DEERHOUND X GREYHOUND PUPS 10MONTH

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HERE ARE MY 2 COOKLAND BRED 1ST X DEERHOUND GREYHOUND PUPS, MY DOG IS 29INCHS HIGH MY BITCH IS 27. BOTH SHOWING GREAT POTENTIAL IN THE FIELD.

Still good working DH's around 15 month full bitch I bred myself (held by my 2 yr old son) some sight to see her move over the heather

Not always,this is a site for open debate and discussion.Nearly all the posts on this thread enthused about the pups.Many know im a massive fan of Deerhoundy lurchers and id not wish prospective Deerh

Posted Images

My reply was tongue in cheek as they'd be about 6 year old now

I know, was just making a point in general really. After morton's negative post :thumbs: .

I think the pair of those pups have probably turned out pretty decent, especially the bitch, but I will agree with morton about her left hind foot, it did look a bit flat lol, might've been just the way she was stood though. Pics are not the best resource of checking something out properly lol :thumbs:

I know, was just making a point in general really. After morton's negative post :thumbs: .

I think the pair of those pups have probably turned out pretty decent, especially the bitch, but I will agree with morton about her left hind foot, it did look a bit flat lol, might've been just the way she was stood though. Pics are not the best resource of checking something out properly lol :thumbs:

would be nice to hear how they came on now and how they look,as young dogs never do a cross any credit
  • Like 2

Those pictures were shot from silly angles too. if you want to judge conformation from a photo it needs to be shot from the dogs shoulder level, not from a standing position as those were, and the dog should be stood naturally. The photographer should be well back and at right angles to the dogs side with maybe one shot from in front. The front shot especially needs to be taken from 20 ft or so or the head will look way too big for the body. The pictures can then be re-framed so the dog fills the frame.

It always amazes me when people advertise a dog for sale and post a dark dingy picture that makes it look like a football headed dachshund stood in a yard full of dogshit.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 3

would be nice to hear how they came on now and how they look,as young dogs never do a cross any credit

I doubt if we'll hear about them as the lad's account's gone dormant from lack of use so unless he's here in a different name we'll never know.

Those pictures were shot from silly angles too. if you want to judge conformation from a photo it needs to be shot from the dogs shoulder level, not from a standing position as those were, and the dog should be stood naturally. The photographer should be well back and at right angles to the dogs side with maybe one shot from in front. The front shot especially needs to be taken from 20 ft or so or the head will look way too big for the body. The pictures can then be re-framed so the dog fills the frame.

It always amazes me when people advertise a dog for sale and post a dark dingy picture that makes it look like a football headed dachshund stood in a yard full of dogshit.

I doubt if we'll hear about them as the lad's account's gone dormant from lack of use so unless he's here in a different name we'll never know.

They are both the points I was making, not many running dogs look even half tidy at 10 months, especially some of the larger framed types, and 95% of pics taken of them will make them look worse than what they actually are. And yeah it would be interesting to see how they turned out :thumbs:

Deerhound xs greys are what they are and lots better with the influence of another breed whippets ,usually give whippet size bitches and the dogs slightly taller. Collie grey deerhound greys or touch a beddy were popular for the xes to be more versatile the second generation half can go either ways deerhound or grey and seen damn nigh deerhound and also grey type from same nest in second generation ,use the deerhound for what it his a good base for a classy looking type with versatility if that's what one likes those deerhound greys are what they are I have seen doxehopes types when bill and his farther bred them we had one in the family ok ,but was improved with a touch of another breed ,sorisdale deerhound greyhounds broke up where I run feet just could not take the hammering of the ground..atb bunnys

I still have mine now coming up 6 in nov shes been great over the yrs ,a few injuries which we all have wire, toes, etc , shes had a far bit of game n feather still does it for me

bit of a wind up merchant been stand off ish n totally defiant usually thru the day only but when in the field lamping cant fault her ,, just lack of bunnies around here hasn't con vinced me she can run all night ,shes lasted don't get me wrong but I prefer long rabbitting nights not 4 to 10 long slips for example

personally id have another but has to be like her 27 ish tts and racey ,she very nimble for a biggish bitch

• Like 1

Deerhound xs greys are what they are and lots better with the influence of another breed whippets ,usually give whippet size bitches and the dogs slightly taller. Collie grey deerhound greys or touch a beddy were popular for the xes to be more versatile the second generation half can go either ways deerhound or grey and seen damn nigh deerhound and also grey type from same nest in second generation ,use the deerhound for what it his a good base for a classy looking type with versatility if that's what one likes those deerhound greys are what they are I have seen doxehopes types when bill and his farther bred them we had one in the family ok ,but was improved with a touch of another breed ,sorisdale deerhound greyhounds broke up where I run feet just could not take the hammering of the ground..atb bunnys

many of us had deer/grey cross collie/grey in the 80s, almost the standard lurcher of its time, and most made reasonable all rounders. not sure how many were genuine, as there would have needed to be a hell of a lot of coursing deerhounds at stud lol.

google sorisdale deerhounds, now i know it is difficult to judge conformation from photos, but some of those dogs look more like camels or donkeys than deerhounds, and certainly none have what we would look for in a working hound. seem to be big heavy cloddy things too, and excessive weight added to poor feet would certainly explain why the crosses youve seen had such problems

many of us had deer/grey cross collie/grey in the 80s, almost the standard lurcher of its time, and most made reasonable all rounders. not sure how many were genuine, as there would have needed to be a hell of a lot of coursing deerhounds at stud lol.

google sorisdale deerhounds, now i know it is difficult to judge conformation from photos, but some of those dogs look more like camels or donkeys than deerhounds, and certainly none have what we would look for in a working hound. seem to be big heavy cloddy things too, and excessive weight added to poor feet would certainly explain why the crosses youve seen had such problems

Never heard of the Sorisdale deerhounds before, going on your description it sounds like they've had irish wolfhound blood introduced into them as some have, wonder if an outcross to a strong marathon greyhound could bring some restoration to a struggling breed, or if anybody even gives a f**k
  • Like 1

Never heard of the Sorisdale deerhounds before, going on your description it sounds like they've had irish wolfhound blood introduced into them as some have, wonder if an outcross to a strong marathon greyhound could bring some restoration to a struggling breed, or if anybody even gives a f**k

I just googled sorisdale deerhounds, and the first thing that came up was a dog called sorisdale maclugash, archie. Looks like it could have a touch of saluki in it judging from the pic of him head on lol. A fair few pics of different lines of deerhound came up, and like you say, many of them looked too big, and untypical of proper working bred deerhounds, and some you would have to say definitely looked more wolfhound than deerhound, and many of them had far too much coat as well. Not looking good really on the whole.

And I agree with you lpd, an outcross to a good distance/marathon greyhound is what I think most lines of deerhounds would definitely benefit from. Be a shame to see this breed degenerate any further.

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1

now conformation wise, that is a much better specimen; she looks as though she can run. what lines is she from?

as for crossing the show stuff with greyhounds, what is the point? a low grade rough coated lurcher type at best. there are plenty of very good rough coated lurchers about already. leave the show stuff in the ring where it belongs and concentrate on finding the last remaining working deerhounds