Artificial Rabbit Warren

Hey my names Markus, I'm 21 and live at a 16 acre farm in Manchester England.

I have a small digger coming up next week and while its here i was thinking of creating an artificial rabbit warren for the mental stimulation and training of ferret kits.

I have 2 questions really.

Firstly, Do you think i would benefit from an artificial warren to train my ferrets?

It would give me all the space and time i want but who's to say it will really make a difference in the skill of my ferrets in the long run?

Is it a project worth trying out?

Secondly, if so, Do any of you know of any information on the internet to create an artificial warren? I'm looking everywhere but cant seem to find any good information, But im sure ive seen them being built on some nature program before.

Sorry if it seems like a silly idea. I just seem to have so much time on my hands lately and could really do with a good project to work on. Thanks.

no i dont think you would benefit from an artificial warren to train your ferrets,seems a lot of work when you could just start working them like everyone else overcoming problems as you find them as they not all cut and dry as some may think,varying depths obstacles etc, and secondly only time i have seen an enclosed/artificial warren like you describe was for steadying gun dogs whilst training :thumbs:

Edited by watchman

Nope to much work and what happens if a kit wont come out your going to need to dig it up , And im sure you could use the space better . Far better to just line a few bits of pipe on top of the ground and use that a ferret doesn't come out you just lift one end of the pipe up and you have your ferret . In the end its up to you but for something your only going to use once a year it wouldn't be me

You live on a 16 acre farm... surely there is natural rabbit warrens around.. why spend the time doing something the rabbits have done allready... for excorsize when your not around, and to get kits used to different things.... pipes.. ropes.. rocks..logs..trays filled with water and a big rock in the middle so they dont tip it.. and each other will keep them busy

Nope to much work and what happens if a kit wont come out your going to need to dig it up , And im sure you could use the space better . Far better to just line a few bits of pipe on top of the ground and use that a ferret doesn't come out you just lift one end of the pipe up and you have your ferret . In the end its up to you but for something your only going to use once a year it wouldn't be me

I may just take this advice, maybe buy a load of tubing and set it up on the horse arena.

My son made then out of drainage pipe and gutter junctions it looked like a bloody maze ,but it is used only for getting the young ferrets used to entering and leaving a burrow and taking time and doing it slowly in the garden builds up confidence in the kit .that would never happen in the field