which worked off the trigger rather than by the bolt via the hammer, is far superior and although it can take some getting used to causes less problems than the “improved” version. If at all possible then use the latest self indexing magazine.

The rifle is fitted into a slave stock and tested with a variety of pellets at 50 yards. These groups provide a good guide as to what works best in your rifle but be advised that pellets do vary from batch to batch and my eyesight has been better! I require the action only, no stock, but please include magazines and buddy bottle. Should you use a silencer that does not blend in with the shroud and wish that machined back please include it in the package.

Popular extras to the above Blueprint Tune. Must be carried out at the same time otherwise cost will alter:-

Barrel screwcut ½” UNF (or other thread of your choice) for silencer. £15 +20% VAT

Shroud shortened by approx. 4” from muzzle end and bush fitted so that the muzzle protrudes for fixing silencer £20 +20% VAT.

These two items are usually requested together.

Barrel shortened to 8” (.22”) and 10” .177” from breech end, backflow centring bush and special JB baffles fitted to shortened shroud to make it a reflex type silencer. The shroud/silencer then ends flush with the buddy bottle (.22”) or a couple of inches in front (.177”). The front of the shroud/silencer is fitted with a ½” UNF thread to take an additional silencer for those who require the “Sound of Silence”. The shroud/reflex silencer is permanently bonded up forming part of the barrel to avoid legal hassles. £90 + 20% VAT

Small but still effective silencers can be made from the cutoff shroud bringing the length back to the original but with vastly improved silencing properties. Can have a flush front or with a male ½” UNF thread. Both £40 + 20% VAT. These MUST be sent to your local RFD or collected face/face.

JB Big Ball bolt handle. This is a lathe turned ball made from the engineering plastic known as Delrin. Black in colour, 1.2” in diameter and with a band of knurling (checkering). This is threaded and bonded onto a machined factory bolt. £25 +20% VAT

A special, different design, regulator can be fitted into the regulator block of the R10 enabling more precise settings when “Blueprinting”. This give a far superior regulator performance but is not suitable for production. I can fit and set this for the “Ultimate” sub 12 ft/lbs rifle or for a specific requirement powerwise for an FAC version. Price on application.

All of this work and the services I offer are fully guaranteed even down to refunding postage charges in the unlikely event of something going wrong. This does not apply if the rifle has been tampered with in any way. I am always willing to give advice where possible on all matters BSA pcp from my S10 design to current. Just ask. There will be no hard sell. I am only interested in good BSAs being out there making owners happy and keeping the 150 year old BSA tradition of British gunmaking to the fore!

about 7 months ago · Report

Hi Tom,

Which ever rifle from your list of 2 you decide on you won’t be disappointed pal.

I own a .177 HW100S and a .22 r10 mark 1 and I love them both.

I have my favourite but its no big secret and if one was to have to go it would be the HW100S but don’t let that sway you in anyway as like I said they are both brilliant and will do the business on all UK legal airgun quarry at ranges that will far out stretch your or anyone I knows own shooting skills

My r10 mark 1 as been tuned and shortened and is very smooth to fire and accurate. What I can tell you from experience and first hand at that is that the new mark 2 comes out the box like a tuned rifle.

I’ve filmed it shooting groups way under a 5p diameter at 30 metres in a breeze as well and then been rabbit shooting with a lad using one from a jeep window hitting rabbits at without upsetting anyone on here at ranges that some would only attempt with a FAC air rifle or rim fire.

Why did he attempt these sorts of shot? Well because he practiced at them ranges extensively, new all is hold over points, there was no wind and he is a very good shot so for him it was a easy day at the office.

I’m not saying that everyone should do this though before I get hung in the open forum, just saying that the rifle is capable of this sort of accuracy if used in the right mans hands.

Barrel wise, its ok and a lovely length until you fit a silencer then it does seem to be very long. Getting the barrel shortened will cost you between £30 to £60 depending who you use.

When the barrel is shortened it also will need to get the anti tamper removed at the same time so the gunsmith doing it can up the power back to 11.5 foot pounds as the power drops due to having a shorter barrel (so im told, I just shoot them not play about with them).

What I have done to mine is I had a BSA Ultra barrel fitted with makes it a lovely carbine rifle even with a silencer fitted.

A Ultra barrel is around £40 and well worth it.

The photo shows a r10 mark 2 with a silencer fitted (that rifle has since been shortend), BSA scorpion SE and a AA S410

2 lads shooting, me in the middle filming and around 31 rabbits in 1 session between the 2 lads.

I did have about 4 or 5 shots but missed everyone in the early morning due to a mixture of poor shooting on my behalf, a dirty barrel that was making the rifle shoot very inconsistantly and terrible windage estimation from me so I just left it to the pro's and filmed them both.

Hope this helps

Si

post-2627-0-19412600-1319459026_thumb.jpg

Edited by zini

So this is another £300 plus on a new gun, makes the hw100 cheap!

i know, i originally thought the r10 would be the cheaper (if only slightly) option.

Thats for you post zini, love your vids on youtube mate.

Just out of interest whydo you prefer the r10 over the hw100?

So this is another £300 plus on a new gun, makes the hw100 cheap!

but then i suppose when youve had all the work done you got a gun thats capable of competing against the likes of daystate. then again you could always just go for an airwolf or something straight away. for a grand.

i got the airwolf 2wks ago tom and it's no more accurate than most pcp's.the only real difference is its all electrical so there is no effort in cocking it and the trigger is light as a feather.quite life less when you think about it.awesome gun's nether the less. :thumbs:

i had a r10 mk 1 and yes it was pleasing to the eye but i had a few problems with it and it was'nt for me so i changed to a daystate and love it the only problem is its a bit on the heavy side,but as for the hw100 i personally dont like the look of them but i have seen one shot and it was as good as my daystate allday

Tom,

You don’t need to pay an extra £300 mate with the new mark 2 r10.

If I was to get one I wouldn’t even bother with a silencer or getting it shortened now. The shroud does sound loud at the shooter end but it’s not super loud at the target end and 30 metres down range it’s just a putt of a muzzle crack you hear.

I like my r10 better as it was my first multi shot that I bought and I have had so many good memories with it when hunting.

Nothing more than that mate. Its no better than the HW100 S in regards to accuracy I just know its aim points very well and its like an extension of my own arm

Si

Tom21. All of the main contender PCP guns shoot with great accuracy, dont be missled in to thinking that Daystates are the most accurate air rifles you can buy because they arent, you will find plenty of Daystate owners who shoot like shit and get dispondent about their rifles when the kid next door with the 2nd hand PCP is outshooting them.

In the end it may come down to a price point, or the weight ( I have noodle arms and the HW100 was way heavy compared to an S410) or the looks or the amount of shots.

At the end of the day they are all extremely accurate, its the shooter who is the unknown element as well as the pellet you pick, the air charge, the wind, the distance, so many variables.

Me I have a S410 and I shoot it OK, it does what I want, and is light enough with a mod, scope and bipod on it.

Buy what takes your fancy if its a looks thing, but definately handle all the guns on your tick list and shoulder them, stand and hold them with your cheek on the stock for 20 seconds plus, as you might do if scoping a field for bunnies, yea your arms will get stronger but you might just want a lighter gun. Oh and rmember that if if feels a bit heavy think about what it will be like with a scope and moderator on it.

The only other variable is people wanting to have a full custom rifle, thats the same with rimfire and centrefire rifle owners. There are those who buy off the shelf rifles that do the job they are made for, then there are those who want something a bit different, maybe its an aftermarket bolt handle, or a regulator, right through to tuning to the point that all thats left is the original stock (unless the stock was shit in the 1st place!!). Its whatever rocks your boat.

My bit of advice to you is to buy what your heart wants, then if it was all good your happy, but if it seems you should have bought with your head then its a lesson well learned :)

Happy shooting.