Introducing moss to feather . .......................

Quick update . . . Moss has been struck by a serious case of "feather fever" since his debut on a shoot day ........... even the tiniest down feather spotted out on a walk is retrieved! He is constantly watching the sky and following birds in the air, its hysterical! He's obviously decided that feathered objects are now his life :D Couple more days picking up booked in for the coming weeks, the dogs obsessed. :icon_eek:

Handsome lad! Not bothered by the shots at all then? Pretty damn good!

No not really, he was a little spooked when i walked him along behind the line of guns, but by the end of the day he was not fazed at all. I had another day to photograph last Friday and took him with me, he was on a peg for every drive and never moved an inch ( on lead, just to be safe for the first time) . . . retrieved a few birds on each drive and was a little star. He has also in the 2 days worked out that how to mark the birds, he was watching intensley exactly where the birds fell, and every time he brought one back, he flew off again to get the next, all at 100 mph! lol There was a couple of times that he went to pick up a bird and there was another a couple of feet away, this confused him at first as he went from one to the other not knowing which one to choose . . . . i left him to it and he worked it out on his own, retrieved one and went back for the other.

I'm shocked to be honest that he's taken to it so easily and with such a limited education in terms of training. He was off lead most the day between drives on Friday as well, its like he just gets it, and seems to be completely relaxed and steady. Its still early days, but given his history and current performance i'm more than pleased with him. He will never be tidy enough for field trials, but thats my fault, i've no doubt he's capable of it and have been told as much by everyone thats met him .... I'm happy with having a dog that i can take out over the season and not be shown up. I'll work on the presenting etc and will tidy him up a bit, but the basics are seeming to come to him with ease at the moment. :victory: