working greyhound

has anybody had any success with getting a greyhound working and not having to many injuries, been offered 6 month old pup, its not ear marked so couldnt race it at the local track so was just woning if it woud be worth my while getting it working. alo do they work all quarry?

• 2 weeks later...

Crusty I have got 2 top working greyhounds here now, the 2 year old bitch (pic in my corner) broke a bone in her foot so she has been off for a few months but my 7 year old irish bred bitch is in a league of her own, I hate going out with out her as she is that good :victory: If you get that 6 month old pup believe me you won't be disappointed :thumbs:

There's no reason why a Greyhound, brought up from a pup to understand field work can't do the job well. The downsides are that a Greyhound is the Ferrari of the running dog world, their prey drive is usually through the roof, and they don't always pay attention to the type of ground they're running on. Greyhounds are bred for speed, whereas a 4x4 lurcher is slower but a damn sight tougher and if it has been generation bred for work in the field, should have some degree of self preservation and common sense when it comes to running game cross hill and dale.

Great speed and tunnel vision increases the risk of injury greatly. Though I knew a bloke who used a pure Greyhound in the field for years. She was sensible, tough, biddable and very good at finding her own hares and catching them. If I was going to use a pure Grey in the field I'd be looking for a lightly built, smaller type rather than the very big dogs which are too blindingly fast for their own good on anything bar the track. Coursing Greys have been bred even bigger than track dogs in the years running up to the ban: but bear in mind that they always ran driven hares on a particular field which would have been chosen for its suitability for very fast, big dogs: very different to running over all sorts of plough, stubble, moorland, woodland or whatever.

• Like 6

At that age and if you have got the time and space then yes I have lurcher1 grey here that I work and its his second season and he will tackle anything very bidable as well comes back after you lamp him just a real nice dog to have around really helped bring my bullx pup on but IM laid up with a broken leg now thanks to the pup lol his litter sister was excellent as well sadly died beginning of season real shame that also people forget how strong they are they don't need an 1 1/2 foot back to do a job lol

i had a pup off a lad thats on here got it at 6 weeks brought it on like a lurcher it wernt worth the time of day couldt take a lot of running maybe once a week if your lucky it was bred out of open class dogs see a bitch 20 years pure greyhound hares and rabbits for fun twice a week a few lads off her saw her run KIZZY :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

i got a greyhound bitch years back that was bout year old was the most nervous dog ever took my time with her and brought her round started mooching with her getting her used to me and recall aswell as stock broke and startd to lamp the bitch.in no time at all this dog was picking up quickly and was as good as any lurcher at her job she seen her first fox and coursed it.great course when she faced it she started barking bitch was 14 or 15 months and would not take it at all.after another month it was a really rainy winding nite and i came up on a fox on permison i had with her she was watching it for ages and it didnt catch sight of us at all until i was about 20 feet away she went on her back legs and was of put 2 turns and lifted it in style she was getting pressured by it but after a minute or 2 got the better of it and done her job.this bitch was a different dog after that and a really handy tool.i remember one nite me and a friend who was running a hancock bitch went slip for slip with my bitch retriving 28 live to hand and dispatching 2 fox on the way home all single handed.but unfortunatly was killed in a kennel fight some months after.was gutted

• 2 weeks later...

i got a greyhound bitch years back that was bout year old was the most nervous dog ever took my time with her and brought her round started mooching with her getting her used to me and recall aswell as stock broke and startd to lamp the bitch.in no time at all this dog was picking up quickly and was as good as any lurcher at her job she seen her first fox and coursed it.great course when she faced it she started barking bitch was 14 or 15 months and would not take it at all.after another month it was a really rainy winding nite and i came up on a fox on permison i had with her she was watching it for ages and it didnt catch sight of us at all until i was about 20 feet away she went on her back legs and was of put 2 turns and lifted it in style she was getting pressured by it but after a minute or 2 got the better of it and done her job.this bitch was a different dog after that and a really handy tool.i remember one nite me and a friend who was running a hancock bitch went slip for slip with my bitch retriving 28 live to hand and dispatching 2 fox on the way home all single handed.but unfortunatly was killed in a kennel fight some months after.was gutted

unlucky bud, sounds like you put the work in there aswell!

• 2 weeks later...