Rabbit Stroganoff in Cider

Now the winter evenings are drawing in (hooray, time to go lamping!), here's a hearty rabbit receipe.

Ingredients:

• Cubed Back Leg and Saddle meat from 2 Adult Rabbits (I take the sinew off mine but it's not essential for this receipe).
  • 1 Can Dry Cider.
  • 1/2 Pint Stock (preferably Rabbit but you can use chicken, water or another can of cider).
  • 2 Medium Onions.
  • 2 Cloves Garlic.
  • 1 Small Red Pepper.
  • 1 Small Red Chilli.
  • 1 Teaspoon English Mustard (or Dijon).
  • 2 Tablespoons Tomato Puree.
  • 1 Tablespoon Paprika.
  • Dollop of Butter.
  • Splash of Double Cream or Creme Fraiche.

Heat up a pan with a little oil (I use Rapeseed but Olive is fine too), and roughly chop the onions and garlic, gently fry the onions and garlic until soft and translucent. Add the chilli and pepper and gently fry for another couple of minutes.

Remove the onions, garlic and peppers to a bowl and add a dash more oil to the pan. Bring up the heat, then seal the rabbit meat, just before the rabbit is sealed on all sides add a large dollop of butter (be generous). As soon as the butter has melted, using a slotted spoon remove the meat and set to one side.

You should have a nice amount of buttery juice left in the pan, reduce the heat and add half the can of cider. Use this liquid to make up the bulk of your sauce. Add the mustard, paprika and tomato puree. Stir until it's smooth and leave to cool.

Put the rabbit, onions, peppers and garlic into the slow cooker and add the stock and a little salt and lots of black pepper. Finally add the sauce from the pan (using the remaining cider to rinse out the pan so you don't leave any behind). Give it a quick stir and put the slow cooker on Low, go to work...

On your return, using a slotted spoon, remove all the meat and veg from the sauce and set to one side. Put the sauce into a large saucepan and bring up to a simmer. If you have the time, leave this to reduce. If not, add a little cornflour (mixed with water) to thicken. The sauce should be a little thicker than you want it.

Now put everything back into the saucepan and stir through a little Double cream or Cream Fraiche and serve.

I usually do it with just some plain Basmati rice and maybe some steamed green beans from the garden.... and a bottle of Red Wine. :good:

Now the winter evenings are drawing in (hooray, time to go lamping!), here's a hearty rabbit receipe.

Ingredients:

• Cubed Back Leg and Saddle meat from 2 Adult Rabbits (I take the sinew off mine but it's not essential for this receipe).
  • 1 Can Dry Cider.
  • 1/2 Pint Stock (preferably Rabbit but you can use chicken, water or another can of cider).
  • 2 Medium Onions.
  • 2 Cloves Garlic.
  • 1 Small Red Pepper.
  • 1 Small Red Chilli.
  • 1 Teaspoon English Mustard (or Dijon).
  • 2 Tablespoons Tomato Puree.
  • 1 Tablespoon Paprika.
  • Dollop of Butter.
  • Splash of Double Cream or Creme Fraiche.

Heat up a pan with a little oil (I use Rapeseed but Olive is fine too), and roughly chop the onions and garlic, gently fry the onions and garlic until soft and translucent. Add the chilli and pepper and gently fry for another couple of minutes.

Remove the onions, garlic and peppers to a bowl and add a dash more oil to the pan. Bring up the heat, then seal the rabbit meat, just before the rabbit is sealed on all sides add a large dollop of butter (be generous). As soon as the butter has melted, using a slotted spoon remove the meat and set to one side.

You should have a nice amount of buttery juice left in the pan, reduce the heat and add half the can of cider. Use this liquid to make up the bulk of your sauce. Add the mustard, paprika and tomato puree. Stir until it's smooth and leave to cool.

Put the rabbit, onions, peppers and garlic into the slow cooker and add the stock and a little salt and lots of black pepper. Finally add the sauce from the pan (using the remaining cider to rinse out the pan so you don't leave any behind). Give it a quick stir and put the slow cooker on Low, go to work...

On your return, using a slotted spoon, remove all the meat and veg from the sauce and set to one side. Put the sauce into a large saucepan and bring up to a simmer. If you have the time, leave this to reduce. If not, add a little cornflour (mixed with water) to thicken. The sauce should be a little thicker than you want it.

Now put everything back into the saucepan and stir through a little Double cream or Cream Fraiche and serve.

I usually do it with just some plain Basmati rice and maybe some steamed green beans from the garden.... and a bottle of Red Wine. :good:

Sounds good that one :thumbs: