Lynx hunting with hounds

Would be interesting to see a catch dog one one.

:no: no in my opinion it wouldn't be interesting. Those lynx take down reindeer and Roe deer, their main quarry. Their claws are massive. I'm sure a game dog could kill a lynx, but not after a long ordeal of being ripped to shreds, and it would probably die later from it's horrific injuries. This is why they use and bred baying hounds to hunt the lynx and bear in their country.

• Like 1

Would be interesting to see a catch dog one one.

:no: no in my opinion it wouldn't be interesting. Those lynx take down reindeer and Roe deer, their main quarry. Their claws are massive. I'm sure a game dog could kill a lynx, but not after a long ordeal of being ripped to shreds, and it would probably die later from it's horrific injuries. This is why they use and bred baying hounds to hunt the lynx and bear in their country.

what about dogo argentino's, american bulldogs (Painter lines), Rhodesian Ridgebacks etc? I read an account of a German Shepherd killing a Canadian Lynx after it tried ambushing it without to many scratches.

keep in mind that once the catch dog catches, the baying dogs will take hold as well. breeds that i KNOW have caught & killed american bobcats (smaller but WAY more aggressive than canadian lynx) one out: catahoula, blackmouth cur, english coonhound (53# dog killed a 42# cat and lived to catch more), plott, bluetick coonhound, treeing walker coonhound, running walker foxhound, american staghound, american coldblood greyhound, APBT, patterdale (in a hole), pitXpat (also in a hole). when i say one out the killing was done by one dog even though other dogs may have been involved in the chase.

i also know that currently hounds of various breeds have, as a pair or group, killed bobs & lynx and even mt lions. currently the argentine leoneros use dogos w/their hounds to catch & hold mt lion. historically Roosevelt did the same w/a white bulldog named Queenie (what we would call an american bulldog today).

A LOT will depend on technique of the dog and how much damge they do in the first bite. the other main factor will be how great the size difference is. some dogs never have good technique and will get torn up by a big feral housecat, while other dogs naturally use good technique & rarely get more than a scratch or two.

Edited by Pops

Good vid, you love a bit of video digging dont ya mate lol keep it up!!!

Just to add not only Painter line AB are tough, tbh the other performance lines have done more work wise, painter dogs were just in the box for a bit so got a rep!! I don't think many dogs no matter the breed could handle a big cat single

handed!!

as i've already stated several breeds have killed bobs. and a 30# bob WILL kick the crap out of a 40-50# canadian lynx. can't speak for the toughness of eurasian lynx. but any dog that can killa 30# bob by itself is sufficient to kill most canadian lynx.

Good vid, you love a bit of video digging dont ya mate lol keep it up!!!

Just to add not only Painter line AB are tough, tbh the other performance lines have done more work wise, painter dogs were just in the box for a bit so got a rep!! I don't think many dogs no matter the breed could handle a big cat single

handed!!

love my videos pal lol

I've seen a video from the 80's of a boerboel killing a female leopard one on one. The dog lost his eyesight as was nearly killed but lived to fight another day. :thumbs:

I like the hunting video. What I dont understand is this fascination some members have of watching other videos. Why would you want to watch a video of a dog being blinded by but eventually killing a leopard? And once you'd watch it why would you want to watch it again? Not after an arguement, its a genuine question?