best all round lurcher?

2 hours ago, shaaark said:

I think that's the case with most yappers, to be honest. With most crosses/types.

I have no problem whatsoever, in waiting for a youngster to mature a bit, physically 'and' mentally, before I start them. I'm in no rush ?

Me to pal no rush at all bringing young uns on I’d rather wait it out than rouin them by being to keen 

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's either a yaper or it isn't simple as that 

Mate had a little red merle coll/whip/grey would give a yip if he didn't have the first slip on the lamp when you first got in the field lol, other than that only time I've know dogs yap on the lamp i

nothing to big , something  old Bryn size  25in 60lb    , like said wanted  a pit x grey x collie x grey  12-14 years ago , but not many being bred that way back then, it was either straight  pit x gr

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Mate had a little red merle coll/whip/grey would give a yip if he didn't have the first slip on the lamp when you first got in the field lol, other than that only time I've know dogs yap on the lamp is when they unfit or over matched?

Not disagreeing with you. Just saying most dogs I've heard of that yap, have been started far too young, when they've not got enough speed, or the mental maturity needed.

Anyway, how's this for odd behaviour? My old dog, without fail, after a break from lamping of about two weeks, would throw the 1st rabbit he caught up into the air, before catching it when it came back down before retrieving it lol. After that, he'd settle and be on normal behaviour

3 hours ago, poxon said:

The bedlington xs I’ve heard of that are yappers have always been by inpatient people  trying to enter them on the lamp as saplings at about 6months old telling people there ready for a few runs as there mature enough .... the answer is in my reply 

What’s the excuse for a dog that yaps when brought on when mature. There’s plenty of them and not just the beddy cross

8 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

What’s the excuse for a dog that yaps when brought on when mature. There’s plenty of them and not just the beddy cross

sometimes it can be excitement.people say its frustration when quarry getting away from it.but i have seen them yap & go on & catch it.thats why i believe sometimes its excitement. 

Dc hit the nail on the head as did a few others bad handling I have Seen happen more often when there's another dog involved especially when they take the lead over the other on the run which I think is frustration some can live with it some can't it's up to you at the end of the day 

3 minutes ago, blackmaggie said:

Dc hit the nail on the head as did a few others bad handling I have Seen happen more often when there's another dog involved especially when they take the lead over the other on the run which I think is frustration some can live with it some can't it's up to you at the end of the day 

how can it be bad handling when a dog's been entered on its at a mature age? i think northernlite has got it right ?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, fred90 said:

how can it be bad handling when a dog's been entered on its at a mature age? i think northernlite has got it right ?

I agree. The last 3 dogs I’ve had have been out lamping with me from pups watching learning none of them made a sound whilst out working.

1 minute ago, blackmaggie said:

Because some can't see when enough enough and the dogs had enough regardless of age or entering but they will continue on normally when in company trying to show of normally chasing numbers and when they tire frustration can kick in 

thats a good point & could lead to it but as northernlite says some are naturally yappers & no amount of entering will prevent it.

• Like 2

I totally agree fred some are born to do it but not all I think a lot also comes down to this number chasing or over matching them just for a bit of bragging rights everyone loves to test there dogs just some over do it and don't know when to call it a night and that goes for experienced lads to 

• Like 2

there's been many dog's ruined by impatient owners.when i was younger if the dog missed a rabbit it was end of the world i had no patience.now i am a old fart i am enjoying it more & patience is my middle name ?

• Like 1