in the market for a new .22250

I am getting a new .22250 rifle in the near future and have roughly 650 quid to spend . Already spoke to dicehorn off here (thanks for the advice peter ;) ) but wondered what other peoples choices would be . I'm after a heavy/varmint barrel . Was originally looking at a howa 1500 with the thumbhole stock but with possible stock rigidity issues and not knowing anyone with one I am not set on one of these . Would be good to hear opinions /views . Thanks

I am getting a new .22250 rifle in the near future and have roughly 650 quid to spend . Already spoke to dicehorn off here (thanks for the advice peter ;) ) but wondered what other peoples choices would be . I'm after a heavy/varmint barrel . Was originally looking at a howa 1500 with the thumbhole stock but with possible stock rigidity issues and not knowing anyone with one I am not set on one of these . Would be good to hear opinions /views . Thanks

I have the laminated 1500 in stainless varmint. A bit heavy for walking about with but apart from that it is a cracking rifle, will shoot more accurately than I will, has a nice smooth bolt action and has accounted for plenty of foxes over the last couple of years :

06082009-1.jpg

Look, I'm a respectable shot with anything and a fraction better with a target tool.

I hear comments along these lines all the time, rigidity, not bedded, stock flexing...so what?

A badly suited round/gusting conditions/etc, will likely cause more problem than these isssues. It's a 22-250, does it matter if you can put them all in the same hole or have a 1" spread?

And consider a .243 and lighter V Max ammo, stonking calibre and ammo and so easy to shoot over a 22-250!

Try UK Custom shop they have a good selection and they have a sale on at the mo . I have had a fair few things from there over the years and they are ok give them a call 01905 797060. They do Howa ect and can get most makes might save you some wonga . Good luck with your choice 22-250 is a great round I have a sako 85 . You could always buy a used gun and think about a custom new tube later ?.

Have a look at the sportsman gun centre on web, they have a 22-250's for sale, raging from 300 - 700, mixture off rifles too, savage, howa, cz, winchester and remington. I'm looking to get as well but thinking along the remington line as heard good reports.

Hi:

I have had several 22.250's, my current rifle (2 years) is a Ruger No1 single shot, it's very accurate and nice to use.

The trigger is only 'alright' but that's compared to the decent factory bolt guns i've owned (Remmy VSSF and a Browning

Varmint with a Timney spring).

If you can live with the single shot thing (no problem for me) I'm sure it would be a good choice, a good one can be had for £500

>£650.

I reload, and I'm certain ammo is the key with hot centrefires, all my '250's shot well with 52Gr Sierra Matchkings on 37,5 Grs of

R15, I didn't have much luck with 'Varmint' bullets like Nosler Ballistic's or Hornady V-Max, but why I don't know?

But one thing is match bullets (non-expanding) don't take prisoners, and I've never had a runner using them. Andyf