Electronic ear defenders "HELP"

I am looking into getting some electronic defenders but I haven't got a clue on which ones to go for, Ideally don't want to spend no more than £100 but could stretch a little more for the right pair. I've been hesitant to just go buy any pair as I want to be sure that I will be able to hear my dogs working in ditches/cover, any advice will be much appreciated.

I was looking at electronic defenders, but then I tried a pair of the Napier defenders. Search for Napier pro 9. They work with a baffle system, and several chambers, and you can hear normal sounds whilst loud noises are reduced to a safe and comfortable level. I love mine now, wouldn't be without them(well, except they're so small and light I keep misplacing them, must tie a piece of string to them or something)

I'm not anything to do with them, just found them really good and a heck of a lot cheaper than the electronic muffs.

The first bit of advice I'd give is to make sure to try before you buy. The problem with ear defenders is comfort whilst being worn. I've tried all sorts and the best so far are my Peltor Tactical 6-S.

Couple of points to keep in mind.

1) Keep in mind the size, got to fit in the pocket.

2) Keep in mind that you need to mount a gun, so it's no good if the ear cups are massive.

3) Cheap is cheap for a reason, your hearing is priceless, your PPE should reflect this.

One last point, "in the ear" type defenders WILL NOT PROTECT YOUR HEARING WHILST FIRING A GUN. Damage to your hearing caused by shooting is done in two ways, directly through your ear canal and through the bones at the back of your ear. In ear defenders or the type which only block the ear canal will help with loud bangs but will not protect the fragile bones in your ears, over the head "cup" type ear defenders are needed and if you are going to be shooting a lot, then it is even sensible to use both at the same time.

John

Edited by HUnter_zero

Hunter, with regards to in ear against "muff" type defenders, all of my rifles are moderated, so the ear defenders are "belt and braces" and the Napier in ears are very good at cutting out the ring from the .243. I'd definitely recommend a good moderator over ear defenders, especially for stalking/hunting. Ear defenders are bulky, easy to forget and can be a pain in the bum when you need to take a quick shot, and I'm sure most people have forgotten to put them on before a shot, with the resultant momentary deafness and ringing in the ears that signify damage to the hearing.

Of course if you are mainly shooting shotgun then they are essential, and they are a good idea for range use even with a moderator, but for hunting with rifles a good moderator (though more expensive) is far more useful than ear defenders.

Hunter, with regards to in ear against "muff" type defenders, all of my rifles are moderated

My comment was not aimed at you but a generalisation, but never the less if you think "muff" type defenders are a pain, try going deaf. Obviously if you are using a sound moderator you are at much less risk of hearing damage and adjusting your PPE to suit is an obvious and logical response. I have a set of Napier pro 9 here but found them to be a pain as the head band seems to part with the side bit, but I do use my kit hard and as such this might be a user fault. I use a lot of different hearing protectors in my line of work, "in ear" protectors seem to be the normal issue with regards to H&S at work, however rifle/shotgun reports are a different matter, being more intense with more powerful shock waves than most industrial machinery I encounter, sound moderators aside of course. I tend not to use hearing protection whilst stalking, I know I should but I don't. Two of my long term shooting friends have hearing damage due to shooting, one is all but deaf and the other has tinnitus (sp?).

I had always thought I had 'got-away' with it, but recently I was reloading some .308, for some reason I had thought I didn't charge one case, so I shook it next to my right ear and couldn't hear a thing, however in my left ear I could clearly hear the powder. This is due to only waring "in-ear" hearing protectors whilst shooting, I was told that the shock wave from the rifle discharging had transferred to my right hand ear because it was closest to the 'gun'. I always ware hearing protectors whenever I think I will shoot more than one shot, yes I know that's not what I should do and if I think I will be shooting for some time, I use sonic "in-ear" and Peltor "Muffs".

John

Edited by HUnter_zero

If you can't find cheap Peltor ComTacs on ebay then buy some of these...

http://www.opticswar...sportac&cat=304

You'll love them especially when you hear low level noise like your dog working or birds flying towards you amplified.

Hope this helps

Mike

Yup the same ones that I use. I load on average 3 days a week on Commercial shoots and with an average of 350 shots per day, my ears are subject to a lot of sudden bangs. The ones that Mike has recommended (Sportac) are the choice of most loaders on the Exmoor shoots.

Hunter Zero is quite correct about the bones behind the ear - something that I have mentioned in the past on this forum - I have shooting friends that now need to put their mobiles on vibrate as they can no longer hear them ringing - once your hearing is gone - its gone.

Peter

Edited by dicehorn
  • 3 weeks later...

Ive been a panelbeater for 40years and now have tinatus,,, no matter what i wear to shoot any c/f starts my bells ringing,,, c/f plus good moderater and no ear protection ,,,, no bells ,,,,,,,,, for me the mods have it, but some plugs can only help,,, most of my problems come from the gun next to me not my own ( trap shooting, or standing the line)