BSA Tatcical XI ?

Hey Tom,

I'm not familiar with that particular gun, however most can be modified; not so much by a better spring, but by polishing the sears, stripping, degreasing and relubing.

Non of which will produce more power of course (or if it does it will be negligable) but it will provide consistancy once you master the hold and make the gun smoother and more reliable to use :)

Tony

• Like 1

Unless it's the Older BSA Springers that were made in Birmingham don't bother as their now made in Spain and their not as good as the UK counterpart, You'd be better off

with a HW or Airarms Both Quality Brands.

regards Daz :ninja:

Oke,

here we go...

The BSA's are very good and I have more than 10 of them but indeed they need as ALL weapons a good tune and lubing. I tune already years, shoot international competitions, hunt on middle size game with airguns In Poland, (every 4 -6 years in S. Africa etc...

The 12 ftp is not heavy for a spring gun but it is not allowed to have a more powerfull weapon in the UK without a FAC license.

Polishing he triggergroup is 1 think you can do and also degrease everything and grease again with the wright oils and greasses...

But when you are NOT familliar with that please let it done by a good RFD in the UK otherwise you are gonna damage the weapon more then that there good for is.

I have one rule: When it works stay off it.

AA weapons are not better then other weapons in my eyes.... it all depence the price you wanna spend.

All brands have there problems etc... The XL is made for hunting so they don't need a very fine triggergroup. It is NOT a competitionweapon. Hunting with a comp weapon wich have normaly NOT a safety is stupid in my eyes....

I also have several weapons who are just for hunting and they al do shoot very well within there price class.

HW (pcp 100) I repaired already dozens of them (all FAC because that's what we have and nothing else) and they know with HW that they have a seriously leaking problem.

On the IWA in Germany (only for professionals and RFD's and int nat sportingshooters) they told me that personaly too. Still: the HW is a good weapon after a complete dismantle and rebuilt and putting the wright seals and greases.

It's is NOT my favorite weapon but I have also one for hunting on small game...

It is in my world of shooting NOT yet a competitionweapon... It's impossible for that price and most of them are custommade and handmade for the shooter and the shooter can do it also himself once you have reached that level.

To make it short: In my eyes there are NO such things as bad weapons but only bad shooters. In each price class are good weapons but also bad shooters.

Because the BSA is now made in Spain (the barrels are still made in Birmingham) I want to know what is more bad then when they where made in the UK?

There is NO difference technicaly at all.

Gamo makes his own weapons and also for BSA according the BSA and how JB hase created them. Gamo is the biggest air gun factory in the world and there QC is unbelievable believe me...

I don't like there own springers etc (again: for there price they are good) but will never buy one myself....

For the price is the XL extremely good and for his purpose also.

ps; I do not have stocks in BSA or a other weaponbrand.... :yes:

A weapon you choose by your self. You like it or you hate it... Balance, looks, power etc... are for everyone different....

Good luck with the search mate.

• Like 1

For the price of a new Gamo Lightning XL which is poorly built and has a crap trigger you could get yourself a properly made HW95 with a top class trigger.

I'd agree that any new springer will benefit from a little TLC, as stated above, but to say that a sporting gun doesn't need a good trigger is daft.

No offense intended :thumbs:

For the price of a new Gamo Lightning XL which is poorly built and has a crap trigger you could get yourself a properly made HW95 with a top class trigger.

I'd agree that any new springer will benefit from a little TLC, as stated above, but to say that a sporting gun doesn't need a good trigger is daft.

No offense intended :thumbs:

I don't say that a hunting rifle need a BAD trigger... You can polish them but it's no need to have a competition trigger like (example) a Anshütz triggergroup....... It's impossible for the price.... How better the trigger is how more smooth the weapon will shoots. That's a fact but it's simply impossible in a price class from lets say 400 £ or so...

Indeed the HW is a lot better build than the BSA - Gamo... and also that weapon kept his value in second hand.

The barrel is also (normaly) a bid better then the BSA barrel....

grtz

:boogy:

for all its worth i've actually had a bsa xl and it was and always will be a cheap rifle,but mine was sent to tony wall at sandwell fieldsports and it improved greatly but it still wouldnt match a hw77 or a tx200 both of which i have also owned :whistling: so if you ask me save up a bit more and get a air arms or a hw they will at least have a decent trigger unit that you can adjust if need be ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Tom, I'm not familiar with that particular gun, however most can be modified; not so much by a better spring, but by polishing the sears, stripping, degreasing and relubing. Non of which will produce more power of course (or if it does it will be negligable) but it will provide consistancy once you master the hold and make the gun smoother and more reliable to use :) Tony

Thanks Phantom, as a newbie to the air rifle world, it all helps.

