New gadget for dogs' claws

This is aimed at anyone who has problems with over long claws and dogs which hate having their claws clipped! I've got some Saluki lurchers whose claws are very hard indeed, and even with plenty of road work and running on rough ground they grow long and very strong. Not a problem you might think, just clip them, but I've found that even the most expensive clippers can pinch the claw when you are clipping it. And I don't like to hurt my dogs, or have to truss them up like a turkey just to get their claws the right length. I've also found that as they get older, and maybe a bit arthritic in their joints, they get even more spooky about having their claws cut.

So I bought one of these: http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/2677/wahl-electric-nail-grinder

It arrived today: only ordered it yesterday! WHAT A GADGET!! Once the dog had got used to the faint buzzing noise (its not loud at all) I ground down four sets of over long, very hard claws on my 11 year old bitch, with no reaction from her at all. She has claws like iron, really hard. The grinding attachment just ate into the claws like butter. And all four feet were done in under 10 minutes, just sat beside her on her sofa LOL

It's not often I get all excited over gadgets these days, but this is one bit of kit that will definitely see a lot of use in my kennels. Even with over long claws, if you do the claws each week, the heat generated by the filing encourages the quick inside the claw to shrink back a bit each time. And all with no stress to the dog.

I love this gadget! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I tried the Dremel and found it rubbish compared to this. The Wahl one has been designed specifically for dog's claws: much quieter, less vibration and does it 10 times faster, and no, I'm not on commission LOL

But then, I've found that Saluki lurchers' claws are very hard: much harder than non Sal blooded dogs.

I got this one when they were a bit cheaper than they are now and its not like the standard dremel it doesn't whizz its tits off just a steady sanding of the nails

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-761-03-Cordless-Grooming-Rotary/dp/B0000C6DZ2

You don't need to be near a plug either.

My lurchers nails don't wear down properly no matter how much road work he gets so its used on him quite often safely back to the quick (which is quite long).

what do you guys do about black nails? when you carnt see were the wick is.

my saluki bitch has quite long nails and when i try to trim them even trimming just the tip they bleed like the wick is right to the end. she has the longest nails of any dog ive had and i like to try and keep them short but carnt with her.

If you look at the cut end of the claw, end on, you can see when you're close to the quick as the inside of the claw changes colour ever so slightly: a sort of greyish tinge. I've been playing a bit more with the Wahl grinder, and you can see how close you are to the quick even on dark nails, looking at the end of the claw: there's a little circle inside the hard bit which is the quick. Once you can see the dark bit inside the ground off white exterior, you are near the quick.

Grinding or filing the claws will help the quick to recede a bit as it retreats from the heat generated through filing/grinding: you need to do claws every week just a little at a time to get a result: this is what some old time Greyhound trainers recommended.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...