best all round lurcher?

1 hour ago, trigger2 said:

I agree. The last 3 dogs I’ve had have been out lamping with me from pups watching learning none of them made a sound whilst out working.

How many of those dogs do you still own? I remember you starting your mali x at about 5 months or a tad younger

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's either a yaper or it isn't simple as that 

Mate had a little red merle coll/whip/grey would give a yip if he didn't have the first slip on the lamp when you first got in the field lol, other than that only time I've know dogs yap on the lamp i

nothing to big , something  old Bryn size  25in 60lb    , like said wanted  a pit x grey x collie x grey  12-14 years ago , but not many being bred that way back then, it was either straight  pit x gr

Posted Images

A mates fox dog started yapping after it was three years of age and only on day time foxes, never a sound at night or when running them in the day on open ground but if they hit cover he would start to yap, still caught plenty in cover but it did my mates head in.???.

This yapping malarkey ,there's certain types that are prone to it ,but it's like this I have seen many types yap open out etc,I find this start running young on conies etc very early can make em break out especially the little terrier whippet types, running the dales or open country ones jukel has the vision of there game. Mostly all times,unsighted hitting broken cover and bang yapping his borne .mentality of the jukel has all the bearing on the finished jukel yas can start em at twelve weeks twelve mths has far has yapping goes it's the hounds strength between those ears  that matters.atb bill

25 minutes ago, billhardy said:

This yapping malarkey ,there's certain types that are prone to it ,but it's like this I have seen many types yap open out etc,I find this start running young on conies etc very early can make em break out especially the little terrier whippet types, running the dales or open country ones jukel has the vision of there game. Mostly all times,unsighted hitting broken cover and bang yapping his borne .mentality of the jukel has all the bearing on the finished jukel yas can start em at twelve weeks twelve mths has far has yapping goes it's the hounds strength between those ears  that matters.atb bill

Well I agree and disagree with some of this bill. I've owned a few pure whippets, and a few dogs with a fair amount of whippet in, and NONE of them yapped when in pursuit, ever.

Personally, I believe it's not any particular type or cross or whatever, but purely frustration more than anything else. Age of starting the youngster, proximity to cover when slipped, and more than anything else, in my opinion, starting them alongside another dog. You see it even when just walking two youngsters together, one will always try to be in front, competition sort if thing

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Well I agree and disagree with some of this bill. I've owned a few pure whippets, and a few dogs with a fair amount of whippet in, and NONE of them yapped when in pursuit, ever.

Personally, I believe it's not any particular type or cross or whatever, but purely frustration more than anything else. Age of starting the youngster, proximity to cover when slipped, and more than anything else, in my opinion, starting them alongside another dog. You see it even when just walking two youngsters together, one will always try to be in front, competition sort if thing

how do you explain frustration when the dog yaps then goes on to catch it?

Fair ta say this whippets were not mentioned or singled out but I'll tell thee fa nought I Sen many a whippet yap all depends on the animal , some animals can be ran through trash cover scrub heavy cover Neva make a peep others need to be handled with kid gloves open ground running etc . I allways ener jukels s gle this doubling up entering fa those that don't know better ,the jukels instincts and natural breeding will alls that's needed other than the handlers guidance it's not allways frustration yas can get jukels that have the best of ground entering etc and still open up ,odd yips are usually borne in unsighted cover hunting ,I say this those that are going a go on on and stay silent usually get over little early mistakes on the handlers part ,there's animals that can be ran straight out a the nest Arne never open up any land cover etc  this frustration froze don't allways hold water I seen them run ground no cover silent run same jukel broken cover yapped sometimes little all depending .seen those types that give a little yik then bang make contact with coney ,I'll say it again it's ta do do with how the jukels mental demeanour his .yas mention whippets use show blood on a yap per steadies them down they more bomb proof mental state of mind ,I believe I seen mostly lots a types yap but here we have it again flaws in the mental soundness of a animal has for me a big say in the yapping debate .atb bill

1 hour ago, billhardy said:

Lot between the ears from stoke???

Crackers  plenty knowledgable dog men up there in Stoke I know that fa sure ,and they got plenty of personal experience , there plenty of famous engineers from that region Michele spitfire designer could be argued with out it we would now be slaves to the German rake of hitler  what that's got do with yapping jukels feck knows but I knows this like jukels etc yas get poor good indifferent and occasionally good ,a jukel that can control its state of mind don't yapped the excite able noises feckercana help but break out  lol. A yapped his born.