Young rats in a Fenn?

Hello,

I've got an orchard with several chicken pens in, and some rats. I've been trying to trap them with two mk6 Springers in separate run-through tunnels. I've placed the tunnels over rat runs and bait them with pig pellets, the trigger plates I smear with peanut butter. While I've successfully caught larger rats there are also young part-grown rats which I believe have started robbing the traps without triggering them. I've read on here that you can put peanut butter under the triggers to make it more likely for the traps to go off but it doesn't seem to be working. I am spending time on each trap trying to set it as finely as possible by carefully depressing the plate to just before the trigger point, but I am still not catching.

Are there any other tips for making a young rat more likely to trigger the trap?

Are there any other tips for making a Springer more sensitive?

Would 'Bodygrip' traps be more likely to catch young rats than a Springer?

Is there a difference in sensitivity between Mk6 and MK4?

I trap half grown rats no bother with mk4's, I never bait them though. Try not baiting them and just put the tunnel between their warren and the food source, ie the chickens. This way they might put their whole weight on the trap as they run over it, and not just lick the bait off?

Thanks for your reply. That is where the traps are. I had seen young rats using the tunnels as cover when moving about without triggering the trap, which was when I started using the peanut butter.

this has been good info for me. im new to trapping. got some mk4s been putting peanut butter on mine. caught a few but had quite a few go off with nothing caught. having a bit of a rat problem myself on the chicken allotment we have.so i will take the advice above and give it a go. :thumbs:

I put them flush to the ground In the outside tunnels where the earth is softer and not baited, but inside the buildings where it has wooden floors I just pop them in a tunel with I small pile of layers pellets in the middle,had over 90 rats this summer with many being young ones I use the mk4 fens they are sensitive enough for the youngsters sometimes if two were nibbleing on the ones with bait I would octet get s double catch in one trap.

87b287e4.jpg

A couple of larger ones

fb7812b0.jpg

77daffc7.jpg

I'm going to jump on this thread apologies beforehand how many on average do you catch in a year,I had a bad one last year I would hate to know how much they contributed to my feed bill,hope You get the young ones cleared soon, I skso have a pressing issue at the moment,read my posts in centrefire etc im still needing your lots input till it's resolved,

Atb 223

<Quote>

I put them flush to the ground In the outside tunnels where the earth is softer and not baited, but inside the buildings where it has wooden floors I just pop them in a tunnel with I small pile of layers pellets in the middle,had over 90 rats this summer with many being young ones I use the mk4 fens they are sensitive enough for the youngsters sometimes if two were nibbling on the ones with bait I would octet get s double catch in one trap.

<Quote>

I've now tried bedding the traps into the ground, and been rewarded with young rats. :yes: