phill hill south wales miner

hi all don't know how to start this but here goes, phill was a good mate of mine, the best of the best, a hard working man who had no enimies, he went through hell recently when he lost his mother and his son, at our local we'd allways talk about dogs, ferrets, fishing and field sports, he loved his spaniels. we'd often help each other out with ferrets, he passed me 2 days before he was killed and waved but being in work i couldn't stop, i rember looking as he walked away thinking to myself, thats a pair of shoulders ! in tears i can't believe i'm posting this!!!!!!!!! and here i'am sitting in front of the fire burning welsh anthracite. i'll never forget you mate, SFA

• Like 7

Never been near a pit myself, but it takes a certain breed of man to have the courage to work such a dangerous, thankless job to feed himself and his family. RIP to Phil Hill and the other 3, brave souls.

Max Boyce is more famous for his songs about rugby, but as an ex miner he knows what he's on about in this one when he talks about the hardships those lads have to endure to make a living. Any man who takes that path deserves nothing but the utmost respect in life and in death. :notworthy:

we all take power for granted we sit in front of pc's and at the flick of a switch there is power . coal, oil fossil fuels

from the deep , miners and oilworkers a round the the world daily risk life and limb to extract both , the welshmen

who paid with there lives last week are hero's working class hero's , REMEMBER THEM, RIP COLLIERS

• Like 4

RIP....Phillip Hill, Charles Breslin, David Powell and Garry Jenkins.

There's a cry in the valleys, tears in the West

Mourning the heroes that wear the pit vest

Underground grafters always put in a shift

Below the hillside in the deep dark drift

Their not coming home to their children their wives

The mine once again takes cherished lives

The coalfields of Britain all unite in your mourn

We're all the same breed We're pit village born

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

A Welshman stood at the golden gate, his head was bent and low.

He meekly asked the man of fate, The way that he should go.

'What have you done' St. Peter said 'To gain admission here?'

'I merely mined for coal' he said, 'for many and many a year.'

St. Peter opened wide the gate, And softly tolled the bell.

'Come and choose your harp' he said 'You've had your share of hell.'

hi all don't know how to start this but here goes, phill was a good mate of mine, the best of the best, a hard working man who had no enimies, he went through hell recently when he lost his mother and his son, at our local we'd allways talk about dogs, ferrets, fishing and field sports, he loved his spaniels. we'd often help each other out with ferrets, he passed me 2 days before he was killed and waved but being in work i couldn't stop, i rember looking as he walked away thinking to myself, thats a pair of shoulders ! in tears i can't believe i'm posting this!!!!!!!!! and here i'am sitting in front of the fire burning welsh anthracite. i'll never forget you mate, S.FA

nearly in tears for ya pal,i worked at the mines 80,s my old man befor me,his befor him,so do feel for all involved ,in the strike the welsh lads proved there worth ,come to yorkshire to march side by side with yorks miners,but think this way better to have known and lost than not have known the bloke,god bless them all .and there familys