Thanks, ATB, Tom

Oke, here we go... The BSA's are very good and I have more than 10 of them but indeed they need as ALL weapons a good tune and lubing. I tune already years, shoot international competitions, hunt on middle size game with airguns In Poland, (every 4 -6 years in S. Africa etc... The 12 ftp is not heavy for a spring gun but it is not allowed to have a more powerfull weapon in the UK without a FAC license. Polishing he triggergroup is 1 think you can do and also degrease everything and grease again with the wright oils and greasses... But when you are NOT familliar with that please let it done by a good RFD in the UK otherwise you are gonna damage the weapon more then that there good for is. I have one rule: When it works stay off it. AA weapons are not better then other weapons in my eyes.... it all depence the price you wanna spend. All brands have there problems etc... The XL is made for hunting so they don't need a very fine triggergroup. It is NOT a competitionweapon. Hunting with a comp weapon wich have normaly NOT a safety is stupid in my eyes.... I also have several weapons who are just for hunting and they al do shoot very well within there price class. HW (pcp 100) I repaired already dozens of them (all FAC because that's what we have and nothing else) and they know with HW that they have a seriously leaking problem. On the IWA in Germany (only for professionals and RFD's and int nat sportingshooters) they told me that personaly too. Still: the HW is a good weapon after a complete dismantle and rebuilt and putting the wright seals and greases. It's is NOT my favorite weapon but I have also one for hunting on small game... It is in my world of shooting NOT yet a competitionweapon... It's impossible for that price and most of them are custommade and handmade for the shooter and the shooter can do it also himself once you have reached that level. To make it short: In my eyes there are NO such things as bad weapons but only bad shooters. In each price class are good weapons but also bad shooters. Because the BSA is now made in Spain (the barrels are still made in Birmingham) I want to know what is more bad then when they where made in the UK? There is NO difference technicaly at all. Gamo makes his own weapons and also for BSA according the BSA and how JB hase created them. Gamo is the biggest air gun factory in the world and there QC is unbelievable believe me... I don't like there own springers etc (again: for there price they are good) but will never buy one myself.... For the price is the XL extremely good and for his purpose also. ps; I do not have stocks in BSA or a other weaponbrand.... :yes: A weapon you choose by your self. You like it or you hate it... Balance, looks, power etc... are for everyone different.... Good luck with the search mate.

Wow, thanks Bmwmotard for taking the time to respond in such depth, I will refer time and again to this post. You certainly know your stuff.

Thanks, all the best for now. Tom

• Like 1
Oke, here we go... The BSA's are very good and I have more than 10 of them but indeed they need as ALL weapons a good tune and lubing. I tune already years, shoot international competitions, hunt on middle size game with airguns In Poland, (every 4 -6 years in S. Africa etc... The 12 ftp is not heavy for a spring gun but it is not allowed to have a more powerfull weapon in the UK without a FAC license. Polishing he triggergroup is 1 think you can do and also degrease everything and grease again with the wright oils and greasses... But when you are NOT familliar with that please let it done by a good RFD in the UK otherwise you are gonna damage the weapon more then that there good for is. I have one rule: When it works stay off it. AA weapons are not better then other weapons in my eyes.... it all depence the price you wanna spend. All brands have there problems etc... The XL is made for hunting so they don't need a very fine triggergroup. It is NOT a competitionweapon. Hunting with a comp weapon wich have normaly NOT a safety is stupid in my eyes.... I also have several weapons who are just for hunting and they al do shoot very well within there price class. HW (pcp 100) I repaired already dozens of them (all FAC because that's what we have and nothing else) and they know with HW that they have a seriously leaking problem. On the IWA in Germany (only for professionals and RFD's and int nat sportingshooters) they told me that personaly too. Still: the HW is a good weapon after a complete dismantle and rebuilt and putting the wright seals and greases. It's is NOT my favorite weapon but I have also one for hunting on small game... It is in my world of shooting NOT yet a competitionweapon... It's impossible for that price and most of them are custommade and handmade for the shooter and the shooter can do it also himself once you have reached that level. To make it short: In my eyes there are NO such things as bad weapons but only bad shooters. In each price class are good weapons but also bad shooters. Because the BSA is now made in Spain (the barrels are still made in Birmingham) I want to know what is more bad then when they where made in the UK? There is NO difference technicaly at all. Gamo makes his own weapons and also for BSA according the BSA and how JB hase created them. Gamo is the biggest air gun factory in the world and there QC is unbelievable believe me... I don't like there own springers etc (again: for there price they are good) but will never buy one myself.... For the price is the XL extremely good and for his purpose also. ps; I do not have stocks in BSA or a other weaponbrand.... :yes: A weapon you choose by your self. You like it or you hate it... Balance, looks, power etc... are for everyone different.... Good luck with the search mate.

Wow, thanks Bmwmotard for taking the time to respond in such depth, I will refer time and again to this post. You certainly know your stuff.

Thanks, all the best for now. Tom

You are welcome mate...

hi bud iv got the bsa xl tactical 22 new from my local gun shop for my son and even then it had such a twangy noise from it just thought that was the way it was until i got hold of another one and fired it no twang sent my sons back to the shop and they sorted it no loob what so ever and that was strait from the factory got it back and it was mint a good gun for some one thats just starting out but like the other lads have said go for a hw there top class guns and belter triggers tx200 are up there with the hw but for some one just starting out may be to heavy for them the same go,s for the hw97k hw97kt they olso have some whait be hind them plenty of second hand hw,s on the net for sale some of them prity cheep to hope this helps atb mac